Mailbag: How Did The Interior Line Affect Free’s Play Outside?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mailbag: How Did The Interior Line Affect Free’s Play Outside?

Posted 11 hours ago

ALDO PIPPO
VANCOUVER, BC
Doug Free had a rough year last year. Is there any merit to the notion that the poor interior line play had a ripple effect? With an expected stronger interior, should we expect a better year from Doug Free?

Bryan: You should expect a better year from Free if he improves his technique. If he doesn’t punch and allows his hands to work outside the framework of the rusher’s body and he doesn’t get separation, he will struggle like he has the last two seasons. When Free has a chance, he gets his hands inside on the rusher and this allows him to sit down. When he misses with his hands and he gets too high, he has no shot. There are strength issues with him at times and this is because of his hands. With him it has never been about his feet but watch when he misses with his punch, it’s not good.

Rowan: That’s what the team expects. Otherwise, a player like Tyson Clabo would have already been on the team. The Cowboys’ executives brought in Travis Frederick hoping he could solidify the base of the line and make everyone else around him better. Still, Free has to win more on his 1-on-1’s. If he plays at the level he did early on last year, strong center play may not do much. The difference entering this year is he’ll have to earn the spot with Jermey Parnell pushing him. The Cowboys liked what they saw out of Free as he rotated with Parnell last year.

JIMMY SMITH
HARTFORD, CT
Drafting Terrence Williams makes it seem like the Cowboys aren't really sold on Cole Beasley or Dwayne Harris to secure the third receiver spot. Why the lack of confidence? Dwayne Harris really seemed to play well whenever he was given the opportunity.

Bryan: There is a new receivers coach in the mix, and for Beasley and Harris it’s like starting over. I am not saying that neither player could make a run at that third receiver spot, but there are more limitations with their overall game than what the scouts saw in Williams. I honestly believe that Williams was brought in for Miles Austin’s spot down the road if the cap situation once again gets tight. Williams has a shot to develop more as a starter than say Harris or Beasley but I do not see either of them going quietly in this camp.

Rowan: I don’t think it’s a lack of confidence in the other players as much as it is value at the spot. They at least considered Williams with the 31st pick because of his talent, so when he was still around in the third round, they pounced at the opportunity to get the NCAA’s leading receiver last year. Consequently, that may mean fewer opportunities for Beasley and Harris. But the pick was made because of what Williams can bring to the team and not necessarily because of the play of the other receivers.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
With Clabo gone, the spin machine is now in full cycle. Yeah Travis Frederick is going to make Doug Free block better. My ass it will.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If this is their theory then Brandon Moore should already be in Dallas having Jerry throw hookers and blow at him trying to get him to sign a contract.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Bryan: You should expect a better year from Free if he improves his technique. If he doesn’t punch and allows his hands to work outside the framework of the rusher’s body and he doesn’t get separation, he will struggle like he has the last two seasons. When Free has a chance, he gets his hands inside on the rusher and this allows him to sit down. When he misses with his hands and he gets too high, he has no shot. There are strength issues with him at times and this is because of his hands. With him it has never been about his feet but watch when he misses with his punch, it’s not good.
But...how could this be with All-World OL coach Bill Callahan and All-Universe Strength and Conditioning coach Mike Woicik on the staff? :rolleyes:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
But...how could this be with All-World OL coach Bill Callahan and All-Universe Strength and Conditioning coach Mike Woicik on the staff? :rolleyes:

Ya, I like how this douche says "expect a better year from him if he improves his technique." The more succinct answer to the question would be, "No."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They had the replay of the Jets Hard Knocks on and I caught a few moments of it.

Beyond the Rex Ryan idiocy, the other thing that stuck out to me was how Callahan was. Honestly, it didn't look like anybody was listening to him. It reminded me a little of watching Garrett craphead brother huffing and puffing to Martellus Bennett and how he didn't connect with the guy.

It is one thing to know your stuff. It is another thing to be able to communicate it. It is another to actually be able to get that message to different kinds of people.

There are times where I think coaches get reputations for being "great" when often it is not a case of them making the average good, but just get smart good players to play great. In other words, how good is a teacher if they are teaching a genius to begin with?

I can tell you this...I am not impressed with Bill Callahan. Not a single bit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rome wasn't built in a day? This shit takes time to develop.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I wish we had hired a new offensive coordinator this offseason. Our offensive coaches leave a lot to be desired (including you-know-who).

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Rome wasn't built in a day? This shit takes time to develop.
Woicik has been back for a couple of seasons now, right? And Callahan had a full offseason/season to work on getting Free to improve his technique. This isn't a rookie player who was coming out of college with raw skills and needing to bulk up for the NFL. The guy has been in the league/on the team for years now.

It's just funny how much stock was put into the Woicik hire and how it was going to make such an impact. Guys were going to be stronger, there would be less injuries, etc. And Callahan was touted as this genius OL coach that was going to "coach up" his players. I understand that these guys probably have improved some players but when I look at a guy like Doug Free, who seems to have only gotten worse since their arrival, and David Arkin who they loved in the draft but still isn't strong enough/good enough to even be active on gamedays (and will not make the roster this year) I have to question how much difference these guys are really making.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woicik has been back for a couple of seasons now, right?
He has really only had one full off season to work with the players. This one will be his second full off season. Weight lifting doesn't change people over night. It can take a few years to really build a player up and develop them. Of course some players can work their tail off in the weight room and struggle to ever develop because genetics play heavily into it as well. Free will probably never develop into a super strong player, but I don't know if I would judge Woicik's performance based off one off season of training.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
They had the replay of the Jets Hard Knocks on and I caught a few moments of it.

Beyond the Rex Ryan idiocy, the other thing that stuck out to me was how Callahan was. Honestly, it didn't look like anybody was listening to him. It reminded me a little of watching Garrett craphead brother huffing and puffing to Martellus Bennett and how he didn't connect with the guy.

It is one thing to know your stuff. It is another thing to be able to communicate it. It is another to actually be able to get that message to different kinds of people.

There are times where I think coaches get reputations for being "great" when often it is not a case of them making the average good, but just get smart good players to play great. In other words, how good is a teacher if they are teaching a genius to begin with?

Excellent post. I agree 100%. You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you lack charisma, you may not be able to communicate it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He has really only had one full off season to work with the players. This one will be his second full off season. Weight lifting doesn't change people over night. It can take a few years to really build a player up and develop them. Of course some players can work their tail off in the weight room and struggle to ever develop because genetics play heavily into it as well. Free will probably never develop into a super strong player, but I don't know if I would judge Woicik's performance based off one off season of training.
So far I have seen nothing to suggest that either of these guys is any better than the average coach. Free is getting worse, Livings and Bernadeau weren't very good, projects like Arkin have failed to develop, Smith was pretty good but not great (though I give him a pass because of his age/position switch)...maybe they need more time but I'm of the opinion that all more time will do is solidify my suspicions that they are, in fact, nothing special. I can see giving Woicik a slight pass since it probably will take more time for his work to show up in players, but I think the difference between one strength and conditioning coach over another is probably minimal. And if Callahan is truly an elite OL coach I think we would have seen some of those results last year. We did not.

Top Bottom