Eatman: Evaluating How Each Draft Pick Fits Into Their Respective Spot

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Evaluating How Each Draft Pick Fits Into Their Respective Spot

Posted 27 minutes ago

Nick EatmanDallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas
– Now that the NFL Draft has come and gone, the roster has a different look and feel than it did just a few days ago.

The Cowboys had seven draft picks and selected seven different positions. Of course, they are expected to add more than 15 undrafted rookie free agents for likely every position on the field.

So the biggest and most obvious question must be asked: Have the Cowboys gotten better? They certainly hope so, and only time will tell for sure, but let’s now break down the seven draft picks, relative to their new roles within the team and their respective positions.

Travis Frederick – Jerry Jones has stuck to his rule that first-round picks come in and start. Despite taking a center in the first round for the first time since 1979, the Cowboys will play Frederick right away, presumably at center but it could be guard, depending on the rest of the line. While the team is still intrigued by Phil Costa, drafting Frederick suggests he will start out at center. Jones called him a “foundation player” for the offensive line so without a doubt, Frederick will get every opportunity to start.

Gavin Escobar – The San Diego State tight end was a surprise pick, but then again, we’ve seen this before. In 2006, the Cowboys drafted Anthony Fasano to pair up with Jason Witten and then did it again in 2008 with Martellus Bennett. Obviously, the pick means the Cowboys are looking to trying to this again with Escobar, who is another Bennett-type with a big frame and athletic ability. He will likely compete with James Hanna for the No. 2 spot but his playmaking skills, along with his draft status, should give Escobar the advantage to be Witten’s primary backup.

Terrance Williams – The Cowboys nearly drafted Williams with the 31[SUP]st[/SUP] pick and then considered him even more at No. 47. So getting him with the 74[SUP]th[/SUP]pick is a big-time steal in their minds. While he will probably jump into the No. 3 role, he’s only an injury away from starting. And playing behindDez Bryant and Miles Austin has proven that to be a strong possibility. More than anything, Williams’ selection is one for the future as he could be one of the two starters as early as 2014.

J.J. Wilcox – Another interesting pick because he addresses a need at safety, but is probably the most inexperienced safety in the entire draft. He played just one year at Georgia Southern at safety, after three years at running back. Wilcox is raw, but is a physical player who might compete pretty early for the starting job, simply because of the competition he’ll have to beat out. Guys like Barry Church, Matt Johnson,Will Allen and Danny McCray make up the position now. And watch out for rookie Jekar Hamilton, another small-school priority free agent who could sneak into the mix.
B.W. Webb – The Cowboys didn’t have a strong need at corner, but then again, the position can look vastly different pretty quick with a couple of injuries. We saw that in the 2011 season opener against the Jets when Church and Bryan McCann were forced to play on the outside. So Webb should come in and compete for spots on the nickel and dime packages, along with special teams. He’s a small-school player who was dominant on a lower level, but if he can produce anything like his former college teammate, Sean Lissemore, he should have a nice role.
Joseph Randle– This could be a high-value pick, especially if he steps in as the No. 2 tailback behind DeMarco Murray. Randle will likely jump both Phillip Tanner and Lance Dunbar on the depth chart, but then again, nothing is guaranteed. Randle does have a similar running style to Murray and in the last two years, he’s shown a nose for the end zone, scoring 40 times.
DeVonte Holloman – He’ll be listed as an outside linebacker but he also played safety in college. Holloman is a classic “tweener” and since he’s a sixth-round pick, it is likely his role will consist mainly of special teams. There’s nothing wrong with that if he can prove to be a valuable contributor to all teams. As for the outside linebacker spot, he’ll have to beat out guys like Alex Albright, Ernie Sims and maybe a few undrafted rookies, including priority free agent Brandon Magee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Evaluating How Each Draft Pick Fits Into Their Respective Spot

The title has the real problem.

Everyone is slotted.

There is no competition. Nobody on this roster is challenged except for the fringe dwellers.

Frederick takes over for Costa. But they are "intrigued" still.

Escobar takes over for FA loss in Phillips.

Wilcox takes Sensabaugh's vacancy. But golly, I wonder if he beats out the schlub vet we signed?

Williams takes over for POS Ogletree.

Holy crap you guys, I sure hope Scandrick has to fight off Black Wiener. Otherwise you are just taking shots at weak need areas and hardly thinking about what happens if, well, you were wrong with the pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The title has the real problem.

Everyone is slotted.

There is no competition. Nobody on this roster is challenged except for the fringe dwellers.

Frederick takes over for Costa. But they are "intrigued" still.

Escobar takes over for FA loss in Phillips.

Wilcox takes Sensabaugh's vacancy. But golly, I wonder if he beats out the schlub vet we signed?

Williams takes over for POS Ogletree.

Holy crap you guys, I sure hope Scandrick has to fight off Black Wiener. Otherwise you are just taking shots at weak need areas and hardly thinking about what happens if, well, you were wrong with the pick.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Whatever, hater. Escobar will compete with Witten...

...eventually.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I kind of hope Scandrick gives in to Black Wiener.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Almost took Terrance Williams at 31. I'm sure the spin would've been he was in the 20's on their board and didn't want to risk losing him. Of course now we all know he was still around in the 3rd round like he should've been....and like Frederick would've been there at 47.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Almost took Terrance Williams at 31. I'm sure the spin would've been he was in the 20's on their board and didn't want to risk losing him. Of course now we all know he was still around in the 3rd round like he should've been....and like Frederick would've been there at 47.
Sources? Link?

HUNH? HUNH?[/dipshit]

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
On twitter someone asked who would be #2 TE, Broaddus said he'd use Hanna. Some fans took offense and Broaddus said he that Hanna was a better athlete and is quicker and runs better routes than Escobar.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
On twitter someone asked who would be #2 TE, Broaddus said he'd use Hanna. Some fans took offense and Broaddus said he that Hanna was a better athlete and is quicker and runs better routes than Escobar.
Hmmm.

I bet he becomes more and more like the rest of the "evil media" as a result.

He's already there for even suggesting that....~gasp~....Frederick would have been available in the second round.

He must be out for clicks or something on his articles.

Wait a second, he's on the official payroll.

Shit...lemme think of something else to blast him about...

Oh yeah, ya see that pic of a Packer Super Bowl ring he got as a GB scout on his Twitter page? He's a hater! Why doesn't he flash pics of his second place ribbon when he was a Cowboys scout?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Williams and Webb might push Scandrick and Austin off the roster in the next 2 years or so if they keep dicking around with their inflated salaries.

I actually think Williams could be quite a weapon for us if we actually use him, that might've been the best value pick that we made.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Williams and Webb might push Scandrick and Austin off the roster in the next 2 years or so if they keep dicking around with their inflated salaries.
Whoa. That's a plus.

I'd hope that they were gone anyways. This might be the nudge out the door.

Wait...which guy has a contract which makes it damn near impossible to cut him?

That's where we will mysteriously see playing time curbed for that respective backup.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whoa. That's a plus.

I'd hope that they were gone anyways. This might be the nudge out the door.

Wait...which guy has a contract which makes it damn near impossible to cut him?

That's where we will mysteriously see playing time curbed for that respective backup.
Yea, Austin deserves to play though, he's still good but he just can't stay healthy. I don't expect either of them to be cut this year but maybe after the 2014 season, although I think both of their deals might be just about up at that point anyway.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If we had NE's front office we'd be talking about the premium picks we'll be getting for Austin and Scandrick when we trade them next season as TW and BW take their spots. BUT since it's teh JJ we'll be lucky not to take it up the ass...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, Austin deserves to play though, he's still good but he just can't stay healthy. I don't expect either of them to be cut this year but maybe after the 2014 season, although I think both of their deals might be just about up at that point anyway.
Nothing personal against Austin he is still a good WR but the dude just can't stay healthy and he has zero pain tolerance. It's like he doesn't even try to play through injuries. Beyond that he is just getting paid way too much. This season he will only count 3.58 mil but the following year he will count 8.248 mil. The following year 9.636 mil. At 3.58 he is a valuable number 2 WR but after that his cap figure starts to get out of control considering his production.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I haven't heard anything but Hanna must be in the doghouse for some reason. Not that our idiot staff has a clue, but there has to be something they don't like about him because physically he's presents the kind of mismatch for defenses they claim to want.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we had NE's front office we'd be talking about the premium picks we'll be getting for Austin and Scandrick when we trade them next season as TW and BW take their spots. BUT since it's teh JJ we'll be lucky not to take it up the ass...
If we were NE's front office we'd pwn getting picks and then promptly blow each and every one after the top half of round 2.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If we were NE's front office we'd pwn getting picks and then promptly blow each and every one after the top half of round 2.
And would have been in the playoffs with a shot at the SB...

Please I love the cowboys, but NE fans have had more to enjoy watching their team than us for basically the last two decades...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And would have been in the playoffs with a shot at the SB...

Please I love the cowboys, but NE fans have had more to enjoy watching their team than us for basically the last two decades...
And if you take Tom Brady off that roster they would have been complete and total shit. I'm not going to justify a bunch of terrible picks because they hit the jackpot with Tom Brady in the sixth round of the draft. The Patriots do a masterful job of acquiring draft picks and then they use them foolishly.

Top Bottom