Graziano: Debate time - Best NFC East WR tandems

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Debate time: Best NFC East WR tandems
May, 8, 2013

By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

This came up in the chat Tuesday, and I figured it was worth a post in which you guys could bat it around and argue with each other: Who's got the best wide receivers in the NFC East at the moment? There is a poll over here in which you can vote on which team has the best starting duo.

Which NFC East team has the best starting WR duo?

We did this a couple of years ago, I remember, and I picked the Giants' guys over the Eagles' guys and got some heat for it. I think at the time I was still projecting Steve Smith as the No. 2 in New York behind Hakeem Nicks. So while I think the past two years have supported my pick, I admit I didn't see Victor Cruz factoring into this debate to the extent that he has.

At this point, with Jackson and Maclin having failed to live up to those 2011 expectations, I think the Cowboys' tandem is the Giants' chief competition. The way Dez Bryant came on last year makes you think he might be about to live up to his incredible potential and become one of the dominant receivers in the league. This would make Miles Austin as good a No. 2 receiver as there is anywhere in the league, except in East Rutherford, where Cruz is a ridiculously productive No. 2 when Nicks is healthy.

And that's the crux of it, right? If Nicks were healthy, I'd still vote for him and Cruz over Bryant and Austin, though I say it's close and Bryant right now is the best of the four. Nicks was not healthy last season, and has not shown much of an ability to stay healthy for a full season. So you have to downgrade him a little bit, which tightens the competition. I believe he's a more complete wide receiver (again, when healthy) than Bryant is at this point in their careers, but I think Bryant's game-breaking ability and the mismatches he creates in the secondary offer him the opportunity to be the better player long-term. Whether he cashes in on that opportunity, obviously, remains to be seen.

The Redskins are here too, of course, though I struggle to tell you for certain which of their wideouts is the No. 2 behind Pierre Garcon. In the poll, I went with Josh Morgan, though it could have been Leonard Hankerson or even Santana Moss, who's more of a slot receiver. I think the questions about No. 2, and the questions about the health of Garcon's foot, push them to fourth in this debate, even behind the Eagles' guys. But obviously, based on last season, you'd take Garcon over Jackson or Maclin.

So fire away. Duke it out. Have at it. These tend to be fun.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm going to shock a few here, but I think the Cowboys WR tandem is the best in the division.

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

I think it's a tossup between us and the Giants.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
What does it matter when you're QB is sacked in a nano-second...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you are talking tandems, and everyone is healthy....I give the Giants the nod. But with Nicks and Austin missing time a lot, its equal.

I am hoping Williams shows enough to kick Austin to the curb soon.

Lotuseater

Banned
No, no, your talking to him all wrong. Your supossed to lash out and call him a Homer and to "GFY". Those are the rules.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

I think it's a tossup between us and the Giants.
Ugh, I agree with Iamtdg

I'd take a healthy Bryant over a healthy Nicks but I'd take a healthy Cruz over a healthy Austin. Nicks and Bryant are the types of WR's you can put in any offense and they will put numbers up. Cruz and Austin are the types of WR with some talent but the reason they put up big numbers has as much to do with the offense they play in and the QB that is throwing them the ball.

Both teams have extremely talented starting WRs. I like our depth a little better but that's really just arguing about a bunch of unknowns.

Lotuseater

Banned
HA! I knew it.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I would take Dez and Miles over any team's combo in the league if only Austin could stay healthy.

Cotton

Staff member
No, no, your talking to him all wrong. Your supossed to lash out and call him a Homer and to "GFY". Those are the rules.
If he had said something stupid we would have.

Kinda like you the other day in that other thread.

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member
Ugh, I agree with Iamtdg

I'd take a healthy Bryant over a healthy Nicks but I'd take a healthy Cruz over a healthy Austin. Nicks and Bryant are the types of WR's you can put in any offense and they will put numbers up. Cruz and Austin are the types of WR with some talent but the reason they put up big numbers has as much to do with the offense they play in and the QB that is throwing them the ball.

Both teams have extremely talented starting WRs. I like our depth a little better but that's really just arguing about a bunch of unknowns.
Does it feel good to be right?

It feels good, doesn't it?

Lotuseater

Banned
So saying we have the best WRs in the NFC east while the Giants have won two superbowls with thiers isn't stupid?

Funny way of looking at things you have.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would take Dez and Miles over any team's combo in the league if only Austin could stay healthy.
Over Roddy White and Julio Jones?

That has to be the best WR pair in football right now.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'll take Victor "I can make big-time plays consistently" Cruz over Miles "I lost the ball in the lights...POP goes my hamstring" Austin.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Over Roddy White and Julio Jones?

That has to be the best WR pair in football right now.
Yeah...pretty stout duo right there. Julio is a beast.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Honestly...at this point I pretty much take Dez and another warm body over everyone else in the division. He is the best WR in the division and it is not really even that close.

Top Bottom