Watkins: Does Victor Cruz's contract impact Dez Bryant?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does Victor Cruz's contract impact Dez Bryant?

May, 8, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

When you look at some of the younger wide receivers in the NFL, finances are a major part of the discussion.

Which brings us to what the New York Giants' Victor Cruz is looking for from his team and what Dez Bryant could potentially demand from the Dallas Cowboys.

Cruz was tendered by the Giants at $2.8 million but wants a long-term deal averaging close to $10 million a season. The Giants want him to average less than that.

What does this mean for Bryant?

The young receiver is signed through 2014 and will make base salaries of $1.5 million in 2013 and $1.7 million in 2014. He's also slated to make $500,000 in workout bonuses the next two seasons.

Bryant is coming off a career season where he had 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's emerged as Tony Romo's main target in the passing game and might become the emotional leader of the offense if he continues on his current path.

The Cowboys need to be cautious what they pay Bryant because of his questionable decisions off the field -- which, in fairness, don't seem to be an issue anymore -- and what the top receivers make.

Larry Fitzgerald ($16.1 million), Calvin Johnson ($15.6 million), Andre Johnson ($14.4 million), Mike Wallace ($12 million) and Dwayne Bowe ($11.2 million) are at the top of the average salaries per seasons for wide receivers.

Does Cruz belong at that level? What about Bryant?

Whatever Cruz gets, Bryant's agent, Eugene Parker, will look at and make sure he tells Jerry and Stephen Jones to take care of his client from a financial standpoint.
----------------

Honestly, with Bryant's instability, I would be scared if we took him above the Mike Wallace range. I do think he is maturing, but I am not buying he's completely there.

As for Cruz, I don't think he's nearly as elite as any of the top four guys. To me, he's a lot like Miles Austin, except healthier. Hopefully the Giants think otherwise and bust their cap open to pay him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Honestly, with Bryant's instability, I would be scared if we took him above the Mike Wallace range. I do think he is maturing, but I am not buying he's completely there.

As for Cruz, I don't think he's nearly as elite as any of the top four guys. To me, he's a lot like Miles Austin, except healthier. Hopefully the Giants think otherwise and bust their cap open to pay him.
His best work is done from the slot, and I think Roddy White was right when he responded to a question about Cruz by saying "The big boys play on the outside".

The guy is a good player, I won't try to take that away from him. But he's not one of those guys that you just plug in and he's gonna be good anywhere.

Dez is clearly the superior player and it's just matter of whether he can permanently put aside his off-the-field crap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His best work is done from the slot, and I think Roddy White was right when he responded to a question about Cruz by saying "The big boys play on the outside".

The guy is a good player, I won't try to take that away from him. But he's not one of those guys that you just plug in and he's gonna be good anywhere.

Dez is clearly the superior player and it's just matter of whether he can permanently put aside his off-the-field crap.
Yep. That's why I compare him to Austin.

Take Miles and try to make a number one out of him? The results would be terrible.

Same for Cruz. He benefits from having Nicks across from him.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Miles would have no problem being a #1 WR if he didn't have bitch hammies. He's done it before.

Obviously he'll be an incredible #2 behind Dez if healthy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Miles would have no problem being a #1 WR if he didn't have bitch hammies. He's done it before.

Obviously he'll be an incredible #2 behind Dez if healthy.
He's done it for one year, that's it.

After watching the last 3 seasons, I think we know the guy is not a #1.

dallen

Senior Tech
Isn't Cruz's agent Jay-Z? It worked out really well for Ricky Williams hiring a rapper as a agent

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I don't think a sane, non-redneck idiot GM is ever really ready to commit that much money to one player. But in this case Dallas is kind of pot-committed to Bryant. What are the chances they find another WR capable of Bryant's level of impact? I think Jerral knows it's somewhere between slim and none. I think they also recognize this is probably Austin's last or second to last year with the team and view Bryant, Williams, and Harris as the future. Not a bad vision, really, though they lack top-end speed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think a sane, non-redneck idiot GM is ever really ready to commit that much money to one player. But in this case Dallas is kind of pot-committed to Bryant. What are the chances they find another WR capable of Bryant's level of impact? I think Jerral knows it's somewhere between slim and none. I think they also recognize this is probably Austin's last or second to last year with the team and view Bryant, Williams, and Harris as the future. Not a bad vision, really, though they lack top-end speed.
Williams can get deep though.

Bryant used to be able to. Seem to disappear a little this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Williams can get deep though.

Bryant used to be able to. Seem to disappear a little this year.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how well Williams' speed translates vs. NFL competition. His clocked time is in the 4.5's and those who exhibit NFL elite speed usually clock in the 4.4s, but some players are just faster on the football field and Williams' production seems to indicate he's one of those guys. I know Bryant plays faster than his 4.5-4.6 clock speed, but you can see he has a hard time pulling away without being physical or making the crazy moves he makes. He had three amazing long-distance plays (two vs NO and one vs Washington) that I recall off the top in 2012 and in each case he shook the defense with moves after the catch that can't be taught rather than beat them with speed.

It's speed that makes the defense back off. In Washington to end the season, Hall had no problems sticking to Bryant like glue. Romo couldn't gun the ball in the cold and wind and Bryant couldn't beat Hall with speed. The rest of the defense could crowd the intermediate field and there was no one who could get open in time before the blitz arrived at Romo.

Victor Cruz has that speed, and burned Washington with it.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
This is a retarded article.

Oh, Calvin Watkins. Carry on.

Top Bottom