Machota - Jones: ‘I don’t think we have a country club atmosphere around here’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: ‘I don’t think that we do have a country club atmosphere around here’

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
3:51 pm on May 1, 2013 |

Critics have said that one of the reasons why the Dallas Cowboys have missed the postseason four of the last five years is because of the country club atmosphere and lack of leadership around Valley Ranch.

Well, if you feel that way, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones disagrees with you.

During an hour-long conference call with season ticket holders on Wednesday, Jones denied that an unmotivated locker room is to blame for his team finishing 8-8 the last two seasons.

“I don’t think that we do have a country club atmosphere around here,” Jones said. “There’s too much competition. :lolThese players recognize how fortunate they are to be in the NFL, to have these opportunities. We’ve got as good or better leadership than my experience in 24 years with the Cowboys has seen.

“I think the stage is set with the attitude, the personnel, what Jason Garrett is doing relative to his leadership. All of those things will come to bare. We just need to win a couple of games that we didn’t win, let’s say each of the last two years, get in the tournament and go from there.

“Baltimore and the Giants are really encouraging. It’s hard for me to say, but we know how the Giants got there and won the world championship, we know how Baltimore [did it]. A lot of that is where the NFL is today.”

In November, former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson mentioned the “country club” culture at Valley Ranch during a radio interview.

“The No. 1 motivator [in the NFL] is fear,” Johnson said. “Fear of maybe letting down your teammates or being embarrassed or chastised or fear of losing your job. Where is the fear in Dallas? There is no fear in Dallas. It’s a country club where everybody is buddies.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Ratliff is a prime example.

Apparently he got all up in Jerry's grill and was busted for DUI shortly after his teammate was killed.

The non-moves in FA and the draft pretty much point to his roster spot being rock solid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just too much competition on this team. :lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jerry's new catch all phrase is "relative to ....".

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Free is yet another prime example. The guy did everything just short of taking out a sledge and bashing Romo and Murray's heads in, but the team is bending over backwards to make sure somehow some way this guy ends up on the active roster and probably starting at RT come September.

Zero accountability.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Free is yet another prime example. The guy did everything just short of taking out a sledge and bashing Romo and Murray's heads in, but the team is bending over backwards to make sure somehow some way this guy ends up on the active roster and probably starting at RT come September.

Zero accountability.
He like rotated and stuff with Parnell.

We have too much competition on this football team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jerry's new catch all phrase is "relative to ....".
:lol

That MF'er says cannot go 3 or 4 sentences without saying that, and 99% of the time, that phrase is not even necessary.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“I think the stage is set with the attitude, the personnel, what Jason Garrett is doing relative to his leadership. All of those things will come to bare. We just need to win a couple of games that we didn’t win, let’s say each of the last two years, get in the tournament and go from there.

“Baltimore and the Giants are really encouraging. It’s hard for me to say, but we know how the Giants got there and won the world championship, we know how Baltimore [did it]. A lot of that is where the NFL is today.”
Damn...he keeps on about the Giants. Now it is the Ravens.

Sadly he doesn't even realize how each team did it....drafting well and building from the inside out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would have liked Garrett to be able to eliminate more of this than he has, and I don't think it's nearly as bad as it was under Wade, but at the end of the day, he's subservient to Jerry.

You need another Parcells to change this up. But I'm not sure Jerry will ever hand that much power over again because he hated that experience so much. Meaning we have to look forward to a string of either inexperienced yes-men or spineless retreads who are too desperate for another job that they'll ever say no to Jones.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would have liked Garrett to be able to eliminate more of this than he has, and I don't think it's nearly as bad as it was under Wade, but at the end of the day, he's subservient to Jerry.

You need another Parcells to change this up. But I'm not sure Jerry will ever hand that much power over again because he hated that experience so much. Meaning we have to look forward to a string of either inexperienced yes-men or spineless retreads who are too desperate for another job that they'll ever say no to Jones.
Garrett had zero chance of changing anything, mainly, because he and Jerry think a lot alike.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett had zero chance of changing anything, mainly, because he and Jerry think a lot alike.
I don't know about that, but he doesn't have the pull to change it.

He clearly wasn't happy with the way we conducted our draft. He just has no power to tell Jerry to STFU.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Jerry wanted a smart guy with no skins on the wall to just be glad to be the coach. To keep him really busy he's still the OC. Jerry gambled that Garrett would revolutionize NFL offense and make him look like a genius in the process. That obviously hasn't happened for all kinds of reasons, and Garrett's gonna have to choose to keep taking Jerry's shit or leave.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jerry wanted a smart guy with no skins on the wall to just be glad to be the coach. To keep him really busy he's still the OC. Jerry gambled that Garrett would revolutionize NFL offense and make him look like a genius in the process. That obviously hasn't happened for all kinds of reasons, and Garrett's gonna have to choose to keep taking Jerry's shit or leave.
Well, he's gonna get fired when this season isn't markedly better. We've kinda had a disaster of an offseason, to expect a better performance than last year would be naive.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Well, he's gonna get fired when this season isn't markedly better. We've kinda had a disaster of an offseason, to expect a better performance than last year would be naive.
Frederick is going to give the offense a shot in the arm...I think Jerry will keep holding on to Garrett unless he's talked Gruden into taking over.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've kinda had a disaster of an offseason, to expect a better performance than last year would be naive.
I think you're stretching a bit with this one. We haven't lost anything all offseason. I think it is safe to say we have at least slightly upgraded the O-line with Frederick. Fact is we didn't lose anyone of note.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
There are no words to describe how fucking stupid this man is. The only team in football which has more of a country club atmosphere is UT Austin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think you're stretching a bit with this one. We haven't lost anything all offseason. I think it is safe to say we have at least slightly upgraded the O-line with Frederick. Fact is we didn't lose anyone of note.
We haven't added anything significant to the starting lineup besides Frederick, either. And guys like Ratliff, Ware, Spencer, Witten, etc, are a year older.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We haven't added anything significant to the starting lineup besides Frederick, either. And guys like Ratliff, Ware, Spencer, Witten, etc, are a year older.
So are guys like Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter and Claiborne (AKA all will get better). I don't know if you can include Ratliff on your list since he basically didn't play last year.

Top Bottom