Cleveland Browns have talked to QB David Carr about a backup role if they draft his b

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Cleveland Browns have talked to QB David Carr about a backup role if they draft his brother Derek Carr

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on May 01, 2014 at 8:23 PM, updated May 02, 2014 at 1:38 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- By the end of the draft next week, the Browns could have two Carrs parked in their quarterback room.

David Carr, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans and big brother of Browns' prospect Derek Carr, told cleveland.com Thursday that the Browns are one of about six teams that have talked to him about signing as a backup if they draft his little brother.

"Yeah, they've definitely been one of those teams that have expressed interest,'' said Carr, 34. "There are probably about six or seven teams that have been real interested in that scenario, so we'll see what happens. It's going to be exciting.''

In Cleveland, David would especially come in handy because he knows offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's offense inside and out. Shanahan was wide receivers coach for the Texans under Gary Kubiak in 2006, Carr's final season there.

"For brotherly, selfish reasons, that would be great,'' said David. "But at the same time, I don't trust any other quarterback in the room with Derek (laughs). I know quarterbacks and I know veteran guys come in a lot of times and they don't want the young guy to play. They're going to be a teammate, but are they going to go to that next level to make sure this kid really succeeds? I can guarantee you that's the case with us. He would be just as happy if I was on the field as if he were out there.

"That's the goal -- to get him to play at a high level and to go out and use the experience that I've kind of gained over the last decade or so and try and help him out.''

David, who starred at Fresno State 11 years before his brother did, acknowledged it would "almost'' be too good to be true for the two to play on the same team "but it would be smart. I'm not a general manager, but the teams that have expressed interest in it, they think they're on to something and I think they're right.''

David, who sat out of football last season after being released by the Giants in August, would be content helping Derek and the other quarterbacks improve. After going 23-56 in his 11 seasons -- including 22-53 with the expansion Texans -- he knows his primary role is as a mentor. In addition to the six teams interested in him in a package deal with Derek, three teams have discussed signing him even without the sidekick.

"If I came back to the NFL to play, it wouldn't be for myself, it wouldn't be a selfish reason,'' he said. "It would be to really help the team. I've stood there before and held the clipboard, but I didn't really feel like I was really helping. I want to go in and really make an impact, whether I'm on the field or off the field. I want to do as much in the meeting room, in the locker room as I can to help a young guy, or to help an experienced guy.

And if it happens in Cleveland, where he already likes and trusts the staff, all the better. Carr is one of several quarterbacks the Browns are seriously considering in this draft.

"With good communication in the quarterback room, you can get to a point, especially in Kyle's offense where it can look very smooth and you can line up some numbers,'' David said. "Hopefully we'll get a chance somewhere -- but the Browns are definitely on the radar for sure.''

:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.
I have a friend from Cleveland who texted me this today, he sounded damn near suicidal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have a friend from Cleveland who texted me this today, he sounded damn near suicidal
I hope the Browns end up nailing the draft this year. Those poor suffering bastards deserve it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hope the Browns end up nailing the draft this year. Those poor suffering bastards deserve it.

:lol

All we do is pay you to put us in a bad mood every week.

Can relate to that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They have been drafting all right lately, they just desperately need a QB.
Their defense is pretty good. Their OL is pretty decent.

They need a QB and skill position players.

Take Manziel along with a Watkins or Evans? You have yourself a contender in their division.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Their defense is pretty good. Their OL is pretty decent.

They need a QB and skill position players.

Take Manziel along with a Watkins or Evans? You have yourself a contender in their division.
Manziel and Evans would be a great package deal but do you see Evans making it to 26? I don't think he drops that far.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manziel and Evans would be a great package deal but do you see Evans making it to 26? I don't think he drops that far.
No way that happens. He would be lucky to make it to 16 but I seriously doubt it. You'd have to likely go WR first and hope to trade up for Manziel.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was talking taking Evans early, then either Manziel slides or they trade up.

They have the trade ammo to make it happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still don't like Derek Carr. I think he is a guy who will take a ton of sacks just like his brother. I just don't see the pocket presence and internal clock with him. I think a team will take Carr much higher then they should because he is an excellent athlete with an excellent arm. He also says all of the right things when you hear him talk.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still don't like Derek Carr. I think he is a guy who will take a ton of sacks just like his brother. I just don't see the pocket presence and internal clock with him. I think a team will take Carr much higher then they should because he is an excellent athlete with an excellent arm. He also says all of the right things when you hear him talk.
It is a bit unfair to compare him to his brother but there are some similarities in the fact I think they both played in systems that made it easier for them.

The real thing that bothers me is the fact that a lot of Carr's passes were quick hit bubble screens and so on.

He is not your stand in the pocket, throw it downfield guy, even though he has one of the better arms in this class.

It is tough to ask a guy to do things he has rarely done and expect success.

Carr will be okay if he goes back with Tedford in Tampa. Put him in other places, it is a dice roll.

I don't see him as a scheme fit in Cleveland. To me, Manziel is. The play action, the zone scheme...seems far more natural.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is so stupid for all kinds of reasons, but for now I'll just stick to one - the last guy I'd want mentoring my young, and potential franchise QB, is a huge bust and total NFL failure like David Carr.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If this somehow makes his transition smoother, fine. I know if I was looking at what I thought was my potential franchise QB I'd do what I could to make him comfortable. It is the 3d QB spot for shit sakes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this somehow makes his transition smoother, fine. I know if I was looking at what I thought was my potential franchise QB I'd do what I could to make him comfortable. It is the 3d QB spot for shit sakes.
Screw that. I would want competition, not a failure brother to have a shoulder to cry on.

D

Deuce

Screw that. I would want competition, not a failure brother to have a shoulder to cry on.
If the plan is for him to sit, competition shouldn't matter too much. This would only be a one year thing though, I assume. After that you dump the loser brother for legit options.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If you draft a QB in the first round the competition is over.

Top Bottom