Mendez: Stephen says it wasn't 'unwarranted' to think offense in this draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones says it wasn't 'unwarranted' for Cowboys to think offense in this draft

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said the makeup of the roster made the Cowboys lean to offense in the draft.

The Cowboys did not draft a defensive tackle or defensive end. (They didn’t sign one, either, after the draft).

“The way I look at this, you look at where our resources are,” Jones said. “We’ve got two very high-paid pass rushers, we’ve got one great defensive tackle in Ratliff that’s been to the Pro Bowl that obviously is in his second contract. So you’ve got three guys like that in your defensive line.”

Additionally, Jones said the Cowboys have “put great resources” into linebackers Bruce Carter and Sean Lee (both second-round picks), traded very high for cornerback Morris Claiborne and put “a whole lot of money” into cornerback Brandon Carr.

He said it was time for the offense to get attention.

“We haven’t put those kinds of resources over there,” he said. “We got one tackle. Obviously, we’ve got a quarterback. And we’ve got Dez. We’ve got Miles in the back end of a contract. It starts to get into a little question mark or two from there.

“So if you really look at the balance of our team, I don’t think it was really unwarranted that we look at the offensive side of the ball.”

But Jones acknowledged that the Cowboys can’t rest on their defensive line.

“We are getting a little long in the tooth there at some of the spots, maybe,” he said. “Would you have liked the right 3-technique if he would have been there? Would we maybe have used that pick on one, if one was there? But he wasn’t there. The 3-technique wasn’t there at 18.”

-- Carlos Mendez
--------------

Goof Son is just a younger version of his father who unfortunately is becoming more and more like him every day.

There was no 3-T at 18?

Fact is, we simply didn't value it. And I am sorry, according to most reports I have read, nobody ranked Floyd any less than the 3rd ranked 3-technique in the draft. In a worst case scenario, he was behind Williams and Richardson, ahead of Short. He is not a Hankins, which is what I think he's trying to get at.

Instead of acknowledging that, he insults our intelligence and expects people to buy it.

Sadly, a lot of people will.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The fact this fucking moron said:

"we’ve got one great defensive tackle in Ratliff that’s been to the Pro Bowl that obviously is in his second contract" tells me that I'll probably never see the Cowboys win anything the rest of my life.

I mean...the braintrust is abso-lutely CLUELESS.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Then why the hell was Floyd so high on their board?

Were they rating players that didn't fit the system for shits and giggles?

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Let's see how they feel in late October when Crawford and Lissemore are starting at DT while Ratliff and Hatcher are over on the sideline nursing strained vaginas. That awesome new TE will come in real handy when the run D is giving up 6 yards a pop because we have no depth.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Then why the hell was Floyd so high on their board?

Were they rating players that didn't fit the system for shits and giggles?
No, he was rated that highly by the scouts for a reason. Jerry just decided before the draft that he was going to trade down so then he made up some bullshit about Floyd not being a fit after the fact.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No, he was rated that highly by the scouts for a reason. Jerry just decided before the draft that he was going to trade down so then he made up some bullshit about Floyd not being a fit after the fact.
Jerry didn't make it up after the fact.

You are giving him waaaaaay too much credit.

He took the negatives on his scouting report and played them up.

"Not quick twitch" enough for the scheme.

"Short arms".

You do notice nobody has pressed him on this since he made those comments on the first night of the draft.

I'd keep asking the question until it becomes obvious he is nothing but a fraud.

But most people with a brain realize that. Too bad they are so few and far between.

He trusts that people have short memories...and most of the time, they do.

Mainly because for each frick up he makes now, there will be a new one few months down the road.

Just be patient.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jerry didn't make it up after the fact.

You are giving him waaaaaay too much credit.

He took the negatives on his scouting report and played them up.

"Not quick twitch" enough for the scheme.

"Short arms".

You do notice nobody has pressed him on this.

I'd keep asking the question until it becomes obvious he is nothing but a fraud.

But most people with a brain realize that. Too bad they are so few and far between.
Well yeah, that's probably a better way to put it. Fact is (well, "fact" according to reports) he traded away from a guy who had a first round grade on his board much to the chagrin of pretty much all the scouts and coaching staff because he was dead set on trading down. Pure damage control after the fact to spin it as though Floyd was never a consideration for them, despite the fact that we know the scouts had a first round grade on him. Just more of the same shit from Jerry.

Top Bottom