Watkins: Kyle Orton still not working out

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kyle Orton still not working out

May, 6, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys officials met with reporters on Tuesday to discuss the upcoming NFL draft, but there were some questions regarding backup quarterback Kyle Orton.

He still hasn't worked out with the team since the voluntary offseason program started on April 21.

But team officials don't seemed too concerned that Orton isn't around as the offseason program enters its second phase this week.

"We expect Kyle to be here at some point in the offseason," coach Jason Garrett said. "These are not mandatory workouts and meetings that we're involved in right now. There's a mandatory minicamp (June 17) toward the end of the offseason program and we anticipate him and all of our players to be there for that."

Garrett wouldn't get into specifics regarding his conversations with Orton, other than to call them, "good." But Orton's agent, David Dunn said at the NFL owners meetings his client would play this year.

Yet, Orton hasn't arrived at Valley Ranch for workouts and is a healthy scratch if you will. He is thinking of retirement and if he chooses that option he might have to repay the Cowboys close to $3 million in bonus money. Orton is scheduled to make a base salary of $3.25 million this season. So Orton would forfeit the base salary and repay some signing bonus money if he retired.

Jerry Jones said Orton's status doesn't change how the Cowboys would draft. He almost dismissed the notion the team would select a quarterback at all. It seems Jones doesn't want to rebuild with a rookie quarterback because he feels Tony Romo is in his prime.

The Cowboys, however, don't have their No. 2 quarterback in the offseason program.

Romo is recovering from back surgery and his throwing is limited during workouts. Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie are the other quarterbacks participating in the offseason program.

"We like to have all of our players here," Garrett said. "Every coach in this league will tell you the same thing, understanding the nature of what the offseason program is. We can't mandate that to anybody. Some players choose not to be here. We anticipate him being here for the mandatory portion of minicamp and being with our football team."

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Kyle Orton status in doubt
May, 12, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Monday marked the fourth week of the Cowboys’ voluntary offseason program and backup quarterback Kyle Orton is nowhere to be seen.

Orton hasn’t shown up for the workouts since they started on April 21 and doesn’t appear he will do so until the mandatory veteran minicamp June 17-19.

And whether Orton arrives for that isn’t guaranteed. The Cowboys can fine Orton up to $70,000 if he fails to show for the mandatory workouts. Orton can also lose money if he fails to complete a good percentage of his offseason workouts.

The Cowboys can reduce his 2014 base salary by $75,000 if he fails to complete the workouts. His base salary is scheduled to be $3.25 million.

“I don’t know,” Jerry Jones said Saturday when asked about Orton’s status. “There’s nothing new other than I do expect him.”

When is the question?

The Cowboys aren’t ready to move on from Orton, who played in the 2013 regular-season finale against Philadelphia because starter Tony Romo underwent back surgery.

Brandon Weeden, whom team executive Stephen Jones said has looked good in offseason workouts, and Caleb Hanie back up Romo.

The Cowboys didn’t draft a quarterback but signed Dustin Vaughan as an undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M on Sunday to add depth to the position during offseason workouts. Romo is still rehabbing from back surgery, though he's throwing passes in a controlled setting.

So waiting on Orton's decision on whether he will retire is the biggest offseason mystery for the Cowboys right now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it's pretty clear at this point that he doesn't want to play football anymore.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd cut both his and Weeden's ass after camp. One doesn't want to be here and is expensive, the other is worthless. I'd just keep the best looking rookie. If Romo goes down, we're F'd anyway.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd cut both his and Weeden's ass after camp. One doesn't want to be here and is expensive, the other is worthless. I'd just keep the best looking rookie. If Romo goes down, we're F'd anyway.
Hanie is decent too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think it's pretty clear at this point that he doesn't want to play football anymore.
And we will keep on clinging to him until he comes out and basically says he quits.

They should have cut this turd weeks ago.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And we will keep on clinging to him until he comes out and basically says he quits.

Yep. It appears that Weeden will be the backup. Orton must have his nest feathered well to walk away now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why Dallas would cling to a QB who doesn't want to play football anymore. Of course they could just be waiting in hopes that Orton retires instead.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not sure why Dallas would cling to a QB who doesn't want to play football anymore. Of course they could just be waiting in hopes that Orton retires instead.
The only thing that makes sense. If he quits, he has to pay back money. But if he just comes to camp and flops around, what good is he doing then?

If he gave a shit, he would be preparing like he could start given Romo's injury issues.

But hey, not worried.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I don't understand why this team does this.

We basically wait hand and foot on an average to below average player as if they are some vital part of the team. Cut your losses, move on, and act proactively so that these players don't put you in a bind.

Instead, we'll do what we always do and wait until the player himself says he isn't coming back/can't play, then we'll scramble to fill the void.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Instead, we'll do what we always do and wait until the player himself says he isn't coming back/can't play, then we'll scramble to fill the void.
What void? I'd bet the team is hoping he'll retire so they can recoup some money. If he doesn't and they cut him in camp, we'll go into the season with Weeden or one of the rookies backing up. Or a pickup from another teams cuts. Not really a void, considering if Romo goes down, the season would be shot anyway.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yep. It appears that Weeden will be the backup. Orton must have his nest feathered well to walk away now.
Apparently he has to cut them a check for $3M if he retires. That's what someone on dallascowboys.com said anyway. That's insane. Makes me think he'll come around soon. That's a lot of feathers to give back. If he quits anyway then he is clearly very convicted in his decision. Hell, even if my heart wasn't totally in it I'd like to think I'd stick around another year for the money.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't understand why this team does this.

We basically wait hand and foot on an average to below average player as if they are some vital part of the team. Cut your losses, move on, and act proactively so that these players don't put you in a bind.

In their opinion they filled the void

dallen

Senior Tech
thanks for posting it again

Cotton

Staff member
Kyle Orton's future still unknown
May, 19, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has said the same thing regarding Kyle Orton the last few times he has met with the media. He “anticipates,” Orton being with the team for the mandatory minicamp in June.

That does not mean Orton wants to play in 2014. It simply means he could show just to avoid a fine of roughly $70,000 for missing the mandatory camp.

Asked Saturday if that could be Orton’s plan, Garrett said, “You’ll have to ask him that.”

Orton has been quiet. His agent, David Dunn, who also represents Garrett, said at the NFL owners meetings that retirement was never option, yet Orton has yet to show up for the voluntary offseason conditioning program.

Orton took part in it in 2012 and ’13. The Cowboys would like him to be around to learn some of the changes Scott Linehan is implementing offensively. They would like him to get more work as Tony Romo recovers from back surgery. They would like him to help the younger quarterbacks.

If Orton retires, he would owe the Cowboys $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus he received in 2012. Retirement is not an option.

If the Cowboys cut Orton after June 1, they save $3.25 million against the cap this year. Because of the voidable remaining years on his contract, he will count $2.255 million against the cap in 2015 anyway.

The Cowboys will have an idea if Orton really wants to play by the type of shape he is in at the June camp. If he is in decent shape, then he could continue to play. If not, then he could be looking for the Cowboys to cut him, which would not require him to repay the team any of the signing bonus.

Some want to criticize Orton for wanting it both ways -- not wanting to play and not wanting to repay the money -- but teams often want it both ways, asking players to take pay cuts or risk being cut. Orton is using his only leverage.

The Cowboys have signed Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie in the offseason and added undrafted free agent Dustin Vaughan. They view Weeden as a developmental quarterback and would want Orton to fulfill the contract. If he doesn’t, then Weeden would be Romo’s backup.

“We’re still hopeful that Kyle will be here,” quarterback coach Wade Wilson said, “but if he doesn’t, we feel really good about Brandon, especially since he’s going through our off-season program.”

If Orton retires, he would owe the Cowboys $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus he received in 2012. Retirement is not an option.

I did not know this. No way he can retire. At least you wouldn't think.

Top Bottom