Kavner: Stephen Jones Talks Lee’s Spot, Starting Safeties, More

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones Talks Lee’s Spot, Starting Safeties, More

Posted 9 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – It doesn’t sound as if there’s a scenario where Sean Lee will be moving to outside linebacker this year.

There are some talented inside linebacker’s in the upcoming draft, including Alabama’s C.J. Mosely, but executive vice president Stephen Jones said at this point moving Lee doesn’t seem like an option.

“We’ve discussed a lot of things, that’s not one of them,” Jones said. “To be candid with you, I don’t think we’re really leaning that way.”

The thought is that if Lee was on the outside, it may eliminate some of the collisions from being in the middle in the action. When Lee’s on the field, he’s one of the best inside linebackers in the game.

But Lee’s dealt with a horde of injuries, and he hasn’t played a full 16 games yet in his career. Last year, it was a neck injury that forced him out early. It was surgery on his toe the year prior. He’s played in 17 games the last two seasons. He still finished as the team’s leader in interceptions and the second-leading tackler in 2013, despite missing five games.

The Cowboys believe it’s mostly a string of bad luck, and they have no immediate plans on moving him from middle linebacker.

“It’s one of those things where we think we’ve had some tough luck with Sean, and I think he’ll overcome that,” Jones said. “He’s so good in the middle there leading the way, leading the defense. It’s a natural spot for him to work from. Hopefully, we can keep him there and have the complementary guys around him. Hopefully, if he stays healthy, I know it’ll be a Pro Bowl, if not an All-Pro, type year.”

J.J.’s Job?

One of the best competitions at camp will be for the starting safety job opposite Barry Church, and 2013 third-round pick J.J. Wilcox will be one of the leading competitors.

Jones said he thinks Wilcox can rise to the top when camp comes around this year, the same way he did last year.

“My thoughts are that he’s really got a chance, if he goes back to playing like he had been in training camp and how he was playing toward the end of the year, to really be the guy opposite (Church),” Jones said.

Wilcox started five games opposite Church after the Cowboys released veteran Will Allen. Jeff Heath, however, started the final nine games at safety.

“Now that’s not to discount what Heath did, I think he did a really nice job there and really filled in well for us,” Jones said. “I think he’d make a great third safety for us. Obviously, does a great job for Rich Bisaccia there as well.”

Wilcox finished with 44 tackles and a huge pass deflection in the end zone against the Eagles, but a knee injury and the passing of his mother provided serious hurdles in 2013 for the young safety.

“J.J. Wilcox had an outstanding training camp,” Jones said. “The day his mother passed, he was actually promoted to be the starter. Everybody deals with adversity in different ways, especially a heartfelt loss like losing your mother. No one knows how anyone’s going to respond to that, and obviously he was very close to his mother who had been sick, and had taken wonderful care of her and was obviously just a terrible, gut-wrenching loss for him. I just think it took him a while to respond. But toward the end of the year, we were starting to see flashes of the J.J. that we saw in camp.”

Jones mentioned how Jakar Hamilton and Matt Johnson will also compete for that spot. Johnson was a fourth-round pick in 2012, but injuries have prohibited from playing the last two years.

“I know everybody kind of smirks, but one day if Matt Johnson stays healthy, then we’ll finally get to look at him,” Jones said. “Hopefully, that’ll turn for him. Hopefully Matt’s going to prove you guys wrong and a lot of people wrong and stay healthy and be the guy we thought we drafted out of there two years ago.”

Getting Closer

Jones said everyone’s getting a little antsy with the NFL Draft fast approaching, but it doesn’t hurt having extra time at the beginning of May for more preparation.

“Where it really pays off a little bit is our coaches get to eyeball a little bit more of it, because obviously they’re limited during the season and can’t do these kinds of things,” Jones said.

When draft day actually rolls around, Jones said his specific job is mostly sorting through the differing opinions that occur in the war room while trying to look at the big picture. As the draft unfolds, he said he looks at trade options and serves as a sounding board for owner/general manager Jerry Jones.

“As I’ve said many times, more times than not, and actually the majority of the time, there’s a pretty good consensus for what’s unfolding,” Stephen Jones said. “But at times, there are some differing opinions and you have to sort through that and you have to make the tough call.”

He added that the draft makes for both a fun and stressful day.

“It’s why you’re in the business,” Jones said. “If you love football, who’s not going to enjoy picking your players and putting your team together? But at the same time, obviously it’s big business and a lot at stake and it’s nerve-racking and tense. When you’re done with it, you had a great time but you’re also kind of glad to get it behind you.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Unless we find ourselves in a position where a safety is clearly the BPA and staring us in the face, I don't mind going into the season and seeing what Wilcox has. He was a high pick and is a guy who was expected to take some time to develop, he flashed a few times last season and now it's time for him to step up.

I'm obviously not going to pass on a clear value pick like Jimmie Ward at 47 but we've done much worse at other positions in the recent past than going into a season asking a 3rd round pick to step up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unless we find ourselves in a position where a safety is clearly the BPA and staring us in the face, I don't mind going into the season and seeing what Wilcox has. He was a high pick and is a guy who was expected to take some time to develop, he flashed a few times last season and now it's time for him to step up.

I'm obviously not going to pass on a clear value pick like Jimmie Ward at 47 but we've done much worse at other positions in the recent past than going into a season asking a 3rd round pick to step up.
I am okay with Wilcox returning with Church as long as we address the secondary otherwise. Getting a Ward or Joyner would be a huge addition to this defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We better add a middle LB backup because this idea that Lee just has "bad luck" is something that can unravel this defense. We don't have adequate LB depth.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Kavner: Stephen Jones Talks

Yeah, he should do that less. He's starting to remind me of his dad, lately.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
“I know everybody kind of smirks, but one day if Matt Johnson stays healthy, then we’ll finally get to look at him,” Jones said. “Hopefully, that’ll turn for him. Hopefully Matt’s going to prove you guys wrong and a lot of people wrong and stay healthy and be the guy we thought we drafted out of there two years ago.”
:lol

Everyone smirks because the 2 tools that run the organization see something that no one else with half a damn football brain sees.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Everyone smirks because the 2 tools that run the organization see something that no one else with half a damn football brain sees.
The one comment right there is indicative of the problems we have.

They are going to sit there and use hope as a strategy. And they know that's all it is.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am okay with Wilcox returning with Church as long as we address the secondary otherwise. Getting a Ward or Joyner would be a huge addition to this defense.
Like Simp said we take our shots if they're there, but IMO priority has to be the front seven.

I believe you need lots of youth to run a defense with an undersized DL and especially one lacking pressure players. The lack of stoutness up front has also exposed the back seven to greater injury risk.

We're not as bad off as last year with Ware and Ratliff chewing up roster spots doing nothing and Crawford injured, but it's equally bad in terms of needing to rebuild. No one the DL has more than a 2 year deal and broken Melton the "star" has a 1 year deal.

The linebacking is nearly as bad. Lee is hurt every year, Carter's a big question mark, and there's nothing after those two except Holloman who's better suited as a depth player. At least with Wilcox we have prospects at safety.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like Simp said we take our shots if they're there, but IMO priority has to be the front seven.
It is a no brainer but you just have to keep an open mind.

There isn't anywhere on defense where we could not use improvement.

You do not have an epic bad defense like this that can't use better players everywhere.

If I am rank ordering, by what and where we can legitimately improve, safety is a bit down the list.

1. Pass rushing DE
2. Weakside LB who can cover
3. Nickelback with position flexibility
4. True free safety
5. Nose tackle

Taking a guy like Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first is not going to help the front seven, which has to get better. After that, fixing the issues covering on third down when we get spread out is very important, which is why I wouldn't mind a DB who can function inside or out. That's why Ward and Joyner are attractive to me.

Realistically, if we do not get Shazier early, there are not a lot of good OLBs that fit this defense very well. Since that is the case, that is why I would move the DBs up on the priority list once we take care of the DL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We also need both a 3-technique and strong side DE, given Melton's injury history and need for a back-breaking contract, Selvie being a JAG, and Crawford's Achilles tear.

I agree if the talent dictates safety then take him, but I can't see how that happens unless a highly ranked guy drops at least a full round. This team is staring at a multi-year rebuilding job on the front seven.

We officially have 0 starters out of 7 that we can rely on, or 1 out of 7 if you really believe Lee can last into any post season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We officially have 0 starters out of 7 that we can rely on, or 1 out of 7 if you really believe Lee can last into any post season.
We have to prioritize correctly.

The 3-T can conceivably wait. The strongside DE can wait, possibly. I know Melton and Crawford are iffy, but there is a time where you have to examine what you really have.

The right defensive end cannot wait. That has to be filled in this draft, no question about it.

I just am a little concerned that what they said when they released Ware will come true....they will try to fill his production with three guys.

It is not just about producing the sack numbers or whatever. It is about getting a defender that can make the opposing offense switch what they are doing to help control that player. If it is a brainless rotation of a bunch of average players, they can simply move on to other areas to attack and take their chances.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
given Melton's injury history
Other then the one injury he is coming back from I don't think he has much of an injury history. He also isn't on a one year contract unless Dallas wants him to be on a one year contract. All of that is why 3 technique doesn't have to be a top priority but at the same time if you can get Donald you do it.

Pass rushing RE really should be the top priority for us on this defense. We have like 3 DE's on the roster who can be good enough at the LE spot. We don't have a single RE on the roster in my opinion. Sure we can play a guy like Selvie there but it wouldn't be a good fit. Sadly enough NT should also be a priority. I wouldn't use a first round pick on it but Hayden was one of the worst starting DT's in the NFL last year. McClain is purely a flier. Without another DT we will likely be looking at another year where our NT is one of the worst starters in the NFL again.

By the way our defense needs should really look like this:

RE
FS
NT
WLB
3DT

Of course with the needs we have on defense I'd just take the stud players at those positions regardless of where the priority falls. If we miss out on the pass rushing RE but get 3 studs at the other spots, then you do that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The right defensive end cannot wait. That has to be filled in this draft, no question about it.

I just am a little concerned that what they said when they released Ware will come true....they will try to fill his production with three guys.

It is not just about producing the sack numbers or whatever. It is about getting a defender that can make the opposing offense switch what they are doing to help control that player. If it is a brainless rotation of a bunch of average players, they can simply move on to other areas to attack and take their chances.
I'd rather see that rotation of young players than a reach for something that may be absent from this draft. I remember 2008 when we wanted that OL, but the draft didn't seem to fit the picks we had. Duane Brown ended up being a stud, but people thought he was a head case and a risky 1st round pick. Dallas took Jenkins instead and the rest (including predictable OL meltdown) is history. In hindsight Dallas should have taken Brown or traded down and grabbed depth. Josh Sitton and Carl Nicks turned out to be late round finds, and with extra picks the Cowboys might have landed one of them.

This year there won't be a first round RDE available when Dallas picks.

So Dee Ford in the second or a trade down for Ealy would be fine by me, but in any case those guys will need a quality rotation.

My preference would be to grab depth until we find a draft with a true 1st round RDE. RDE and QB are two positions where I feel only 1st or top 2nd round talent is acceptable. As a Cowboys fan I've come to expect the best at those spots.

Top Bottom