Sabin: Kyle Wilber shows versatility as strongside linebacker, defensive end

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kyle Wilber shows versatility as strongside linebacker, defensive end
By Rainer Sabin rsabin@dallasnews.com
9:36 pm on July 29, 2014 | Permalink

OXNARD, Calif. — Not too long ago, Kyle Wilber was a man without a defined job description. Was he a defensive end, the position he played the first 10 games of last season? Or was he a strongside linebacker, the role he filled the final six weeks? Turns out he’s both. Wilber is the starting Sam linebacker in the team’s base defense and a hand-on-the-ground edge rusher in the nickel package, making him a three-down player in most scenarios.

“Coach always says that the more you can do, the more the versatile you are, the better,” Wilber said.

Wilber has took that advice to heart and curried favor with his superiors by doing whatever they ask.

“He’s smart,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “He understands the blitzes and all those things. What we keep emphasizing to these men is bring as many things as you can do to help us win… If he rushes, he plays.”

Last season, Wilber played 511 snaps – the fifth-highest total by a Cowboys defender. This season, he could be on the field even more, given that head coach Jason Garrett is enamored with Wilber’s versatility.

“He becomes a player who is a valuable asset to our team,” Garrett said. “He’s one of those guys who really says nothing, he’s not really an overly animated guy off the field, he just goes to work every day and he’s gotten better and better and better since he’s been here. I love his approach and love having him on our team.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm optimistic about Wilber, I think he could be pretty solid as the strongside LB. He can stand up to OT's against the run and I think he's a plus matchup against TE's or RB's/FB's against the run or when rushing the passer.

I don't expect him to provide too much in terms of pass rush and he likely comes off the field in passing situations but if he can hold down that strongside spot in base formations, that's valuable.

Top Bottom