Archer: Deep receiver pool could help Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Deep receiver pool could help Cowboys
April, 28, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams, the Dallas Cowboys appear set with their top two wide receivers.

Bryant is among the best in the game and coming off his first Pro Bowl. Williams had a productive rookie season with five touchdowns and will move into the starting role held by Miles Austin. The next two receivers are largely role players in Dwayne Harris and Cole Beasley.

But can Harris or Beasley hold up over a long stretch of time as an outside receiver should something happen to Bryant or Williams? The Cowboys have not gotten into the veteran free-agent market but could find a piece after the draft.

The draft is deep at wide receiver.

ESPN Insider Todd McShay said there are 21 receivers with grades in the first four rounds.

"And I don't think we're reaching," McShay said in a conference call last week, "and I think four or five others could get into the mix."

For the Cowboys that is good news. They have obvious defensive needs (end, tackle, safety) and could look for offensive line help in the first three rounds as well.

With so much depth at receiver, the Cowboys could be able to find a contributor in Rounds 3-5 and feel OK about him playing right away.

Guys like Kevin Norwood (Alabama), Brandon Coleman (Rutgers), Josh Huff (Oregon), Paul Richardson (Colorado) and Mike Davis (Texas) would have been considered better prospects in other years that could be around in those middle rounds and produce as rookies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As I said in another thread today, I think the 5th round is going to be a gold mine this year.

That is where you can steal a quality starting wide receiver in this draft. Or for that matter, CB. You want another Orlando Scandrick? 5th round this year. I'd look for more picks in the top of that round ASAP.

Jacksonville has three 5th rounders in the first 19 picks of the round.

There's your target. Trade from 16 to the mid-20s (say, like 26 -- that's Cleveland). Get a third (71) and a fourth (their later fourth - 127) as compensation for the move.

Then trade from 26 to 39 (Jacksonville's 2nd rounder) so that Jacksonville can get up for one of the falling QBs like Derek Carr. Extract in return from moving down those 13 spots their third rounder (70) and two fifths (150 and 159). Cough up a seventh or two to sweeten the pot if needed.

Final picks:

2 (39) (from Jacksonville) - DE Scott Crichton
2 (47) - DT Dominique Easley
3 (70) (from Jacksonville) - OG Gabe Jackson
3 (71) (from Cleveland) - FS LaMarcus Joyner
3 (78) - DT Will Sutton
4 (119) - QB AJ McCarron
4 (127) (from Cleveland) - OT Billy Turner
5 (150) (from Jacksonville) - WR Cody Latimer
5 (158) - CB Walt Aikens
5 (159) (from Jacksonville) - DE Aaron Lynch
7 (238)
*7 (248) (compensatory)
*7 (251) (compensatory)
*7 (254) (compensatory)

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As I said in another thread today, I think the 5th round is going to be a gold mine this year.

That is where you can steal a quality starting wide receiver in this draft. Or for that matter, CB. You want another Orlando Scandrick? 5th round this year. I'd look for more picks in the top of that round ASAP.

Jacksonville has three 5th rounders in the first 19 picks of the round.

There's your target. Trade from 16 to the mid-20s (say, like 26 -- that's Cleveland). Get a third (71) and a fourth (their later fourth - 127) as compensation for the move.

Then trade from 26 to 39 (Jacksonville's 2nd rounder) so that Jacksonville can get up for one of the falling QBs like Derek Carr. Extract in return from moving down those 13 spots their third rounder (70) and two fifths (150 and 159). Cough up a seventh or two to sweeten the pot if needed.

Final picks:

2 (39) (from Jacksonville) - DE Scott Crichton
2 (47) - DT Dominique Easley
3 (70) (from Jacksonville) - OG Gabe Jackson
3 (71) (from Cleveland) - FS LaMarcus Joyner
3 (78) - DT Will Sutton
4 (119) - QB AJ McCarron
4 (127) (from Cleveland) - OT Billy Turner
5 (150) (from Jacksonville) - WR Cody Latimer
5 (158) - CB Walt Aikens
5 (159) (from Jacksonville) - DE Aaron Lynch
7 (238)
*7 (248) (compensatory)
*7 (251) (compensatory)
*7 (254) (compensatory)
Cody Latimer is not going to make it to the fifth round.

This might be a "deep" WR group, but I think it taps out around the 4th round as far as what I want.

Frankly, I don't give a shit about the Mike Davises of this draft.

And you can take that douchebag McCarron out of your mock or we will fight.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Good Lord man, Latimer might be a late 1st and won't make it out of the 2nd, get it together.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good Lord man, Latimer might be a late 1st and won't make it out of the 2nd, get it together.
Guys like Lattimer and Savage make me laugh though. Fourth/Fifth for months. Then workouts jack the guy up and then we are told scouts have to "go back to watch the tape".

Really? You couldn't make up your minds in February that the guy could play or not? What the hell were you doing all year?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Guys like Lattimer and Savage make me laugh though. Fourth/Fifth for months. Then workouts jack the guy up and then we are told scouts have to "go back to watch the tape".

Really? You couldn't make up your minds in February that the guy could play or not? What the hell were you doing all year?
Savage I agree with, not a fan, but Latimer has production to back up the measureables and I've thought that he's a solid 3rd for most of the process, so seeing him jump to the 2nd/possible late 1st isn't really a huge surprise.

D

Deuce

This is the 3rd thread I've seen Schmidty mention Aaron Lynch. Dude is a head case. I'm not spending a 5th in a deep draft on him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He still hasn't removed McCarron. I think its fighting time.

Top Bottom