MacMahon: Morris Claiborne ready for action

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Morris Claiborne ready for action
August, 25, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne returned to practice Monday and declared himself ready for game action.

That’s not to say that Claiborne, who has missed the three preseason games due to knee tendinitis and a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder, is completely healthy. He still has soreness in the shoulder, which sidelined him the last two weeks, but he’s ready to play in Thursday night’s preseason finale if the coaches ask him to, as anticipated.

“I don’t know how many snaps they want me to play, but whatever they want me to do, I’m up to do it,” said Claiborne, who worked with the starting defense on Monday.

Claiborne, who has missed 10 of 12 preseason games in his career due to a variety of injuries, sprained the AC joint in his other shoulder during last season’s opener. He played with a harness to protect his shoulder the rest of the season and underwent offseason surgery.

This sprain isn’t as serious. He’ll wear a small extra pad underneath his shoulder pads as protection, but it’s not nearly as painful as the injury a year ago.

“It’s an AC sprain, so you know it’s going to be sore,” Claiborne said. “I don’t know if you ever had one before, but they get pretty sore. After a week or so, I don’t think it’ll be healed. It’s better, definitely better. I have more range of motion in it. I can reach up now. It’s getting better each and every day. It’s up to the coaches [at] game time.”

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think he makes it to the regular season. He's going to pull or tear something else before the season opener.

It. Will. Happen.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think he makes it to the regular season. He's going to pull or tear something else before the season opener.

It. Will. Happen.
No, he will play week 1 only to get hurt during the game itself after at least one penalty and almost making a play or two.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

It's a miracle! He skips camp again and suddenly is healed! Halleujah!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

It's a miracle! He skips camp again and suddenly is healed! Halleujah!
You have to love it when players some how manage to be injured though the entire offseason and are suddenly healthy when the games matter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You have to love it when players some how manage to be injured though the entire offseason and are suddenly healthy when the games matter.
They matter in preseason when players give a shit or feel they have a job to fight for.

As much as a loathe Claiborne (easily my least favorite player right now), it is easy to see why he would want to take advantage of the culture.

He does it because he can.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Claiborne likely out for preseason finale
August, 27, 2014
4:38 PM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne will "probably not" play in the team's Thursday preseason finale, executive vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones said.

This would mark the second consecutive preseason that Claiborne, the sixth overall pick in the 2012 draft, did not play a down. The Cowboys coaches hoped to get him some action Thursday against the Denver Broncos after Claiborne missed one game with knee tendinitis and the last two due to a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder.

"Just not worth the risk to go backwards with this fragile little bitch," Jones said after the team's kickoff luncheon. "You know those shoulder injuries; they get sore on you quickly and if Morris has proven anything it's that he is an unreliable little pussy that can't handle the soreness associated with playing in the NFL. After really going over it with our trainers and doctors, probably the better decision here is to let him get fully healed and then put him out there."

Claiborne returned to practice this week, saying Tuesday that he's ready for game action despite still feeling soreness in the shoulder.

Defensive tackle Henry Melton, the team's other starter who has yet to play this preseason, is expected to get some snaps against the Broncos.

Melton, whose final season with the Chicago Bears ended early due to a torn ACL suffered in September, missed the last two weeks because of a strained groin. Jones said Melton indicated he wanted to play in the preseason finale to chip off some rust before the regular season begins.

"He's ready to go and I think he just wants the peace of mind that he's going to feel good when he starts against the 49ers," Jones said.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Just not worth the risk to go backwards with this fragile little bitch," Jones said after the team's kickoff luncheon. "You know those shoulder injuries; they get sore on you quickly and if Morris has proven anything it's that he is an unreliable little pussy that can't handle the soreness associated with playing in the NFL. After really going over it with our trainers and doctors, probably the better decision here is to let him get fully healed and then put him out there.".
I love creative editing. :art

But I would love to hear this kind of frank honest talk. Just once.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I wonder what the Jets would give us for him. Anyhoo, Scandy's suspension means Mo's not going anywhere.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wonder what the Jets would give us for him. Anyhoo, Scandy's suspension means Mo's not going anywhere.
If I ran the team, once Scandrick returns, I pimp the shit out of Claiborne to the Jets. They are really screwed at CB.

Top Bottom