Watkins: Cowboys make smart free-agent decisions

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys make smart free-agent decisions

April, 28, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The weekend signing of defensive end Anthony Spencer is the latest example of how the Cowboys are trying to upgrade their roster even though they have little salary-cap room.

When the free-agency period started, the Cowboys were near the bottom of the league in available salary-cap space with roughly $2 million.

After they released DeMarcus Ware and restructured some contracts, the money didn’t flow, it just opened up slightly and allowed Jerry Jones -- yes, Jerry Jones the general manager -- and executive vice president Stephen Jones to make smart decisions.

Spencer’s signing came on the cheap, a team-friendly deal for a player coming off microfracture surgery with no guarantees he’ll be ready for training camp.

Spencer didn’t receive a signing bonus and his base salary will be $1.25 million. The deal jumps to as much as $3.5 million with incentives.

So basically, Spencer has to earn his money.

The highlight of the free-agent class is defensive end Henry Melton, who is also recovering from an injury. Melton played in just three games last season before tearing his ACL. Melton is on the road to recovery and Cowboys officials are confident he’ll participate in the first training camp practice in late July.

Melton basically got a one-year deal worth $2.25 million which can increase if certain incentives are met.

However, Melton also can make nearly $29 million over the next four seasons if he’s on the roster by the start of the league year in 2015.

If Melton struggles in 2014, the Cowboys can get out of it having spent probably no more than $3.5 million on him.

The Joneses made other smart decisions in free agency this spring.

They needed a backup quarterback, and coach Jason Garrett liked Brandon Weeden, a 30-year old quarterback who's still inexperienced when it comes to playing quarterback in the NFL.

So the Cowboys signed him to a two-year deal worth $1.23 million with no signing bonus. And with Kyle Orton deciding to take an extended vacation while he contemplates his future, adding Weeden and another backup quarterback, Caleb Hanie, to a one-year deal was an intelligent move by a franchise looking to reach the postseason.

With the defensive line having depth issues, the Cowboys signed defensive end Jeremy Mincey to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million. Mincey got $500,000 to sign with the Cowboys and will get a base salary of $1 million this season.

Terrell McClain was also signed as a quality defensive tackle to provide depth. McClain’s three-year deal is worth $3.05 million. McClain got $300,000 to sign and will get a base salary of $750,000.

The financial commitment is small in most if not all of these deals, and outside of the Melton signing, none of these players wow you with the expectations they will provide the difference between reaching the playoffs or not.

But when you don’t have a lot of money to play with, you need to make smart decisions and this spring the Cowboys did that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Who was the defensive lineman who got like, a million more than Mincey? Some quality guy out there.

We were smart in that we didn't break the bank, but that was out of necessity. The Weeden and Hanie signings are smart in that they are not complete trash players that we got for the minimum. The Spencer signing is smart in that we had patience and waited him out.

But overall I'm not nominating anyone for Executive of the Year based on these moves. This was not a clinic on how to rebuild a team wisely. A lot of these were desperation signings to plug holes and we could only spend peanuts, and the talent level reflects that: We got journeymen no one wanted, demoted QBs, and injury risk players.

When we show intelligence by signing legitimate under the radar young players, especially at bang for the buck positions like CB, instead of splurging on $50 million contracts, then I'll say we were smart.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So the Cowboys signed him to a two-year deal worth $1.23 million with no signing bonus. And with Kyle Orton deciding to take an extended vacation while he contemplates his future, adding Weeden and another backup quarterback, Caleb Hanie, to a one-year deal was an intelligent move by a franchise looking to reach the postseason.

I'm so glad that we're a franchise looking to reach the postseason. I'm even happier that we have the Caleb Hanie as our insurance policy to make that happen. I smell championship.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is it just me or has Watkins been on a homer tear lately?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who was the defensive lineman who got like, a million more than Mincey? Some quality guy out there.

We were smart in that we didn't break the bank, but that was out of necessity. The Weeden and Hanie signings are smart in that they are not complete trash players that we got for the minimum. The Spencer signing is smart in that we had patience and waited him out.

But overall I'm not nominating anyone for Executive of the Year based on these moves. This was not a clinic on how to rebuild a team wisely. A lot of these were desperation signings to plug holes and we could only spend peanuts, and the talent level reflects that: We got journeymen no one wanted, demoted QBs, and injury risk players.

When we show intelligence by signing legitimate under the radar young players, especially at bang for the buck positions like CB, instead of splurging on $50 million contracts, then I'll say we were smart.
Ayers.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Right.

We just ran through our DL depth chart in the other thread.... but I'd like this so much better:

RDE: A. Spencer / G. Selvie
RDT: H. Melton / B. Bass
LDT: T. McClain / N. Hayden
LDE: R. Ayers / T. Crawford

Send Mincey packing. That lineup with Ayers in the starting lineup, with Selvie as a situational, rotation player instead of a starter, is something I actually begin to feel good about if we land even one legit DT in the draft. Not for the long term, mind you, but I wouldn't be freaking out about the DL for next season in that instance.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There isn't much difference between Mincey and Ayers honestly, Ayers is a bit younger so I'd prefer that but over their careers they've produced at basically the same rate and if anything Mincey has better production.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Right.

We just ran through our DL depth chart in the other thread.... but I'd like this so much better:

RDE: A. Spencer / G. Selvie
RDT: H. Melton / B. Bass
LDT: T. McClain / N. Hayden
LDE: R. Ayers / T. Crawford

Send Mincey packing. That lineup with Ayers in the starting lineup, with Selvie as a situational, rotation player instead of a starter, is something I actually begin to feel good about if we land even one legit DT in the draft. Not for the long term, mind you, but I wouldn't be freaking out about the DL for next season in that instance.
I wouldn't count on Spencer to start. He's basically being paid to rehab on our dime. He'll probably start the year on the PUP and nurse his injury as long as possible.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wouldn't count on Spencer to start. He's basically being paid to rehab on our dime. He'll probably start the year on the PUP and nurse his injury as long as possible.
Not necessarily. He might be thinking he has to show well to get one last good contract. Hard to do that if you're nursing an injury all year and not playing.

hstour

Brand New Member
Not necessarily. He might be thinking he has to show well to get one last good contract. Hard to do that if you're nursing an injury all year and not playing.
And a lot of his money is tied to game played:

According to the contract, if Spencer starts the year on the physically unable to perform list or is placed on injured reserve, then he would be paid a split salary of $423,000.

A split salary for a veteran of Spencer’s ilk is not common and shows even more how team-friendly the one-year deal is.

Spencer did not receive a signing bonus and has a base salary of $1.25 million. For every week he is on the 46-man gameday roster, he will receive $46,875 as part of a roster bonus, maxing out at $750,000.

Spencer has $1.5 million available through incentives. He can earn $250,000 for seven sacks, $500,000 for nine sacks and $750,000 for 11 sacks. If he plays 65 percent of the snaps, he earns $250,000, topping out at $750,000 if he plays in 85 percent.

Top Bottom