Phillips: Why I’m Rethinking the Josh Brent Situation

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why I’m Rethinking the Josh Brent Situation

BY ROB PHILLIPS on JUNE 11, 2014

So many elements of gray encompass the Josh Brent situation, as Valley Ranch columnist Jeff Sullivan described this week. The prospect of Brent returning to the Cowboys after the 2012 Jerry Brown tragedy is, understandably, polarizing.

On one hand, there is Jason Garrett’s locker room code of accountability.

On the other, there are few worse penances than living each day with the raw guilt of directly causing your best friend’s accidental death.

In 2000 I lost a friend and former high school teammate to a fatal car accident. He was smart, he was confident, he was popular, he was talented – and damn, he was tough. So much tougher on the court than skinny Rob. I wanted to play just like him – like a linebacker in sneakers.

To this day, there’s always something that triggers memories of him. You know how Tony Parker will give a shot-fake, get his defender in the air, and then lean into him to draw a foul? I swear he invented it. It used to drive me crazy, but it almost always worked.

He was a good kid who was headed for great things. To this day, I find myself wondering how his parents and brother are coping without him.

No one can condone the events that led to Jerry Brown’s death. I certainly do not. In fact, my first reaction to Stephen Jones’ comments suggesting a possible Brent return was, “Why?”

But after reading Jeff’s column, I’ve been asking myself this question:

If the cause of my friend’s death had been exactly the same as Brown’s – if another ex-teammate of mine had accidentally crashed the car while driving intoxicated – would I have turned my back on him out of anger and grief?

I can’t really say I know Josh Brent – I only enjoyed shooting the breeze with him about basketball or getting a football-related quote from him now and then. I’ve never met Brown’s mother, Stacey Jackson.

But if you watched CBS’s exclusive interview with her last Thanksgiving, you might think twice about condemning the Cowboys if they do welcome Brent back as soon as this summer following his 180-day jail sentence for intoxication manslaughter. The woman’s faith, strength and compassion are nothing short of extraordinary.

We know Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, like most NFL franchises, have previously signed or traded for players with off-field transgressions. These are calculated risks teams make based on the player’s talent, the player’s commitment to turning his life around, and the existing leadership/support structure within the organization.

This, however, is a unique situation.Cowboys-Goalpost

The Cowboys already know Josh Brent. For years they’ve known his personal strengths and weaknesses — on and off the field. They took him in the 2009 supplemental draft despite his misdemeanor DUI charge in college.

Warning signs were there back then. But like Jerry Brown before his death, and like Stacey Jackson, who has found forgiveness in her heart, the Cowboys essentially became part of Brent’s family.

Yes, they could use a young, talented defensive lineman with starter potential. If they give Brent an opportunity to return at some point, and if Brent decides he wants to play football again, his athletic ability will be a factor in their decision. I’m not naïve enough to say it won’t.

But what if he was a backup tight end? At best, playing second-string behind Jason Witten?

The more I think about it, if the Cowboys believe Josh Brent will ensure that he’s never a danger to himself or anyone else behind the wheel of a car again, the more I believe it doesn’t matter to them what position he plays. Giving him an opportunity to transition back to the world, doing what he does best, would matter most.

Over 10,000 people in the U.S. die each year in a drunk-driving crash. Another 345,000 are injured. There’s a good chance many of you reading this have either been in such an accident or know someone who has. If you think Brent’s actions don’t warrant another chance at professional football, that’s completely justified.

But no matter where you fall on this issue, just consider this:

One life and career has already been lost. Perhaps Stacey Jackson and the Cowboys see a bigger picture here.

Perhaps they don’t want to turn their backs on a second life and career.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It's a sad day when we can't automatically reject the notion of murderers playing for the team. Are we that hard up? Don't answer that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To me the discussion points are about whether the team will accept Brent. All indications I have seen says they will. Bottom line however is whether the league will circumvent the process if he comes back to play. It would be treading water if the league imposed sanctions on him. I think the guy can play and I would like to see him get another shot. What he did was beyond stupid but a lot of us fall into that category at times.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's a sad day when we can't automatically reject the notion of murderers playing for the team. Are we that hard up? Don't answer that.
Murderer?

Jesus. Idle down on the drama a bit, bbpunk.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Murderer?

Jesus. Idle down on the drama a bit, bbpunk.
Ok, he's not OJ, but most people would lose their job is they killed a co-worker while driving drunk.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ok, he's not OJ, but most people would lose their job is they killed a co-worker while driving drunk.
He did lose his job. And then went through the justice system where they administered the punishment they thought was appropriate. Whether you agree with what that was is another thing.

So you think that he should not be able to continue his chosen profession? If a guy working construction is involved in the same situation, he should no longer be able to work construction? Or are you only thinking he shouldn't be able to work for the same company he was working for when the incident happened? Mind you, it didn't happen in either the real or fictional example during "company" hours or activities.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He did lose his job. And then went through the justice system where they administered the punishment they thought was appropriate. Whether you agree with what that was is another thing.

So you think that he should not be able to continue his chosen profession? If a guy working construction is involved in the same situation, he should no longer be able to work construction? Or are you only thinking he shouldn't be able to work for the same company he was working for when the incident happened? Mind you, it didn't happen in either the real or fictional example during "company" hours or activities.
Of course he can try to play football, just as a journalist who gets fired for plagiarism can try to hook up with another newspaper. Time for a fresh start somewhere else.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Of course he can try to play football, just as a journalist who gets fired for plagiarism can try to hook up with another newspaper. Time for a fresh start somewhere else.
Oh, ok. I can certainly understand that.

But that's quite different than saying this team is so hard up it won't automatically reject murderers from playing for them.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Newt

DCC 4Life

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm sure that will be of great comfort to Brown's family. And yes, his death was very avoidable.
Of course it was avoidable and I'm not making light of it, I've had a very close friend killed by a drunk driver and fully get it's a travesty. However unless it's premeditated murder the victim being a stranger or a teammate has little to do with it

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
he killed a stranger, not a teammate
I'm sure that will be of great comfort to Brown's family. And yes, his death was very avoidable.
These two posts seem to be heading in different directions.

I wonder if it was great comfort to that ladies family when Little was able to go right back to playing for the Rams. And yeah, her death was very avoidable, too. Not to mention, she didn't make the choice to get in the vehicle with Little as Jerry Brown did.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Of course it was avoidable and I'm not making light of it, I've had a very close friend killed by a drunk driver and fully get it's a travesty. However unless it's premeditated murder the victim being a stranger or a teammate has little to do with it
Brent is not irreplaceable. The fact that we're even entertaining the idea of his return tells you how far this franchise has fallen. We can't find a so-so DT who hasn't killed someone?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
These two posts seem to be heading in different directions.

I wonder if it was great comfort to that ladies family when Little was able to go right back to playing for the Rams. And yeah, her death was very avoidable, too. Not to mention, she didn't make the choice to get in the vehicle with Little as Jerry Brown did.
What makes you think I'm defending the Rams? They're just as amoral and mercenary as Jerry.

Top Bottom