Kavner: Cowboys Would Be Wise To Decide Soon On Free

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kavner: Cowboys Would Be Wise To Decide Soon On Free
Posted 1 hour ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

The Cowboys are still waiting to hear back from Free and his side about taking a pay cut from his $7 million salary he’s due this upcoming season. Seeing him play at that price would be rather shocking after a down year, and the Cowboys have a tough decision to make in the coming weeks and months.

Free, meanwhile, must decide if it’s wiser to take the pay cut or risk being cut and testing the market.

But the rest of the NFL doesn’t lie dormant as the Cowboys and Free wait to make a decision.

Teams are already beginning to pursue free agent tackles Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston, the offensive linemen whose names have been thrown around as possibilities for the starting right tackle spot in Dallas. The Dolphins are reportedly interested in both players.

The Cowboys’ options will dwindle quickly once one of those tackles signs elsewhere. In addition, the leverage swings to Free, who knows the team holds fewer options the longer he waits this out.

If the Cowboys know what decision they want to make, they’d be wise to act with urgency.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Dolphins are reportedly interested in both players.
I sense the price is definitely not coming down, especially given the overreaction to OL and crazy reaches in the draft. I'll bet a bunch of teams could use a new tackle after missing out in the draft. I'd also be interested to know how the team feels about Brandon Moore.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We are seriously fucking retarded. You simply have to be a stone cold idiot not to sign a RT at this point.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Who knows what the hell is going on.

Jerry is probably too busy sucking off W or his deddy like on draft day to give a shit about signing a RT.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Outstanding

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we just have to accept that this dumbasshit front office refuses to give up on Doug Free. They think releasing Free makes them look stupid because they not only drafted him but also extended him. What they don't realize is that not releasing him makes them look even more stupid, stubborn, and disconnected from reality.

It's in Free's best interest to do absolutely nothing, and once Winston and Clabo are signed (which might be as soon as tonight) his position will be so strong they'll be forced to keep him at his outrageous 11 million cap number and claim it was their plan all along.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We are seriously fucking retarded. You simply have to be a stone cold idiot not to sign a RT at this point.
Only this front office would be dumb enough to let Free hold them hostage.

It should've been a take-a-cut or go thing that took no more than 24 hours to settle. But, as always, these idiots let the players dictate the terms to them.

Genghis Khan

Only this front office would be dumb enough to let Free hold them hostage.

It should've been a take-a-cut or go thing that took no more than 24 hours to settle. But, as always, these idiots let the players dictate the terms to them.

:lol

Your choice of words really put it in perspective.

Doug Free is holding us hostage. Good lord. :picard

Genghis Khan

Although it is more accurate to say that Jerry's Forrest Gump-sized intellect is holding us hostage.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So Doug has been given Free Reign :rock over the personnel department?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Your choice of words really put it in perspective.

Doug Free is holding us hostage. Good lord. :picard
I would rather roll with Parnell and just cut Free outright. Honestly it would make us thin at OT, but we need to get away from that contract as quickly as possible. Sign one of the old fart OT's like McKinnie to be our swing guy and move on.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
According to LaConfora Eric Winston, Winston Justice and Tyson Clabo will all be in Miami talking to the Dolphins on Wednesday. We better shat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There's not really anything else to say.
Other than I don't think we can afford a veteran who will insist on a front-loaded contract.

I am no cap guru, but with $5M available, right now, can we afford a guy that wants more than that and actually get it done?

I do not think so. We have to have money for the rookie class as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
My understanding is that even if we released him now we would not see the cap room until 1 Jun...so not sure how releasing him now would free up space to sign Clabo.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My understanding is that even if we released him now we would not see the cap room until 1 Jun...so not sure how releasing him now would free up space to sign Clabo.
It may not help to sign Clabo, but we should be able to sign him with the 5 mill in available space being as 4 mill is the most I can see him making in year one.

By the time Free's release clears cap room, we can then use that 7 million or whatever to sign our rookies in time for camp.

Unless there's something I'm not taking into consideration, I'm thinking this scenario would work for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One thing I do know is that it would cost more to release him than to keep him right now versus as a June 1st.

Top Bottom