Mailbag: Would You Trade 2015’s 1st For Another No. 1 Pick?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mailbag: Would You Trade 2015’s 1st For Another No. 1 Pick?
Posted 1 hour ago

DARREN JAMES
TULSA, OK
Does it concern anyone else that the Cowboys don’t have another proven running back who can handle 20-plus touches a game if something happens to DeMarco Murray? Is Joseph Randle the answer, or should the Cowboys be looking at other options?

Nick: I think the Cowboys will give Randle opportunities to be that guy. That’s what he did in college. That’s why they drafted him. He needs a strong offseason in the weight room but I wouldn’t be surprised if Randle is the clear-cut backup to Murray if he goes down. Lance Dunbar has a role as well if he can stay healthy. And yeah, taking a running back isn’t a bad idea if there’s good value. But Randle should be able to handle the load if and when Murray goes down.

David: It seems impatient to give up on Randle after one season – a season in which he wasn’t great, but he didn’t necessarily do anything wrong. They said when they drafted him last year that he’d be the guy to spell Murray when he needed it. But it’ll be interesting to see if they can resist some of the more talented running backs in this draft – several of whom should be there when they pick in the third, fourth and fifth rounds.

MARCUS ARNOLD
ATLANTA, GA
If you can find a team willing to do it, would it be worth it to you to package your 2015 first round pick with maybe 2014's 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a second first round pick this year and add another difference maker?

Nick: Sounds like you’ve been talking to Jason Garrett. Seriously, that would be more of a short-term move and who knows, maybe the Cowboys would be willing to do that. I just wonder what kind of difference-maker are we talking about here. You’re going to get another pick in the late-teens or in the 20s and he’s going to be someone good enough to salvage next year’s first-round pick? If you do that, it needs to be for a quarterback and I don’t know if there’s one you’d get that late in the first round that makes sense. Not a bad idea but I don’t think you’ll see it happen.

David: Here’s the thing: that sounds like something you’d do if you were one good player away from the Super Bowl. Do you think the Cowboys are one good player away from a championship? I personally do not. So it seems unwise to send away an important pick on a guy you’d likely pick up at the tail end of the first round. Patience and prudence should rule the Cowboys’ offseason philosophy until they prove they’re ready to take the next step. So far, that’s been what’s happening this year. I doubt they’d take such a drastic measure.

dallen

Senior Tech
You should be able to add difference makers with 2014's 2nd and 3rd round picks

Cotton

Staff member
You should be able to add difference makers with 2014's 2nd and 3rd round picks
Yeah, I would agree with that. Save all the picks this year, or possibly move down for more picks if the board falls that way.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
You could get 5 1st rounders but you still have the same dipshit making the selection.

Next question.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He does well with first rounders. It's the rounds that follow that are a concern.

data

Forbes #1
If we trade away next years 1st rounder, we go 1-15.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Depends on what first we get.

For what we would realistically be able to acquire for a first next year (a 2014 first in the 20s)? Probably no.

If we could trade a 2015 first for a pick to select Johnny Manziel, sure.

Cotton

Staff member
Depends on what first we get.

For what we would realistically be able to acquire for a first next year (a 2014 first in the 20s)? Probably no.

If we could trade a 2015 first for a pick to select Johnny Manziel, sure.
Nope.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Getting more picks in a deep draft is always a good thing, unless you are trading away picks from a deeper draft.

2014 is supposedly deeper than most, so I'd say go for it.

data

Forbes #1
Well, you just hate Manziel.

If you could trade a 2015 first for a 22 year old QB prospect you thought would pan out, would you?
Just so you could develop that QB for another team? No way. /jerruh

Cotton

Staff member
Well, you just hate Manziel.

If you could trade a 2015 first for a 22 year old QB prospect you thought would pan out, would you?
If it wasn't a 50/50, yeah.

hstour

Brand New Member
I'd much rather be the acquiring team than the paying team.

Belichick does it by trading down and instead of sticking to trading with the same year's picks, throws out asking for a higher round pick from the following year. It seems like he is helping out the team he's trading with by not taking picks away from them this year. And human nature is to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow, so people in general don't value future picks as high.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You're correct and that should be our strategy. But for a franchise QB you pay the price.

hstour

Brand New Member
Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not really. On the Tyron Smith thread I showed where only 30% of the starting QBs in the league were top 10 picks. Only 48.88% of them are first round picks. The majority comes from the 2nd round or lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_starting_quarterbacks
And the majority of the ones who weren't selected high in the draft aren't ones anybody would want on their Super Bowl team.

I would trade up for a QB I felt was the right pick every single time. And you can throw out names like JaMarcus Russell because everyone knew he was a lousy first overall pick.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

hstour

Brand New Member
And the majority of the ones who weren't selected high in the draft aren't ones anybody would want on their Super Bowl team.

I would trade up for a QB I felt was the right pick every single time. And you can throw out names like JaMarcus Russell because everyone knew he was a lousy first overall pick.
I'm just saying you don't have to trade up. There are plenty of examples of franchise QBs picked 15 and down that you don't have to give up a pick to get:

Joe Flacco (18)
Aaron Rogers (24)
Matt Schaub (90) - I'd throw out last year. Something happened to that team a a whole. Matt was very good in the years prior
Tom Brady (199)
Drew Brees (32)
Colin Kaepernick (36)
Russell Wilson (75)

None of those would require a trade up from an 8-8 team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You don't have to, but those guys don't always slide either.

If you really like Manziel, go get him.

Top Bottom