Archer: Chat leftovers - Better to have more picks

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Chat leftovers: Better to have more picks

April, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With last week’s chat pushed back a day, the chat-leftover post was also pushed back to today.

Quick leftover question: pulled pork or ribs? For lunch today, I’m going with a leftover pulled pork sandwich.

Now on to the chat leftovers in which we discuss the thought that the Cowboys might have too many picks, a receiver possible in the first round, Davin Joseph and Jackson Jeffcoatplaying for his dad’s team.

If you want to read the chat, click here. We’ll be chatting again on Wednesday at Noon ET.

Away we go:

Miles, Columbia, Mo.: I keep reading Dallas has too many draft picks(11), and not all of them can make the team; so we should trade them to move up. This is flawed logic. The more picks, the better chance you have of finding quality pieces. Would you agree?

Todd Archer: Totally flawed logic. Cowboys fans should remember Jimmy Johnson did his best work with more picks, not less. He could miss on third-rounders almost yearly because they would find some hits later in the draft thanks to more picks. The Cowboys can’t trade three of their picks because the seventh-round compensatory selections are not allowed to be dealt. But the reason I’d want more picks is because this team lacks depth. They are top heavy against the cap because they have had to sign free agents to fill in for draft picks that did not work out. Think Mackenzy Bernadeau for David Arkin, and Bernadeau is reasonably priced but still has a bigger stake in the cap. If the Cowboys aren’t enthralled with what’s left at No. 16, I’d trade down if they have a team willing to give them more picks. This roster isn't so stacked with talent that the Cowboys can be so cavalier with their selections. They can use help just about everywhere.

Will Kershner, Rochester, N.Y.: Is there any chance the boys take Mike Evans in the first round if he falls to us at 16?

Todd Archer: Absolutely. I think a receiver could be the pick in the first round, be it Evans or Odell Beckham or Marqise Lee. I need to pick more brains over at Valley Ranch on the receivers, but if a guy slipped and they don’t like the defensive players available but I see receiver as a possibility. Dez Bryant has a back issue that hasn’t resolved in two years.Terrance Williams has the look of a player but is hardly a given. The backups are solid but limited.

Shaun, Texas: I would love if the cowboys could get Davin Joseph, he would bring depth and experience. And now the Cowboys are not locked to a guard in the draft. What’s the likelihood he signs?

Todd Archer: I would put it at less than 50 percent chance he signs before the draft. It will come down to price and the health of his knee. He did not play well in Tampa Bay last year, which led to his release. That and the $6 million price. If he is willing to take a lot less – a lot – then the Cowboys would be open to him. They don’t have much veteran depth on board right now and Joseph could push Bernadeau or Ronald Leary. He could serve as the swing guy on game day if he doesn’t win a job. But I don’t think the expectations should be too high if he comes on board.

Brent, Sherman: Obviously pass rushers are a big need, and many of the questions have been about Barr, Ealy, etc., but would a player like Jackson Jeffcoat be a good be worth a look in the second round to add even more depth?

Todd Archer: People who know more about this stuff than me say the second round would be a little rich for Jeffcoat. Maybe the third would be a good spot. But I’d take a bet on his genes. His dad played forever and is one of the more underrated Cowboys. Jeffcoat had some health problems at Texas (torn pectoral) but showed up well at the combine and had a good senior year. He is active. He can get to the passer. He’s something of a tweener, but he could be a situational pass-rusher if the Cowboys don’t get a guy in the first two rounds.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Miles, Columbia, Mo.: I keep reading Dallas has too many draft picks(11), and not all of them can make the team; so we should trade them to move up. This is flawed logic. The more picks, the better chance you have of finding quality pieces. Would you agree?

Goddamn.

Top Bottom