Machota: Jones’ three reasons why Cowboys fans should be excited for the 2013 season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones’ three reasons why Dallas Cowboys fans should be excited for the 2013 season

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
4:07 pm on May 2, 2013 |

One of the Dallas Cowboys fans who spoke with Jerry Jones during a Wednesday conference call, asked the team’s owner and general manager what Cowboys fans should be excited about in 2013.

Jones’ marketing savvy immediately kicked in and he spent the next couple of minutes explaining the three things that he views as “dramatic changes” to the franchise.

Here they are in the order that Jones rattled them off.

1.) Hiring Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator and switching back to a 4-3 scheme.

“This change we made on defense will allow younger guys to play earlier,” Jones said. “It’s simpler. It relies on the skills of our defensive players. We really didn’t have a lot of adjusting to do. I’m real excited about what we’re going to do defensively. I think we will cut back on the big plays against us.”

2.) Hiring Rich Bisaccia as special teams coordinator.

“I think we have really improved in that we have someone who is not only a special teams coach that understands how [the players] got to play either their offensive or defensive positions, but those coaches are really coordinating with him to get guys that will play special teams,” Jones said. “For instance, you can’t have a third running back that’s not an excellent special teams player. You need your backup linebackers to be special teams players. I think we’re going to have very significant improvement.”

3.) Tony Romo’s increased job responsibilities.

“It is significant that Romo has made the additional, significant commitment,” Jones said. “This implies that Romo was kind of taking it easy. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. But there’s a big difference when the quarterback gets in there with the coaches on an everyday basis and looks at hundreds of plays over the last couple of years of a particular opponent. Romo’s going to be involved to that extent. You and I know that when it’s your idea, when you’re the one that wants to run the play this way, would like to block it this way, we all know we do it a little better with our own ideas.”
-------------

Yep, when I think of reasons to get excited, I think Rich Bisaccia. A guy so good, he got canned and went down to the college ranks.

Thank goodness our new DC didn't have to do something like that....wait.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Reason #1: One year closer to death.
I am sure Raiders fans were counting the days after Lane Kiffin was hired.

That's coming next for us when Jerry becomes unhinged after Garrett gets shitcanned.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would put Rod Marinelli way ahead of that ST coach as far as positives on the coaching staff.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
I am sure Raiders fans were counting the days after Lane Kiffin was hired.

That's coming next for us when Jerry becomes unhinged after Garrett gets shitcanned.
THAT--- is a terrifying thought...:sad

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I would put Rod Marinelli way ahead of that ST coach as far as positives on the coaching staff.
i agree. I wish we had some younger guys he could coach up, but we neglected it in the draft. Only guy im excited to see progress in a 4-3 scheme is tyrone crawford

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
This is a fan base that was excited over the hiring of a strength coach a few years ago.

Yeah, things are that bad.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think reason #3 is pretty scary too.

The last thing I want for a QB who chokes when the pressure is on is even more responsibility on his shoulders.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hiring Monte Kiffin gets me the opposite of excited.

I actually lose wood.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Funny, not a hint of improvement at the offensive line.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
#2 is the only one even remotely possible.

70+ yr old DC who couldn't stop the spread offense/option in college and more Romo. Yeah, I'm excited.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
OMFG? A new special teams coach? :happydance

That would be more than enough to get me to renew my vastly overpriced season tickets to the stadium better known for dancing bimbos and bras than wins on the field.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I couldn't get a boner right now if I tried.

Top Bottom