Archer: Anthony Spencer waits patiently for talks

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anthony Spencer waits patiently for talks

May, 8, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – As the Cowboys and Doug Free work toward either a breakup or an altered marriage, Anthony Spencer waits patiently.

Spencer is scheduled to make $10.627 million this year after the Cowboys placed the franchise tag on him for the second straight season. The Cowboys and Spencer would like to work out a longer-team deal this offseason, but other concerns ranked higher for the club so far, like re-signing Tony Romo, the draft and now Free’s future.

Spencer’s agent, Jordan Woy, expects to talk with the Cowboys in the near future in hopes of working out a deal.

The sides would have to reach an agreement on a new deal by June 15 or Spencer would play this season under the tag and become an unrestricted free agent next March.

The free-agent defensive end market did not heat up the way some thought. Seattle signed Cliff Avril to a two-year, $15 million deal. Michael Bennett got a one-year, $5 million deal. Both players were expected to command more money and years.

Spencer, coming off a career-high 11 sacks and his first Pro Bowl appearance, will move from outside linebacker to defensive end as the Cowboys switch to a 4-3 scheme.

With a new contract, the Cowboys would gain cap space that would give them a better chance to sign Sean Lee to a new deal. Lee is set to become a free agent after this season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
4 years/22 mil/13 guaranteed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
There is no reason for him to take a deal like that now though. He got his franchise tender and can just play, then when a team like NO comes sniffing back for 3-4 OLB then he can go to them. My view on Spencer has changed quite a bit, but he certainly is not worth the money we are paying him this year and may prove to be a horrid fit oppostie Ware.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, why would he take 13 guaranteed when he has 10 guaranteed right now just for playing this year? I was fine with negotiating with Spencer (and others) but franchising him was a mistake. If we had been talking to several DEs it could have been us landing Cliff Avril for slightly more than the bargain basement price Seattle paid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In a vacuum those numbers look good, but when you consider how much money we already have committed to the cap next year, and with the upcoming re-signings imminent, you wonder if it's possible.

Extension for 29 year old Spencer... or extension for 24 year old Dez Bryant?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In a vacuum those numbers look good, but when you consider how much money we already have committed to the cap next year, and with the upcoming re-signings imminent, you wonder if it's possible.

Extension for 29 year old Spencer... or extension for 24 year old Dez Bryant?
And don't forget Sean Lee whose contract is probably due sooner than Bryant's.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But as usual this team painted itself into a corner and has no choice but to bring him back. They literally have nobody to replace him.

God help us if Spencer or Ware get injured.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But as usual this team painted itself into a corner and has no choice but to bring him back. They literally have nobody to replace him.

God help us if Spencer or Ware get injured.
Crawford is in line to replace Spencer, and is frankly better suited given how light Hatcher and Ratliff are.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought they were throwing Crawford in at DT?
I think he just like, plays...wherever!

That's how prepared this team is for half their starting DL being free agents in a year.

It is disgusting how poorly managed this team is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought they were throwing Crawford in at DT?
Considering we basically have no true backup DE's other then Crawford I'm not sure we have a choice. Other then Kyle Wilber (Questionable fit as a DE) and Crawford I don't even know who else will play DE in Dallas behind Ware and Spencer. I wouldn't mind Crawford bulking up to play the 3 technique DT spot, but I have no idea who will rotate in at DE this upcoming season.

Top Bottom