Broaddus - Scout’s Notebook: Comparing Draft Picks To Current Players

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Notebook: Comparing Draft Picks To Current Players

Posted 3 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – One of the advantages of working as a scout for a long period of time is that you develop friendships with other scouts. With this current group of Cowboys selections, I wanted to ask my friends around the league what NFL players they most closely resemble, and this is what I found out:

Included are quotes from a few scouts who gave their input.

•Travis Frederick Center Wisconsin

“Would compare his game to that of Jon Goodwin of the 49ers. Maybe not the best athlete, but does play with some strength, along with smarts. Little bit of a stiff moving guy. Could show better body control and balance, but really not a bad player.”

Another scout thought that he was more like John Moffitt with the Seahawks, who is also a Wisconsin product. The scout said, “He had similar numbers to go along with his ability. Could play center or guard and be just fine.”

•Gavin Escobar Tight End San Diego State

“I thought of Scott Chandler because of his height and ability to get down the field. Can be a weapon in this area.” Another scout said, “Not as fast or as athletic as (Rob) Gronkowski, but his hands would make you think of him. Might be more like Anthony Fasano, but just more athletic. Going to sound strange, but he has some Tony Gonzalez in him the way he is leggy running routes.”

The last comparison was to Tony Scheffler in the way he can catch, but the scout commented that Escobar needs to develop more as a blocker.

•Terrance Williams Wide Receiver Baylor

One scout compared Williams to his former teammate at Baylor, Josh Gordon, in that both can make explosive plays. That scout thought Williams might be a better route runner with a more complete game.

Another scout said, “He has some Hakeem Nicks traits when it comes to his ability. Nicks might make more hands catches, but I have seen Williams snatch the ball on the move.”

•J.J. Wilcox Safety Georgia Southern

One of my favorite players to scout in this year’s draft, one scout compares Wilcox’s game to that of T.J. Ward of the Browns: “Good tackler and instincts. Good in the open field like Ward. Really not a fluid moving player and has average speed, but is very physical.”

Another scout compared him to William Moore of the Falcons: “Does a nice job of coming forward and making the tackle. … Can do some things in coverage and can be productive.”

•B.W. Webb Cornerback William & Mary

The kid has rare quickness and outstanding leaping ability.

One scout said, “This is going to be high praise, but he reminds me of Lardarius Webb of the Ravens. He has that same type of ability to mirror his man in route. Not much separation in his game.”

Another comment from a scout: “Can cover in the slot and handle that without any problem. His quickness really helps him here. Can match him up and not worry about how he is going to play.”

•Joseph Randle Running Back Oklahoma State

He has some straight line running in him. One scout thought he was similar to Matt Forte of the Bears, saying, “He takes the ball and will hit the hole. Not a bunch of flashy moves in the open field, but runs with toughness and competes. Catches the ball well out of the backfield. Solid in this area.”

•DeVonte Holloman Outside Linebacker South Carolina

Holloman was a converted safety in college, moving to outside linebacker. He’s a point-of-attack player who is much better against the run than pass.

A scout thought he reminded him of Geno Hayes of the Jaguars: “Hayes was an undersized player at Florida State, but really played with some sideline-to-sideline ability, showed good speed and was a hitter. Holloman is a better athlete, but plays with similar awareness to find the ball.”

-----------------

Let's just say if these players have the impact of whom they are being compared to...it is a pretty shitty draft.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Let's just say if these players have the impact of whom they are being compared to...it is a pretty shitty draft.
That's kind of what I was thinking. And when I read things like "...but really not a bad player" and "...just fine" about the #31 pick I'm not particularly encouraged.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's kind of what I was thinking. And when I read things like "...but really not a bad player" and "...just fine" about the #31 pick I'm not particularly encouraged.
It certainly could go down as one of the more average in team history unless someone really performs above their projected ceiling.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Goodwin and Moffit...not to be confused with NFL first rounders.

Scott Chandler in the 2nd round...or better yet Fasano. Could've just kept him and not wasted 2nd's on both Bennett and Escobar.

:picard

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Goodwin and Moffit...not to be confused with NFL first rounders.

Scott Chandler in the 2nd round...or better yet Fasano. Could've just kept him and not wasted 2nd's on both Bennett and Escobar.

:picard
That Chandler comment was pretty scary.

We had that guy in here as a third stringer...undrafted at that.

Hopefully it was just a height thing because he is on the upper end of the scale.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I saw Tony Gonzalez, Hakeem Nicks, and Matt Forte mentioned in there too. How come nobody is mentioning them?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That Chandler comment was pretty scary.

We had that guy in here as a third stringer...undrafted at that.

Hopefully it was just a height thing because he is on the upper end of the scale.
You'd think they could find a quality TE with similar height and "ability to get downfield" though. I'd rather take my chances with Hanna as a #2 TE. If we are going to take one as high as we did he better be a complete player and the real deal. Scott Chandler should be the furthest from anyone's mind.

I saw Tony Gonzalez, Hakeem Nicks, and Matt Forte mentioned in there too. How come nobody is mentioning them?
has some Tony Gonzalez in him the way he is leggy running routes.”

Doesn't sound like a total comparison, just a minor semblance. I do like the Terrance pick and Randle in the 5th.

But in rounds 1 and 2....A reach and a one dimensional TE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, those comments were far less definitive than those comparing them to the others. "Some traits" like Nicks. "Some leggy running" like Gonzalez. And the Forte one, I wipe my ass with, especially when it is suggested that "like Forte" there is not much flash in open field. Few handle themselves in the open field with a screen pass like Forte.

And Frederick gets Goodwin and especially Moffitt? Yikes.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I love how BW Webb gets compared to Ladarius Webb. I mean, they're both CB's and *gasp* have the same last name.

GShock

DCC 4Life
So how are we thinking that the 1-cut up the field thing is going to work for us with Randle? We don't really have that type of running offense. In ours, you usually have to make two guys miss in the backfield. Any concerns that he might not be a good schematic fit for us?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You forgot Gronkowski and Ladarius Webb but hey let's pick out the worst of the comparisons. I have seen Frederick compared to Nick Mangold before as well. I will take that comparison instead.

Lotuseater

Banned
Glad to see positivity, but the Mangold thing was stupid. Fredrick is a solid center but he's no Mangold. I think Wilcox and Webb both have the ability to be very good players and really play above their draft positions.

Williams loses some luster when you watch film when you realize he's 24 yrs old playing against much less expierienced guys. Escobar has unbelievable hands but can't block or run, really. Holloman, while I'm rooting for him because I love his game, is tiny.

Some of these picks are head scratchers.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's that time of year focus on the negative.:lol

I am very underwhelmed by this draft but if these guys play like the players mentioned I will be very happy, these are all above average starters mentioned here.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we got Hakeem Nicks, Lardarius Webb, and Matt Forte in the same draft we'd spooge ourselves. It wouldn't matter that they came from the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If we got Hakeem Nicks, Lardarius Webb, and Matt Forte in the same draft we'd spooge ourselves. It wouldn't matter that they came from the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.
True, but no one really thinks we did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is from the DMN's slide show on the same topic:

Travis Frederick, C/G, Wisconsin / Drafted: 1st round, No. 31 overall / The skinny: Though the Cowboys desperately needed some help along their offensive line, they were largely criticized for reaching at 31 to take Frederick, who most (including Frederick himself) thought would go some time during Day 2. But ultimately, Frederick should be able to help the offensive line immediately by stepping in as the starting center as a rookie.

NFL comparison: John Moffitt, Seattle (by Charlie Campbell, Walter Football; Dane Brugler, CBS Sports) / What it means: The Moffitt connection isn’t a surprising one – like Frederick, Moffitt played guard and center at Wisconsin and had a ton of starting experience coming into the NFL. But here’s where the comparison may worry Cowboys fans: Moffitt was just a 3rd round pick in 2011 by the Seahawks, and while he started nine games as a rookie before getting hurt and another six games last year, he seemed to fall out of favor late in 2012, losing playing time to a rookie seventh-round draft pick in J.R. Sweezy.

Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State / Drafted: 2nd round, No. 47 overall / The skinny: The Escobar pick caught plenty of people by surprise if for no other reason than the Cowboys seemed to have plenty of areas they needed help at more than tight end. But Escobar’s talent seemed to make him a viable second-rounder, and he’s been praised for his size and receiving abilities.

NFL comparison: Jacob Tamme or Aaron Hernandez (by Jeremy Mauss, Mountain West Connection) / What it means: Neither Tamme nor Hernandez have reached superstar status just yet, but both have been very successful as oversized receivers. Tamme had 52 catches for 555 yards and two TDs last year, while Hernandez had 51 catches for 483 yards and five scores despite missing six games with injuries. The one obvious advantage that Escobar has over either is his size – while Tamme is 6’3 and Hernandez 6’1, Escobar stands an imposing 6-foot-6 and 254 pounds.

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor / Picked: 3rd round, No. 74 overall / The skinny: There was probably no pick the Cowboys made that was as well-received as this one. Though he didn’t help himself much at the NFL Combine, Williams was ultra productive at Baylor, leading the nation with 1,832 receiving yards as a senior. He’s also been praised for his work ethic and demeanor, which helped him patiently work his way up the foot chain in Waco from unheralded two-star recruit to superstar in five years.

NFL comparison: Mike Williams (by Charlie Campbell, Walter Football) / What it means: Some fans might be raising an eyebrow at the name Mike Williams, thinking back to the former USC star who flamed out in the NFL. But Campbell’s referring to the Mike Williams who hauled in 63 passes for 996 yards and nine TDs with the Bucs last year. As Campbell puts it, Williams “isn't a No. 1 receiver in the NFL, but he is very good as a No. 2.” Both players fell on draft day in part because they don’t wow you in workouts with their numbers or size, but neither has a glaring weakness to their game.

J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern / Drafted: 3rd round, No. 80 overall / The skinny: In a draft loaded with quality depth at safety, Wilcox was among the most intriguing prospects available because of his athleticism. So why did he fall to the third round? In part because of his small school roots, but largely because he’s raw – Wilcox played just one year of safety in college, spending most of his time at running back. It may take some time to work out the kinks, but many pundits view Wilcox as a potential quality starter in the NFL.

NFL comparison: Atari Bigby (by Rob Rang, CBS Sports) / What it means: After struggling to latch on to an NFL team for the better part of two years, Bigby broke through with the Packers in 2007 and, when healthy, has been a regular contributor for a handful of teams since. Bigby (5-11, 211 lbs) shares similar size to Wilcox (6-0, 214 lbs) and both can be aggressive in the box. The one thing that Cowboys fans can hope for is that Wilcox’s athleticism allows him to become better in coverage than Bigby has been.

B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary / Drafted: 4th round, No. 114 overall / The skinny: Another small school defensive back, Webb has earned praise for his athleticism and physicality despite his small frame. In fact, special contributor Jonathan Bales said Webb would’ve been a second rounder if he was two inches taller, and when Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin spoke about Webb, he told fans to “remember the name.” The truth is he’s probably limited to playing in the slot because of his size (5-10, 185), but that’s no longer viewed as the limitation it was 10 years ago.

NFL comparison: Adam Jones (by NFL.com) / What it means: Though Jones was an elite prospect (he was the 6th pick in 2005), he has a similar skill set and an almost identical frame to Webb. Jones has settled in as an excellent nickel back, which is a crucial position as offenses go to spread looks more and more. In fact, Jones played in nearly 60 percent of Cincy’s defensive snaps last year, so if Webb can play like Jones at the next level, the Cowboys will have come away with an absolute steal. Ultimately, Webb’s physical traits probably limit where he can play, but his skill set fits the niche role of nickel back well.

Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State / Drafted: 5th round, No. 151 overall / The skinny: Despite an extremely productive career at Oklahoma State, Randle fell on draft day for a number of reasons. For one, running backs were especially en vogue this year (the first one didn’t go off the board until Round 2), and Randle really lacks top-end speed, which showed with his 4.63 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine. Still, Randle is a punishing runner despite weighing just 204 pounds, and he’s a strong receiver out of the backfield, which can make him a weapon in almost any situation.

NFL comparison: Fred Jackson (by NFL.com) / What it means: Jackson doesn’t make a ton of highlight reels because he’s not the flashiest runner, but he’s steady and sturdy and well-rounded, which is all the Cowboys could hope Randle becomes. Jackson has averaged more than 700 rushing yards per season and owns a career 4.5 yards-per-carry average. He’s also hauled in an average of 30 passes per season, including a high of 46 in 2009. If Randle can provide a solid all-around game and match Jackson’s contributions on a smaller scale, he’ll be more than enough for the Cowboys’ needs.

DeVonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina / Picked: 6th round, No. 185 overall / The skinny: Holloman was a productive player in the SEC, bouncing from safety to linebacker in college while racking up 207 career tackles with the Gamecocks. He doesn’t possess freakish athletic ability, which likely knocked down his draft stock, and a DUI arrest in college probably dropped it even more. But his credentials are solid, and NFL.com pegged Holloman as a player “likely candidate to outplay his draft position.”

NFL comparison: Mike Morgan (by Derek Stephens, CBS Sports) / What it means: Stephens qualified his comparison by saying Morgan and Holloman don’t share strong suits, but they do share common limitations that could hinder their development. Namely, Stephens says both players have a lack of flexibility and agility that hurt them in space, a problem for outside linebackers. Morgan needed a full year in the NFL before he found any playing time last season, making an impact on Seattle’s special teams with 19 tackles. It could be a similar story for Holloman, who doesn’t figure to see a ton of action out of the gate.

Top Bottom