Hill: Cowboys value their draft as ‘probably most successful in a while’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys value their draft as ‘probably most successful in a while’

Posted Thursday, May. 02, 2013

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com

Say what you will about how Dallas handled the first round of the NFL Draft — and plenty of people are doing just that, inside and outside the organization — but don’t question the seven players the Cowboys took, starting with
Wisconsin center Travis Frederick in the first round.

The Cowboys feel every pick will contribute in 2013, some more than others. They believe all of them have the potential to become starters in the future, so there is a feeling inside the organization that this is the best draft the team has had in a few years in terms of the picks and the value.

“All in all, it was probably the most successful draft we’ve had in a while,” a source said. “We got a guy in the fifth round [running back Joseph Randle] we had on the board in the third. We got good value on guys instead or reaching as we did in the past. Last year, we needed a safety and might have pumped a little air in [fourth-round pick Matt Johnson]. We took him earlier than we needed to. That didn’t happen this year, other than maybe the first round. We got good value.”

While he might have been a reach at the 31st pick overall, the Cowboys truly believe they took a good player in Frederick, who is an immediate upgrade at center and is expected to help the team immensely in 2013.

The Cowboys did their best work, however, on the second and third day of the draft, starting with tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round. No one questions his talent or potential. He was considered the second- or third-best tight end in the draft, and the Cowboys got him right where he was projected to go.

The best selection, however, might have been Baylor receiver Terrance Williams with the controversial pick they got from the San Francisco 49ers in the third round.

The Cowboys had Williams rated higher on their draft board than Escobar, according to a source. But they felt the potential was greater for him or another quality receiver to be there in the third than Escobar being there.

They turned out to be right. That could be a huge win for owner/general manager Jerry Jones and the personnel department.

No matter how badly they messed up in the first round, it turned out OK when they came away with Frederick and Williams to show for the 18th overall pick they traded to San Francisco.

“That’s how the draft go,” said a defensive-turned-giddy Jones after picking Williams on Friday while trying to make a play on the popular “That’s how baseball go” line made famous by Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington.

The Cowboys had Georgia Southern safety J.J. Wilcox as a third-round pick, and that’s where they took him. Certainly he is still learning the position after playing it just one year in college, but they love his potential and upside.

The Cowboys were also pleased with William and Mary cornerback B.W. Webb in the fourth round. A couple of scouts had him rated as a second-round prospect. The Cowboys say he compares favorably to Southeastern Louisiana cornerback Robert Alford, whom the Atlanta Falcons took in the second round.

The Cowboys believe Webb will pay dividends now and in the future in terms of how it relates to nickel cornerback Orlando Scandrick.

Scandrick graded out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 43-ranked cornerback in pass coverage last season. His salary jumps to $3.5 million in 2014 and $5 million in 2015 and 2016. Webb’s rookie deal will have him making minimum salaries in each of the next four years.

So the Cowboys believe they got value and potential salary flexibility with Webb.

Getting Randle in the fifth round was another coup since they had the former Oklahoma State star graded as a third-round pick.

“He walks in as the No. 2 running back,” the source said. “He has DeMarco Murray traits. Getting that guy in the fifth round was huge. We won’t lose any sleep if he has to start.”

The Cowboys believe they also got good value with South Carolina linebacker Devonte Holloman in the sixth round. They had him graded in the fifth.

The interesting thing is the Cowboys had Arizona State linebacker Brandon Magee rated as a fourth-rounder.

They made the call to pick Holloman and chance that Magee would make it to free agency because of Magee’s smaller size and injury history. They also felt Holloman was a better special teams player.

That’s also why they signed Magee as an undrafted free agent, giving him an NFL-high $70,000 guarantee on his first-year salary. Magee received a $5,000 signing bonus, and $65,000 of his first-year salary was guaranteed to him whether he makes the team or not.
--------------

The only way I would say this draft is "successful" right now is that we avoided huge reaches in the later rounds and took what appear to be solid players.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
These ignorant bastards think every retarded move they make is brilliant until it blows up in their faces.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The only way I would say this draft is "successful" right now is that we avoided huge reaches in the later rounds and took what appear to be solid players.
Amazing it's been so bad that we now get excited just by taking players in the round they are projected to go in....well, except for the first.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Personally I think this is the best overall draft the organization has had in sometime. The most flak comes from the "reach" in the first round and to a degree it was but I think the player will become a solid producer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Amazing it's been so bad that we now get excited just by taking players in the round they are projected to go in....well, except for the first.
Well, there, they even admit in a backhanded way they reached. He would never have made it to their pick in the second so they say. What's funny is that the next interior lineman went at 65 when Detroit took Warford. Nobody took a center until Tennessee stole Schwenke with the 107th pick.

It just goes to show you how little Jones and his merry band of morons know about the draft process and how smart teams behave. They honestly think teams reach like they do and can easily be conned too. We've seen it happen before. I still recall when Jones rationalized taking Carter (and actually trading UP for the retard) by claiming Al Davis and Denny Green were after him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
"It's hard to be excited for a fan. It's not hard for us to be excited," Stephen Jones said. "I'm sure it's difficult and all you usually hear about are the first-day picks at best, and it's usually the first 15 picks that the fans know about. It's maybe not as much fun for them but we're as excited as we've ever been for the draft. It's every bit as exciting as if we would've had two 1's and two 2's. We couldn't be happier about what we've done." –Stephen Jones after the 2009 draft
:dunce

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
they say its the best draft we've had in a while after EVERY.SINGLE.DRAFT. It's like they have to say it or else they think the fanbase will blow up

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I am starting to feel about as healthy of a hatred for Goof Son as I do for his father.

He absolutely will do no better.
Of course he won't be. He's an extension of his old man.

That old quote I pulled was just to illustrate that they're always going to say that they "couldn't be happier" with their draft or that it was "one of the stronger team drafts in recent memory" or some other bullshit. That 2009 draft looked like a disaster from the get go (though it turned out to be worse than I imagined it would be) and he was spouting off about how happy they were about it. I think that's due to a combination of them just being a really dumb organization and the fact that as assistant GM or whatever he really can't say anything but positive things on the record about their drafts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course he won't be. He's an extension of his old man.

That old quote I pulled was just to illustrate that they're always going to say that they "couldn't be happier" with their draft or that it was "one of the stronger team drafts in recent memory" or some other bullshit. That 2009 draft looked like a disaster from the get go (though it turned out to be worse than I imagined it would be) and he was spouting off about how happy they were about it. I think that's due to a combination of them just being a really dumb organization and the fact that as assistant GM or whatever he really can't say anything but positive things on the record about their drafts.
No team ever admits their draft sucked.

What I hate is that these two can't even rationalize their moves intelligently.

They always act like they meant to do every single move, they had this guy actually slotted higher, etc. Their new thing in the last few years is to talk about where they were ranked on their board.

You don't see most teams do that to the degree they do. They are defensive because, well, most of the time, they are outsmarted practically every year and are not intelligent enough to stop overcompensating the superlatives after the fact to make up for it. It is almost like they feel they have to convince everyone, every year, that it was great. That's a pretty good sign of insecurity, both in their abilities to draft well but also who they got.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
my favorite part about these articles are saying "we were selecting more for value than need" and then contradict themselves by saying "we had terrance williams higher on our board than Gavin, but we felt we had a better chance of getting him in the third and we knew Escobar would be gone by then"

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I am starting to feel about as healthy of a hatred for Goof Son as I do for his father.

He absolutely will do no better.

Ya, same here. I think he'll be quite a bit worse actually.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Well, there, they even admit in a backhanded way they reached. He would never have made it to their pick in the second so they say. What's funny is that the next interior lineman went at 65 when Detroit took Warford. Nobody took a center until Tennessee stole Schwenke with the 107th pick.

It just goes to show you how little Jones and his merry band of morons know about the draft process and how smart teams behave. They honestly think teams reach like they do and can easily be conned too. We've seen it happen before. I still recall when Jones rationalized taking Carter (and actually trading UP for the retard) by claiming Al Davis and Denny Green were after him.
They way we target positions and particular players is beyond absurd. We eliminated everyone but OL and Vaccaro in round 1. None are available so we trade down and still end up reaching. Pick 2 and 3 were going to be TE/WR or WR/TE. All other positions ruled out.

With as many needs as we usually have it should be easy to take BPA from among those need areas, but instead we slot which round we want to nab a particular need and end up reaching the majority of the time.

At least after the first two rounds the positions we targeted had players available where they should be drafted and we getting players at need areas and value.

But in round one there is zero reason to reach for need. I can see if you are loaded at one or two positions you can bypass them, but to focus on just one or two positions with no regard to value is just asinine.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
They always act like they meant to do every single move, they had this guy actually slotted higher, etc. Their new thing in the last few years is to talk about where they were ranked on their board.
My favorite this year was Jerry trying to justify the horrid trade by saying the trade chart "is a fluid thing." Last year 2+2=4 but this year it equals 3.

D

Deuce

I hate the way they deviate from the board so easily. That's my only real complaint.

Hey, we have a WR in the 2nd with a higher grade, so we took a TE. But we got the WR anyhow so it's all good. No, it's not. That retarded thinking will burn you far more times.

Same with the 6th with Magee and Holloman.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate the way they deviate from the board so easily. That's my only real complaint.

Hey, we have a WR in the 2nd with a higher grade, so we took a TE. But we got the WR anyhow so it's all good. No, it's not. That retarded thinking will burn you far more times.

Same with the 6th with Magee and Holloman.
The Magee and Holloman thing is especially odd. They are both playing the same position. Why would you draft the one you rated lower? It's like we don't really trust our own draft board. Which in some of these cases I'm glad we didn't but we shouldn't do that as an organization.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
my favorite part about these articles are saying "we were selecting more for value than need" and then contradict themselves by saying "we had terrance williams higher on our board than Gavin, but we felt we had a better chance of getting him in the third and we knew Escobar would be gone by then"

Yep. They go into every draft targeting certain players. It is the dumbest possible way to draft. Even worse than drafting for need.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Personally I think this is the best overall draft the organization has had in sometime. The most flak comes from the "reach" in the first round and to a degree it was but I think the player will become a solid producer.
Knocks
- Floyd was a top ten pick at a position of need, great both now and in the future. Jones had the gall to say he wasn't "quick twitch" enough and didn't fit in the Cowboys' 4-3 system. Are you kidding me? Why then he was he in the top ten on their board?
- Dallas got jobbed in the trade down with SF.
- Frederick could have been had in the second round.
- Escobar is a niche player, not a starter on this team. He also could have gone later
- Williams is a fine pick, but what about Keenan Allen, Stedman Bailey, or Markus Wheaton? A spread offense can alter numbers, and that seems to have swayed Jerry because he was considering Williams as early as the 1st round.
- Wilcox has played safety just one year.
- Wilcox and Webb as small school players were each taken earlier and in combination increase the risk of an outright bust. The odds of two small school DB's making it are low, so one of your picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds is going to bust.
- Randle is seriously injured.
- No defensive lineman taken in a year when shifting to a DL-intensive scheme
- No serious upgrade in team speed. Escobar, Williams, and Randle are slow

Value
-Frederick + Williams > Floyd. Frederick is a day-one starter and adding a 3rd round pick is very nice.
-Escobar has great hands and should upgrade the redzone offense
-Williams was incredibly productive and despite a lot of that production being attributed to the spread offense, has moves the other WR's on this team lack.
-Holloman is a great value in the 6th

Notes
- I like Webb alot and think he has ballhawk instincts as good as any CB in the league. He's small, but he has heart.
- I am actually excited that Wilcox played so well at safety despite having limited experience. That tells me he's an instinctive football player first, and Dallas needs as many of those as they can get.

Overall
Not one pick is terrible and all should contribute. From this perspective the entire draft class may be considered helpful and is a huge step up from what we're used to from Jerry (think 2009). From the perspective of the draft in isolation Dallas did not get enough value, though frankly that's hard to do for any team without extra picks or high picks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom