Cowboys' mysterious NFL draft consigliere Will McClay builds savvy reputation

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By RAINER SABIN
Staff Writer
rsabin@dallasnews.com
Published: 03 May 2014 06:39 PM
Updated: 04 May 2014 12:44 AM

The man on the other end of the line takes a deep breath.

“Golly, man!” Terry Gray exclaims. “There’s a feature story on him every day.”

The last comment is an exaggeration, but a grain of truth lurks beneath its surface. Gray has just been asked to talk about his old friend Will McClay, the Cowboys’ assistant director of player personnel who has recently ascended to one of the top positions in the organization.

As the scope of McClay’s role has increased, so has the intrigue surrounding him. In short time, McClay has become the mythic figure of the Cowboys’ off-season.

On Internet message boards, some have expressed hope he can save a franchise that hasn’t qualified for the playoffs since 2009. Others are curious about a man who operates in the shadows of Valley Ranch and away from the blinding spotlight that follows the organization’s most prominent figures.

“Who is this Will McClay they’ve mentioned?” one poster asks in the title of a thread.

The curiosity continues to build. And adding to the mystery is the Cowboys’ decision to not grant an interview with McClay for this article.

They say he is a busy man, which he is. This week, he is leading the effort to assemble the final draft board, which has gone through many revisions in the months before the Cowboys go on the clock Thursday with the 16th overall pick.

Prominent voice

In the war room, he will partner with Stephen and Jerry Jones as they make decisions that will affect the team for years to come. Those who know and have worked with McClay say he’ll be a fine consigliere, offering informed guidance that will steer the family-run business in the right direction.

“He’s going to provide Stephen and Mr. Jones with the very best information, the very best players, the very best evaluation, the very best research that he can possibly come up with,” said Gray, a scouting consultant with the club.

“I think that anybody, whether it be Mr. Jones, Stephen or anybody in another corporation, is going to respond to that, to the very best that’s available to them. Will is an incredibly detail-oriented person. His work ethic is really unbelievable. And he is very, very intelligent. He is probably too smart for his own good sometimes.”

For that reason, no one is surprised McClay has emerged as one of the most prominent voices at Valley Ranch. But getting to this point in his career hasn’t been an easy journey, with stops at football outposts.

He did multiple tours in the Arena Football League — first as a player and then as a coach, bouncing between the Detroit Drive, the Milwaukee Mustangs, the Florida Bobcats, Anaheim Piranhas and the Grand Rapids Rampage before landing with the Dallas Desperados, the team once owned by the Jones family.

In between, he had a stint as the director of player personnel for the defunct XFL’s Orlando Rage and a gig in the scouting department with the Jacksonville Jaguars. When McClay joined the Cowboys organization in 2002, he was hired to be the defensive coordinator for the Desperados.

In 2004, the team promoted him to head coach, and he served in that capacity through 2008. All the while, he worked in the Cowboys’ personnel department, reviewing tape, compiling comprehensive reports and using advanced statistics to supplement his work.

Before he was elevated to his current role, he was the team’s director of football research, scouting opponents and keeping tabs on the other 31 rosters in the league in the event a player of interest became available.

The experience he gained evaluating and managing personnel have shaped McClay’s perspective as he has combed the fringes of the football landscape to unearth hidden gems. In recent seasons, McClay has been credited with finding key contributors whose careers appeared to have dead-ended before the Cowboys revived them. Among McClay’s best finds have been Laurent Robinson, Tony Fiammetta, Ernie Sims and George Selvie.

“It seems like every step of the way he’s done a good job for us,” said Stephen Jones, the team’s executive vice president. “I commend him for the job he did finding guys like Selvie and [Nick] Hayden and people like that, people that everybody had a shot at but he brought them in.”

Nose for talent

Throughout his life, McClay has always dug a little deeper and pushed a tad harder to achieve the best possible result.

At Marian Christian in Houston, where he was a wide receiver, defensive back and later a quarterback, he was an integral part of two Class 3A Texas Christian Interscholastic League championship teams. Back then, he voluntarily joined coaches as they reviewed reels of film spinning on a 16-millimeter projector.

“He would want to watch with us, said Mike Treybig, who was the defensive coordinator at Marian Christian from 1981-85. “He always was able to see things and was able to make suggestions to us as coaches about what we needed to do just to help the team out.”

The initiative McClay showed was evident beyond the football field, too. One day, he went from track to baseball practice, where he organized a players-only meeting because the team was struggling. Immediately thereafter, Marian Christian negotiated a turnaround and went on to claim the 1985 TCIL title.

Wherever McClay was, he seemed to leave his mark. In the most recent edition of Rice’s football media guide, the former defensive back is still listed among the school’s all-time leaders in interceptions.

“Will is one of those people you knew were going to be successful,” said Galen Hall, the former head coach of the Orlando Rage.

In a startup league that expired quickly, Hall and McClay worked together as they cobbled together a roster of players with the help of general manager Tom Veit. McClay was 33. Hall was 59. But despite the age difference, Hall quickly developed a deep respect for McClay as the Rage went on to win the Eastern Division — the first and only team to accomplish that feat in the doomed XFL.

“I think he could see hidden talent that some people will not look for,” Hall said. “He’s willing to look anywhere.”

‘He sees everything’

In scouting, no one is faulted for being too thorough. But McClay is known for doing more than due diligence to make sure his evaluation is as accurate as possible, spending hours studying players as they go through mundane repetitions. It’s during these marathon video sessions when Gray, who served as an assistant coach under McClay with the Desperados, marvels at how observant his friend is.

“You watch film with him and you’re looking at the same player and you are hearing him talk about things most people wouldn’t even really notice — ankle flexion, dips, those sort of things,” said Gray, who is the godfather to McClay’s son, Gabriel. “He’s got the eye.”

Added tight end Jason Witten, “It seems like he sees everything. He’s very detailed. I am a huge fan.”

The praise for McClay is widespread. But six years ago, the Cowboys’ Tom Ciskowski drew gushy compliments after he was appointed to a position similar to the one McClay holds.

“When it comes to evaluators of talent, he knows what you're looking for. You give him a blueprint, he can follow it," former NFL general manager Jeff Ireland said of Ciskowski back then.

But under Ciskowski’s watch, a disconnect between the coaches and scouts surfaced in the war room last year as the team deliberated about whether to take Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd with the 18th overall pick. Floyd was ranked fifth on the draft board. The new defensive staff, however, didn’t consider him a good fit for the scheme. The Cowboys passed on Floyd, executing a trade that netted two choices used to select center Travis Frederick and receiver Terrance Williams.

Since that episode, McClay has worked to bridge the divide inside Valley Ranch. It’s one of the top initiatives for a person who is in a position to effect change.

“I know it’s important to him and I know it’s something he’s going to continue to implement and bring together,” Gray said. “He’s got a thought, an idea, a process and a plan about integrating the coaches and the scouts together so that we’re all on the exact same page, so that we know exactly what the coaches are looking for and the coaches can get an idea of what the scouts are looking at as well. It’s a big thing.”

Those who know McClay have no doubt he will accomplish his mission along the way to doing all he can to help right the listing Cowboys. But if he does achieve that end goal, Valley Ranch’s man of mystery will do it with hard work, football savvy and — contrary to popular belief — zero magic.

Follow Rainer Sabin on Twitter at @RainerSabinDMN

IN THE KNOW

Will McClay

Title: Assistant director of player personnel

College: Rice

Work experience: 1993, Detroit Drive (AFL), secondary/special teams coach; 1995, Milwaukee Mustangs (AFL), defensive coordinator; 1996, Florida Bobcats (AFL), defensive coordinator; 1997, Anaheim Piranhas (AFL), defensive coordinator/director of player personnel; 1998-99, Grand Rapids Rampage (AFL), defensive coordinator/assistant head coach/director of player personnel; 2000-01, Orlando Rage (XFL), director of player personnel; 2001, Jacksonville Jaguars; assistant director of pro scouting; 2002-2003, Dallas Desperados, defensive coordinator; 2004-08, Dallas Desperados, head coach; 2002-present, Dallas Cowboys, pro scout/director of football research/assistant director of player personnel.

Playing experience: 1985-88, Rice, defensive back; 1989-1992, Detroit Drive, wide receiver/defensive back.

In the war room

Some of the key figures in the Cowboys’ organization expected to be inside the war room throughout the NFL draft this week:

Jerry Jones: Owner, president, general manager

Stephen Jones: Chief operating officer, executive vice president and director of player personnel

Todd Williams: Senior director of football administration/football operations

Will McClay: Assistant director of player personnel

Tom Ciskowski: Director of scouting

Chris Hall: College scouting coordinator

Jason Garrett: Head coach

Rod Marinelli: Defensive coordinator

Jim Maurer: Head athletic trainer

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“I think he could see hidden talent that some people will not look for,” Hall said. “He’s willing to look anywhere.”
The more I hear this, the more it bugs me.

We need to get out of this "potential" mindset and get players on this team that are experienced, have produced and know what it is like to win.

We do not need to look at an Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and notice their ankle flexion.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I can see Jerry's fingerprints all over this spin job, it gets heat off Jerry to hire a gm and plus gives him another scapegoat if things go wrong

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can see Jerry's fingerprints all over this spin job, it gets heat off Jerry to hire a gm and plus gives him another scapegoat if things go wrong
See? Things are like changing...and stuff.

Stars

DCC 4Life

We need to get out of this "potential" mindset and get players on this team that are experienced, have produced and know what it is like to win.

Agreed. So tired of this organization overlooking talent staring them right in the face. Jerry wants to talk after the draft about how he made some genius pick with all the potential in the world.

Keep it simple, stupid.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
See? Things are like changing...and stuff.
Yep now he gets to make his longshot small school draft gambles and blame someone else

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep now he gets to make his longshot small school draft gambles and blame someone else
I'd be fine if he did blame someone else.

At least then there would be accountability.

What he does is worse.

He looks at the "man in the mirror" and promises himself that he will do better, with zero accountability.

How long as Ciskowski been around? The man's a lifer. Lacewell is still collecting a check of some kind, I am sure.

I am all for McClay being given a shot to be involved, but he too has been around for quite a while.

This is not a new voice running around, injecting a fresh perspective as much as people want to pretend he is.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd be fine if he did blame someone else.

At least then there would be accountability.

What he does is worse.

He looks at the "man in the mirror" and promises himself that he will do better, with zero accountability.

How long as Ciskowski been around? The man's a lifer. Lacewell is still collecting a check of some kind, I am sure.

I am all for McClay being given a shot to be involved, but he too has been around for quite a while.

This is not a new voice running around, injecting a fresh perspective as much as people want to pretend he is.
Exactly....this is akin to appointing McClay as a baby sitter for Ciskowski. Oh hell...can't get rid of Ciskowski, even after the Sharrif debacle. Lets bring someone in to help everyone understand what ole' Tom is saying here ~lipsmack~

That's been one of Jerrys biggest demons....he cannot let go of his "buddies" and "confidants". Its the same reason Jerry still listens to people like Switzer and Lacewell...2 fools who should be nowhere near an NFL facility.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Supposedly Ciskowski went off last year after the Floyd incident and this is how the Jones put people in their place. McClay won't make waves and he embodies Jerry's desire to "find talent where no one else is looking". For years Jerry has desired that puppet head coach who will let him run the team from the Owner's box. McClay is just a puppet for Jerry's other hand.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Supposedly Ciskowski went off last year after the Floyd incident and this is how the Jones put people in their place. McClay won't make waves and he embodies Jerry's desire to "find talent where no one else is looking". For years Jerry has desired that puppet head coach who will let him run the team from the Owner's box. McClay is just a puppet for Jerry's other hand.
No way, man.

Jerry is just the money guy.

I pity the fact that you just can't see what Garrett and McClay are building here.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That would be infuriating if true. Not surprising, but infuriating, nonetheless.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be infuriating if true. Not surprising, but infuriating, nonetheless.
I don't know about that but Ciskowski probably deserved the demotion for the Floyd screw up. I'm sure as hell glad Ciskowski's crying didn't win out. Jerry is the GM afterall. No one should be confused into thinking that Will McClay is somehow the GM or that Ciskowski was before. That doesn't mean these guys are puppets but they will always work below the GM of the football team. In Dallas unfortunately that is Jerry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think I will give him at least one shot at his job before I make any pronouncements.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know about that but Ciskowski probably deserved the demotion for the Floyd screw up.
Why? The scouts did their job. What the issue is that the GM, yes, that's Jerry, should have got the scouts and coaches on the same page. The GM should not have been going to the coaches to get their opinion while basically the draft is unfolding. The board should have been set, and everyone on the same page.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why? The scouts did their job. What the issue is that the GM, yes, that's Jerry, should have got the scouts and coaches on the same page. The GM should not have been going to the coaches to get their opinion while basically the draft is unfolding. The board should have been set, and everyone on the same page.
And the man who set the board should have made sure it was accurate. It was horribly inaccurate instead.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And the man who set the board should have made sure it was accurate. It was horribly inaccurate instead.
The same guy is going to be setting it now. McClay is not doing that, Ciskowski is.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2014/01/jones-says-ciskowski-remains-in-charge-of-cowboys-draft-board.html

So again, it is Jones' responsibility to get the coaches/scouts on the same page. Ciskowski can set the board from that.

What happened last year was a case where we blew away Ryan and his staff, and nobody thought hmmm...maybe we better get the scouts in tune with what Old Man Kiffin and Marinelli want. It was clear that the offensive part of the board was in synch.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The same guy is going to be setting it now. McClay is not doing that, Ciskowski is.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2014/01/jones-says-ciskowski-remains-in-charge-of-cowboys-draft-board.html

So again, it is Jones' responsibility to get the coaches/scouts on the same page. Ciskowski can set the board from that.

What happened last year was a case where we blew away Ryan and his staff, and nobody thought hmmm...maybe we better get the scouts in tune with what Old Man Kiffin and Marinelli want. It was clear that the offensive part of the board was in synch.
And, this should be done well before the draft even gets close, so the scouts have that in mind while looking at the talent.

data

Forbes #1

We might draft skid's kid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, this should be done well before the draft even gets close, so the scouts have that in mind while looking at the talent.
There shouldn't be much of an excuse this year. And if you look at the pre-draft visitors this year, it seems we have a grip on that.

Jerry Jones dropped the ball on that one. Sorry, I don't hold the scouting director responsible to ensure that both staffs get their heads together. That responsibility comes from the general manager.

Top Bottom