Phillips: Cowboys’ Draft Needs, Ranked 1-11

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys’ Draft Needs, Ranked 1-11

BY ROB PHILLIPS on MAY 4, 2014 • ( )

Four days to showtime, I still haven’t done a mock NFL Draft. Why? Because I hate red ink, man. Hate it. Hated it on my English papers. Hate it on edited work documents. Despise it on my March Madness bracket. It’s like a flashing neon sign in your dreams that says, “YOU SUCK.”

I can’t tell you who the Cowboys’ 11 picks will be, or if they’ll even keep all 11 picks. The guys in the Valley Ranch War Room can’t tell you, and not because they’d have to kill you afterwards. Each year they role-play scenarios in which they decide among a small group of available players and debate trading up or trading back based on their own mock selections.

Why? Because they don’t know what the hell’s gonna happen, either. All they can control is preparation.

I’ve seen a couple dozen mocks, and I’ve decided I can’t close my eyes and throw darts any better than anyone else, especially those who really treat this like a science.

I can tell you what the Cowboys need Thursday-Sunday via picks and undrafted free agents – and the answer is pretty much everything. As always, decisions will be made based on value relative to need.

This was harder than expected because I made two philosophical assumptions:

• The Cowboys really do expect a 100-percent healthy Tony Romo in Week 1.
  • The Cowboys really do expect Romo to keep them semi-competitive for the next 2-3 years, meaning this year’s picks are made in “win-now” mode with a 1-2 year “retooling” radius for replacing select veterans’ salaries.

With that said, here’s the list in ascending order and an ideal draft range for each position – padded a bit for the all-important BPA (best player available). You’ll notice most needs can’t wait until the 7th round, where they’ve got six picks.

Feedback’s welcome. Tell me I’m a genius or a lunatic. Red ink is disabled, though.

11. Center: Don’t tug on Travis Frederick’s beard for the next few years. Ideal Target: None

10. Tight End: Anywhere but the 7th round … no. Just, no. Especially not the 2nd. Ideal Target: 7[SUP]th[/SUP]Round

9. Quarterback: The Johnny Elephant in the room. Personally I think Manziel’s gone well before 16, even if Jerry would donate his eye teeth for a dynamic talent with that much marketing potential. It’s not too early for Dallas to envision the day without Romo, but teams just don’t find franchise QBs after the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round and they have too much else unfilled. Unless they want to consider this guyIdeal Target: None (if not in first 3 rounds)

8. Receiver: I don’t have the same urgency as others do about this position. Dez Bryant is the man and the team drafted Terrance Williams to start post-Miles Austin. Sign a veteran in camp if no one else emerges as a No. 3. Ideal Target: 4[SUP]th[/SUP]-7[SUP]th[/SUP] Round

7. Running Back: DeMarco Murray had a hell of a year, but there’s mounting evidence against extending contracts of running backs on the wrong side of 25. I’m also unsure they think Joseph Randle is a capable backup, much less a starter in waiting. Ideal Target: 4[SUP]th-[/SUP]7[SUP]th[/SUP] Round

6. Safety: Hello there, Ghost of Darren Woodson. They still don’t have an elite playmaker here, but they’ve been telling us about J.J. Wilcox’s potential for a solid year. Then commit to him for at least one more season. The main reason why: you can’t draft help everywhere. Ideal Target: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-5[SUP]th[/SUP] Round

5. Guard: Call me slightly skeptical that Mack Bernadeau and Ron Leary can keep this up. And … #romohadbacksurgery. Ideal Target: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-5[SUP]th[/SUP] Round (with position flex at center)

4. Linebacker: Could be higher, but starting linebackers are more commonly found than the three spots below. And, Bruce Carter can’t be any worse than last year, right? Sean Lee can’t miss any more time, right? Um, right? Ideal Target: 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]-4[SUP]th[/SUP] Round

3. Cornerback: This is the tricky part I mentioned earlier – it’s not a primo need for a team with bigger holes elsewhere, but it’s a primo position — and Brandon Carr could very well be a cap cut after the season. I’m optimistic more man coverage will help Mo Claiborne start to make good on his huge expectations, but what if he doesn’t? If value presents itself this weekend, strike. Ideal Target: 1[SUP]st[/SUP]-3[SUP]rd[/SUP]Round

2. Offensive Tackle: Same issue here. Doug Free is penciled in for 2014 only. Can they re-sign him andTyron Smith? Should they commit to a 31-year-old after the season? Must I remind them that the 34-year-old starting quarterback has a bad back? I’d be looking for Free’s replacement now. Ideal Target: 1[SUP]st[/SUP]-3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Round

1. Pass Rush: I’m a lunatic to place any position higher than defensive end/tackle. Anthony Spencer’s return helps, but can he stay healthy? Can Henry Melton, Tyrone Crawford and George Selvie? All four have missed time, and three are coming off major injuries. If this group can’t pressure quarterbacks any better than last year, the Cowboys will hover at or below 8-8. Aaron Donald’s the ideal pick at No. 16 but he’s too talented to fall out of the top 10. Ideal Target: 1[SUP]st[/SUP]-2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Round (and anywhere else)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is there a draft pick that everyone could agree on for Dallas to take in the first round?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is there a draft pick that everyone could agree on for Dallas to take in the first round?
There are a few of them, but it all depends on how the draft falls.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think most would be on board with Donald, but he won't make it to #16.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think most would be on board with Donald, but he won't make it to #16.
The closer we get, I am getting a terrible feeling that Jerry trades up for either him or JFF.

And I will weep.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
CB. Jesus. It never stops.
:lol

I know. What the fuck is it with the CB and TE infatuation.

Although, at least with this guy, he is saying hell no to the TE position.....unlike Uncle Jer.

D

Deuce

I don't think anyone but Donald would be the hands down choice at BPA, but I think there's a good 5 players or so that everyone would deem acceptable.

I don't think Martin will be BPA, but I'm not flipping chairs if they take him either. Just don't screw the pooch and make a horrible reach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
CB. Third biggest need on the team. :lol
I can see how CB would be considered a need. Carr will probably be a cap casualty after this year, and Claiborne is on the fast track to nowhere. All we really have there is Scandrick. Black Weiner hasn't shown anything, either.

Not saying I agree it would be the third biggest need. But a need just the same.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Amazing that, no matter how many resources we throw at the position, our CBs keep underproducing behind our weak DL.

Maybe we should try out this crazy notion that, since you get pennies on the dollar when you invest in the secondary without a strong DL to support it, we should make the DL strong first and then see where we stand at CB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can see how CB would be considered a need. Carr will probably be a cap casualty after this year, and Claiborne is on the fast track to nowhere. All we really have there is Scandrick. Black Weiner hasn't shown anything, either.

Not saying I agree it would be the third biggest need. But a need just the same.
It is not a first round need though. Carr getting cut next year is irrelevant. Claiborne would still be under contract in a worst case scenario and Scandrick's extensions make him likely to be around as well.

If CB is a need, it is a need only to replace a guy like B.W. Webb in deep subpackages. Nobody sane spends a first round pick on a fourth CB.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love Dennard...I don't want a CB, but he is going to be a stud.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just take the best available OL or front 7 player in the first 3 rounds and this will be one of our best drafts in a decade. Of course I'm sure these idiots are going to run around trying to be cowboys on draft night and will fuck it all up but hey.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
All I know is if we draft either a corner or safety who has the "measurables" but played at a small school in a small conference, I will lose my shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All I know is if we draft either a corner or safety who has the "measurables" but played at a small school in a small conference, I will lose my shit.
Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty. 3rd round.

Prepare yourself.

Top Bottom