skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I remember the good ol days of freedom.

[video]http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4042417[/video]

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If someone knows how to embed the video please do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Every one should get a ribbon.

We don't keep score.

We are all winners.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have no issue with kids getting trophies or ribbons as part of teams regardless if they are the winners or not. It represents being a part of the team and serves as a reminder of being on that team.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The kids actually won and were disqualified from state based on stupidity.

Cotton

Staff member
Um, I'm confused about what you are saying.
I'm making fun of the bleeding heart liberals who think that everything has to be "fair".

Cotton

Staff member
I have no issue with kids getting trophies or ribbons as part of teams regardless if they are the winners or not. It represents being a part of the team and serves as a reminder of being on that team.
I don't mind participatory awards nearly as much as the whole we don't keep score and everyone is a winner crowd.

Cotton

Staff member
OIC. Did this video have something to do with that?
Kinda. It was a bit of a reach to blame the ones that I would associate with that behavior, but the whole don't celebrate and make the loser feel bad thing reeks of people wanting things to always be equal.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Kinda. It was a bit of a reach to blame the ones that I would associate with that behavior, but the whole don't celebrate and make the loser feel bad thing reeks of people wanting things to always be equal.
Ahhh, I see. I was confused. It makes sense now.

townsend

Banned
I don't think this is a reflection of the times, just a reflection of what happens when ass hats are in charge of a small unimportant sports organization. It's not like this is the first time sportsmen have been screwed over with bullshit technicalities.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think this is a reflection of the times, just a reflection of what happens when ass hats are in charge of a small unimportant sports organization. It's not like this is the first time sportsmen have been screwed over with bullshit technicalities.
Sports related technicalities, sure. They do happen. But that wasn't what this is. This was a kid pointing at the sky, presumably thanking God. The powers that be labeled it excessive celebration and disqualified them.

What a load of bullshit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that is pretty outrageous. Sounds more to me like someone with an agenda then it does someone who actually thought pointing to the sky was "excessive celebration"

townsend

Banned
I may be way off base here, but I picture the people in chargeof these associations are PTA/School Board/Soccer mom types. I assume people who find themselves being free to make judgement calls on this kind of thing can get full of themselves and turn into tin pot dictators.

Excessive celebration is as sports related as other bullshit calls, like this 18 year old pole vaulter that was stripped of her victory because she wore a string bracelet during the competition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/highschool/05/11/track.controversy/index.html

Here's a teen that got disqualified from running, because she was wearing tape over her earrings, even though she would have only been warned if she had displayed them openly.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16380526/Technicality_disqualifies_athlete_Is_this_unreasonable

Just pouring through google you can find dozens of examples of idiots ruining amateur athletics with with capricious and arbitrary rule enforcement.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
While I agree that those are ignorant reasons to disqualify, I think the point of this story was religious discrimination. I don't think it was actually 'excessive celebration' this person was worried about. But this person had to have some reason other than 'thanking God' for them to push their agenda.

townsend

Banned
While I agree that those are ignorant reasons to disqualify, I think the point of this story was religious discrimination. I don't think it was actually 'excessive celebration' this person was worried about. But this person had to have some reason other than 'thanking God' for them to push their agenda.
That may be, hard to say. I don't think that it's indicative of popular approval of religious discrimination, though.

Just means some bigot with an agenda wormed his or her way into a situation where they can make "judgement call" that are immune from appeal.
Any sane person (even ardent athiests) would recognize this as a dumb/unfair decision. So I don't think this is a sign of the times. Just another story of a jerk abusing a position of trust.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Oh, I'm pretty dang certain it's the sign of the times. Maybe not this case in particular but as a whole no doubt.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That may be, hard to say. I don't think that it's indicative of popular approval of religious discrimination, though.

Just means some bigot with an agenda wormed his or her way into a situation where they can make "judgement call" that are immune from appeal.
Any sane person (even ardent athiests) would recognize this as a dumb/unfair decision. So I don't think this is a sign of the times. Just another story of a jerk abusing a position of trust.
I agree with that. But I can also agree a little with Skid saying it's a sign of the times. The more stuff like this happens, the easier it is to shrug off. It's cool to be PC to every thing under the sun. Everything except Christianity, that is.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Sight unseen as I have not read the article or watched the video... But if all the kid did was point at the sky, this is retarded.

Top Bottom