Watkins: Tyron Smith needs more improvement

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tyron Smith needs more improvement

May, 7, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

There is so much talk about whether or not the Dallas Cowboys should keep right tackleDoug Free. A pay cut and he stays. If he refuses, the Cowboys have a decision to make.

What about the starting left tackle Tyron Smith.

It's not like he had a Pro Bowl 2012 season. He finished tied for second in the NFL with seven false starts (Free led the NFL with eight), he allowed just three sacks and while he didn't lose any practice snaps because of his play, he was pretty good.

But the Cowboys need Smith to perform at an elite level. When he was drafted, ninth pick of the 2011 NFL draft, the objective was to move him from right tackle to the left side. Smith eventually went there in 2012 and the results were pretty good.

Smith wasn't a dominant tackle, but the Cowboys need him to be in 2013.

In 2010, there were two tackles, Trent Williams and Russell Okung, who where Top 10 picks but have made at least one Pro Bowl. Smith needs to reach that level in year three of his career.

Smith is good with power, athletic ability and smarts. The Cowboys rely on him to become the stable force at the left side and aren't afraid to run toward his side of the line.

The future looks good for him, but he needs to get better.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Weird article - kind of all over the place.

Smith was okay last year, but given his age and his relative inexperience on the left side, I don't think there's any reason to call him out right now. He's probably about where we'd expect him to be at this stage of his development.

Now, if 2013 is underwhelming, then we need to start looking in his direction.

But I think it's premature to say that he needs to be an elite, pro-bowl type next season. He just needs to be good, to progress from where he was at in 2012.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Weird article - kind of all over the place.

Smith was okay last year, but given his age and his relative inexperience on the left side, I don't think there's any reason to call him out right now. He's probably about where we'd expect him to be at this stage of his development.

Now, if 2013 is underwhelming, then we need to start looking in his direction.

But I think it's premature to say that he needs to be an elite, pro-bowl type next season. He just needs to be good, to progress from where he was at in 2012.
Smith absolutely needs to build strength, but the team around him makes a difference as to how "elite" he is perceived.

If your offense is faking the run from the pistol most of the time like Okung's and Williams's do, then you're going to statistically appear elite because the pass rush has been limited by scheme. Once that pistol gimmick gets blown Okung and Williams will have to perform like everyone else and we'll see who's really "elite".

Smith's biggest problem (besides Garrett's play-calling) might be the fact that Livings is blocking next to him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Smith is the last guy you need to worry about with the OL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Smith is the last guy you need to worry about with the OL.
Give him a pass for last year if you want.

If he plays that way again, you better start worrying. It was barely average at times.

Honestly, I thought he was much better on the right side. He seemed more natural and took fewer risks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Give him a pass for last year if you want.

If he plays that way again, you better start worrying. It was barely average at times.

Honestly, I thought he was much better on the right side. He seemed more natural and took fewer risks.
Maybe so but of the entire OL Smith is the most likely to perform well this season barring injury.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
How about finding 3 more offensive linemen who can play? That may help him, too.

Top Bottom