Graziano: Eye of the beholder - The Cowboys' draft

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eye of the beholder: The Cowboys' draft

April, 29, 2013

By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

The way you feel about the Dallas Cowboys' 2013 draft seems to depend on the way you feel about how they handled the first round. Ashley Fox, feels they bungled it badly, and theorizes that they did so because Jerry Jones was distracted by his attendance at the opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Library earlier in the day.

Now, I understand that Jerry excels at making himself an easy target. And I like Ashley's work. But on this point, I couldn't disagree with her more strongly. The way the Cowboys handled the first round has all the hallmarks of a coherent plan. A distracted decision-maker would have stayed put and taken the highest player on the board at No. 18, even if he didn't think that player was worth such a high pick. What the Cowboys did made sense on a number of levels.

First of all, they trade down with the 49ers, getting the 31st pick of the first round and the 12th pick of the third in exchange for that No. 18 pick. The biggest criticism we've heard is that they should have been able to get more from the 49ers, but different draft-value charts say different things on that and it takes two sides to make a deal. If they didn't have a player they liked at 18 and they saw a chance to get two that they did, then there's nothing wrong with taking that deal.

The player they ended up taking at 31, Wisconsin center Travis Frederick, projects as both an immediate and long-term starter for the Cowboys at either center or one of the guard spots. The second criticism is that they reached for him -- that they could have had him in the second or maybe even the third round. But (a) no one knows that for sure and (b) the 31st pick is practically the second round anyway. It's not as though they took Frederick 10th overall (or even 18th, for that matter). The Cowboys absolutely, 100 percent, more than any team needed anything in this entire draft, needed to come out of the first round with a new starter on the offensive line. They did. And they got an extra third-round pick out of the deal and used it on Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams, a new vertical threat for Tony Romo in the passing game.

Along the way, they added second-round tight end Gavin Escobar, who also offers the opportunity to expand their options in the passing game and represents the successor toJason Witten down the road. With their original third-rounder, they added physical safetyJ.J. Wilcox, who could push for a starting spot this year. In the fourth they added a cornerback, B.W. Webb, deepening a position at which there's no such thing as too many bodies. In the fifth they took a running back, Joseph Randle, who didn't miss a game in college, to back up the injury-prone DeMarco Murray. And in the sixth they took project linebacker DeVonte Holloman.

They filled needs at good value in rounds two through six, and their second and third picks of the draft will help them add layers to their offense, offering Romo more options from play to play and game to game as his receiving threats become more numerous and varied. If it weren't for the weird way the first round went down, people would be hailing this as a fine draft for the Cowboys. And frankly, too many people are overreacting too strongly to the way the first round went down.

This was a lousy draft class, people. A bad year. Very little, if any, top-level talent, and if you're picking 18th that puts you in a tough spot. Considering that, and the fact that they needed to get an offensive lineman in the first round, I think the Cowboys acquitted themselves rather coolly. I certainly don't think the way they operated their first round indicates distraction or the lack of a plan. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Fans might be happier today had they gone offensive line again in the second or third round, or if they'd found a defensive tackle early. They could have stayed put at 18 and taken Sharrif Floyd, and perhaps that would have been hailed as a coup, since Floyd had been projected to go much earlier. But this is the part I never get. All we hear going into the draft is how useless all of these projections are, and then while the draft is going on everybody wants to use them to critique the picks. There was some good reason Floyd fell all the way to 23, and Dallas was hardly the only team to pass on him.

If Frederick never starts a game, or turns out to be a bust, then obviously it'll be easy to look back and say the Cowboys bungled this. But in a bad draft year, why not take the players you like instead of the ones the mock-drafters told you to like? I think the Cowboys got five players who could contribute right away, and Frederick could start on their line for the next eight years. I honestly don't see what's to rip.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I generally agree, especially if we go out and really shore up the OL with a Clabo signing.

My main problem is that our DL is old, with little depth and we have two starters on the last years of their current deal. If our DL stays healthy (big if) I think we'll probably be ok but that position group has the makings of a potential disaster right now.

If Brent can come back and play that would be a huge boost, as would a guy like Brian Price somehow developing into a decent rotation player.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Don't worry, next year will be an all-defense draft again.
That's my take on the draft.

Jerry's got a new defensive coordinator and he refused to do him any good.

Next year Kiffin gets his pick of the litter.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And the trade down was not coherent.

The guys he obviously wanted were gone and he took whatever he could get to trade down.

I listened to a bit of Jerry's press conference and he makes it sound like this Frederick fellow was his guy all along and Terrance Williams was like a bonus.

Frikkin rip off used car salesman bastard...if the trade was so smart he should have traded down further and accumulated more picks while still taking Frederick.

He made the move to make a move, and rationalized the pick in only the way Jerry can.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
In the end we'll all rationalize it ourselves and deal with it because it's all we can do.

I do hope Frederick kicks major ass, but I wish he would have been our 2nd or 3rd round pick if he was really THE guy.

Lotuseater

Banned
He was the best lineman available. He wouldn't have bet he'd be there past the top half of the 2nd.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's my take on the draft.

Jerry's got a new defensive coordinator and he refused to do him any good.

Next year Kiffin gets his pick of the litter.
Then we'll draft all Kiffin guys.

Then Kiffin will retire the following year.

Cotton

Staff member
Did you honestly think Pugh and Long would go 19th and 20th? Yet Dallas gets criticized for taking the same quality player... AND getting a 3rd round pick on top of it.
I don't care what other teams did. We shouldn't have taken a consensus 3rd round guy and got raped in the trade in the process.

Oh, and it's debateable that he was even the best lineman available. Warford was still there, too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't care what other teams did. We shouldn't have taken a consensus 3rd round guy and got raped in the trade in the process.
He was more of a consensus 2nd round guy, I think only Mayock had him in the 3rd round.

Just about every team outside of KC, Jacksonville, and Tennessee unapologetically and brazenly reached when they took their OL. They each looked at the talent available, shook their heads, and punted, defaulting to the one position you really can't win without.

I wanted Dallas to draft value, but when value doesn't present itself you should trade down. If you want to target a specific player, you should also trade down or up to get him. The Cowboys apparently felt both situations applied. I dislike drafting for need, but if you're going to draft for need and come away with an OL it's at least tolerable.

Especially if you get an extra fricking pick, which none of the other "reachers" got.

The top of this draft for Dallas comes down to Floyd vs. Frederick and Terrance Williams. Frederick and Williams is definitely a better combo from what I can tell.

Cotton

Staff member
For as much as you yell about BPA, you sure are going against what you have argued for in the past.

Cotton

Staff member
Listen, I hope he pans out. I think he's a good player. I just think it's a ridiculous reach to try and justify the pick with "he was the best available _________ at that point". It's no where close to how a draft should be run.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
For as much as you yell about BPA, you sure are going against what you have argued for in the past.
It hurts, and I'm definitely not grading the draft an A, but I see value in every round given what was available the general suckiness of the class itself and the crazy run on OL.

Dallas took their OL and got an extra pick in the process. They deliberately drafted for need in Frederick and Wilcox, while Randle I'd call a wise choice regardless of need given the punishment RB's take in this league. Two picks out of seven and getting an extra pick which they managed not to screw up.

Better than we've seen by far from this organization in the past, and it actually gives me some hope.

Last edited:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
What a crock of shit article. I quit reading halfway through it. He sounds like he's had Jerry's dick in his mouth.

Top Bottom