Cowboys sign fourth-rounder Anthony Hitchens

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys sign fourth-rounder Anthony Hitchens

Posted by Josh Alper on June 1, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Before linebacker Anthony Hitchens even signed a contract with the Cowboys, he was being discussed as a possible replacement for Sean Lee in the wake of Lee’s torn ACL.

Hitchens doesn’t think he’s quite ready for that level of responsibility yet, but he was ready to sign his name to a four-year deal with the team. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hitchens has signed his pact, moving the Cowboys closer to having all of their picks under contract.

Hitchens led Iowa in tackles in 2012 and 2013, but he did so playing on the weak side so there is definitely some work to do if he is going to find himself playing in the middle in place of Lee this season. Hitchens said that he’s leaning on Lee for advice and mentorship this spring in order to prepare himself as well as possible for the role, which isn’t a bad approach for a player with a realistic read on his chances to jump right into a starting job in the NFL.

If the Cowboys don’t make any moves for veteran help at linebacker, Hitchens will likely remain in the mix for that job into training camp. If he’s a fast learner, he may even wind up there come Week One.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thank goodness we finally signed Lee's replacement.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do like the way signing picks is though now...no drama.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Hitchens doesn’t think he’s quite ready for that level of responsibility yet
This is the 2nd time I've seen this quote... Did he say somewhere that he didn't want to start? Man up, you turd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the 2nd time I've seen this quote... Did he say somewhere that he didn't want to start? Man up, you turd.
Yeah, he's coming right out and stating he ain't ready.

I think that is pretty good from an honesty standpoint. At least the kid isn't doing what half the high profile vets on this team are doing, which is basically saying they will shock the world.

I actually find that refreshing and it makes me like him a little more.

I wish he were a little more assured. But it is not like we are drafting trained killers from the ghetto like we did tapping into the Miami pipeline back in the days of Johnson.

We are drafting RKGs. Or what we think are what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

At least he is still a little humble.

It just seems a lot of guys when they are "Cowboys" they get into the celebrity shit because that is the team culture.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like the humility...but I think it would be dishonest for him to say he is ready right now. Once he gets acclimated I'm sure his tune will change. He probably doesn't want to trample on Lee's dead body either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The kid will gain confidence when he is able to see whether he can hold his own with his contemporaries. Once he makes that jump he will become a buzz saw in my opinion. At least I hope he doses.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I hope he ends up being a good player. Maybe he's just humble. I'd rather him be humble and say he's ready to start if he plays well enough, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope he ends up being a good player. Maybe he's just humble. I'd rather him be humble and say he's ready to start if he plays well enough, etc.
He is a very humble player. Always has been. If he screws up on the field he will be the first guy to take responsibility for it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At this point I'll consider him a success if he plays 16 games without injury.

I have very low standards when it comes to Jones-acquired players.

Top Bottom