1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m
Tackle Tyson Clabo is signing with Miami today
-------------------------------------------------

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We're really going to go with Free and Parnell at RT, aren't we?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God damn it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We're really going to go with Free and Parnell at RT, aren't we?
Seems like it. Although sources did say that Free doesn't believe he'll be back.

I don't blame Free for not wanting to take a pay cut. It's not his fault the idiots in charge have a habit of overpaying players based on sample size of production.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd cut Free and roll with Parnell just to make a point.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Done deal per ESPN.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unbelievable. Well....not really. This kind of FAIL we should be used to.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Seems like it. Although sources did say that Free doesn't believe he'll be back.

I don't blame Free for not wanting to take a pay cut. It's not his fault the idiots in charge have a habit of overpaying players based on sample size of production.
I don't believe that report for a second. Probably just his agent trying to bluff Jerry. And Jerry will probably panic and fold.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Even for this organization, this Free situation is just mind-boggling.

Why is this situation still unsettled? We're talking about Doug fricking Free here.

I said it before and I'll say it again - this should have been settled in 24-48 hours, tops.

"Doug, you were arguably the worst RT in all of football last year. You led the league in penalties and sacks allowed. Fact of the matter is, you're not performing up to your contract and we're in a tight cap situation. We'd like you to stay and compete for a job, but not under your current numbers. We need you to take a pay cut. If you cannot, then we'll be forced to let you go. We need to get a decision from you on this ASAP, so you have 48 hours to decide. If we don't hear back from by then, then we'll assume that you're not willing to take the cut and we'll be forced to release you."

That should have been the entire extent of that conversation, and he should have agreed to a reduced salary or have been cut by now. The fact that we are treating him and this situation as if this is Emmitt Smith prior to 1993 season is just ridiculous. This team is beyond stupid.

WTF is taking so long?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even for this organization, this Free situation is just mind-boggling.

Why is this situation still unsettled? We're talking about Doug fricking Free here.

I said it before and I'll say it again - this should have been settled in 24-48 hours, tops.

"Doug, you were arguably the worst RT in all of football last year. You led the league in penalties and sacks allowed. Fact of the matter is, you're not performing up to your contract and we're in a tight cap situation. We'd like you to stay and compete for a job, but not under your current numbers. We need you to take a pay cut. If you cannot, then we'll be forced to let you go. We need to get a decision from you on this ASAP, so you have 48 hours to decide. If we don't hear back from by then, then we'll assume that you're not willing to take the cut and we'll be forced to release you."

That should have been the entire extent of that conversation, and he should have agreed to a reduced salary or have been cut by now. The fact that we are treating him and this situation as if this is Emmitt Smith prior to 1993 season is just ridiculous. This team is beyond stupid.

WTF is taking so long?
The reason it is taking so long is because we do not have options.

But the reason we are even bothering to ask him to take a paycut (which is laughable in of its own), is because he is underperforming his contract, not because we are looking to get rid of him or quite possibly, have any serious intention of replacing him...mainly due to the cap situation. Five million in space is breathing room and a ultra cheap short term one year deal to some desperate guy...not something that you can realistically use to sign a starter. We sure are not going long term with anyone.

If that were the case, they'd have severed the cord and gone ahead and bit the bullet.

But like the poor marksmen they are, they completely whiffed on both accounts. They couldn't get him to restructure. He won't accept a pay cut. He's called their bluff and won...big time. Either way, right now, Doug Free wins.

Cut him, he immediately becomes a young player in a very old market. As bad as he is, he'd get signed pretty damn quick.

And since we did ZERO in the draft or UDFA period, we have no swing tackle after we promote Parnell to starter (I fart in the Weems kid's general direction). There are two dorks that are on the roster that are worse than many UDFAs we could have got for next to nothing.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Clabo signs for 3.5 mil with only 1.5 guaranteed, but we couldn't swing that of course.

But, we do have 'cap genius' Stephen on our side, so there's that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The reason it is taking so long is because we do not have options.
I think we do.

Winston may not be this all-pro, but I seriously doubt that he won't sign at 4 mill a season. Give him a 2 year 8 million dollar deal. I'd rather sign the guy at 2 years at 3 per, but like you said, given our situation, we're not in any position to haggle with him.

Still, I'd feel much better at giving Winston 8 million over 2 years than to give Free 500K to play this year. The guy is that bad and we absolutely cannot trot him back out onto the field this year.

Cut Free and sign Winston and be done with it. This should have been settled weeks ago.

And yes, it is both sad and unsurprising that the real reason we're looking for alternatives isn't because he sucks out loud, but more because of our cap situation.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Clabo signs for 3.5 mil with only 1.5 guaranteed, but we couldn't swing that of course.

3.5?

Shiet, then the 3 mill I originally suggested is probably possible then with Winston.

I hate this stupid team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

We've signed complete tools like Cory Procter for nearly $2M a year.

Think about that for a second.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's a good thing that I prepared myself back in February to watch this team be bad this year.

Hell, I've come to the conclusion that this team is not going to be good for quite some time, and that's going to make taking the losses a lot easier.

We've got no shot with this family.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
It's a good thing that I prepared myself back in February to watch this team be bad this year.

Hell, I've come to the conclusion that this team is not going to be good for quite some time, and that's going to make taking the losses a lot easier.

We've got no shot with this family.
You liked them three Super Bowls, didn't ya?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Unreal that we didn't do that.

Cut freaking Danny McCray and that is half the salary right there.

We could have easily afforded the Clabo contract. If we wanted to.

Top Bottom