Kiper: Mock 4.0 goes two rounds

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiper: Mock 4.0 goes two rounds

Two full rounds of picks with surprises at quarterback in latest mock

A couple things to remember as you read the latest mock draft, for which I've projected not just one, but two rounds:

• This does NOT reflect my prospect rankings. It reflects a projection of how I believe decision-makers for teams currently value players. For my latest prospect rankings go to the Big Board and the top 10 prospects by position.

• As you hear about players "rising" and "falling" among evaluators with teams, remember that while it can be a smokescreen, it also reflects the reality that even now, there are decision-makers who are still getting caught up with tape and evaluations on prospects. You never truly get perfect information in a market sense.

With those things noted, let's get into the picks.

Jadeveon Clowney

Houston Texans (2-14)

COLLEGE: South Carolina

Class: Jr

HT: 6-5

WT: 266

POS: DE

Analysis: I'm certain the debate about which player to take still exists, and whether the pick could be moved. I still think this could be a quarterback. But I believe that while more than one "safe" pick exists in this draft, it's hard to play it safer in terms of upside than selecting a generational physical talent, a guy who has exceptional physical skills and the ability to bring immediate impact and create consistent matchup problems up front as teams deal with the reality of how to block both Clowney and J.J. Watt. The questions on Clowney still aren't enough to diminish the potential impact. He's the top prospect in a draft full of very good ones, and I think Houston will feel the same.

PLAYER CARD

Greg Robinson

St. Louis Rams (7-9)

COLLEGE: Auburn

WT: 332

POS: OT

Analysis: If I'm making the pick, I'm willing to consider Sammy Watkins here based on need, and would also certainly consider the option of moving down a few spots if the offer is rich enough. But Robinson is one of the better offensive linemen to enter the draft in years, with the upside of an All-Pro at left tackle, capable of neutralizing the best pass-rushers and absolutely mauling defenders in the run game. St. Louis can select him knowing an impact wide receiver is still going to be available at No. 13 (and even beyond that given the depth at the position).

PLAYER CARD

Sammy Watkins

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)

COLLEGE: Clemson

HT: 6-0

WT: 211

POS: WR

Analysis: The temptation to take a quarterback here may exist, but I look at the trajectory of this organization, both in performance and in personnel development, and I believe the Jaguars will look to take the best player available here, and in Watkins, they also add a dynamic talent at a position of need. Given the uncertain future of Justin Blackmon, the top two wide receivers on the roster are Cecil Shorts and Ace Sanders. Neither has the upside of Watkins, who will make the QB -- whoever that ends up being -- better.

PLAYER CARD

Johnny Manziel

Cleveland Browns (4-12)

COLLEGE: Texas A&M

Class: Soph

HT: 5-11

WT: 207

POS: QB

Analysis: Manziel is not my top-rated QB, but he is the QB I believe (right now) is likeliest to go this high, as I believe a team like Cleveland, with a number of draft assets and a QB on the roster it feels can create a bridge to a young starter, is in a good scenario to take a chance on Manziel's ceiling. The Browns owning the No. 26 pick as well as an early second-rounder gives them a chance to take a player like Watkins here if available and consider a QB later, but this is how I see it as of right now.

PLAYER CARD

Khalil Mack

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

COLLEGE: Buffalo

HT: 6-2

WT: 251

POS: OLB

Analysis: Oakland's move to add Matt Schaub puts the Raiders back in position to take the best player available as opposed to making a slight reach at quarterback. Mack gives the Raiders a needed pass-rusher, even though they've already spent some money on the position in free agency, adding Lamarr Woodley and Justin Tuck. Mack would also provide them with another good building-block player on defense, along with fellow linebacker Sio Moore. I also think the Raiders should consider moving down and collecting additional pick assets.

PLAYER CARD

Taylor Lewan

Atlanta Falcons (4-12)

COLLEGE: Michigan

HT: 6-7

WT: 309

Analysis: I consider tackle a big need for Atlanta, a team that last year balanced an inability to consistently protect Matt Ryan with a consistent inability to open holes for anybody Ryan handed the ball off to. While Robinson and Jake Matthews are both very good players and should be at the next level, there's a case to be made that Lewan is the most ready tackle for NFL competition, with four good years under his belt. I think he could start at right or left tackle in Week 1.

PLAYER CARD

Mike Evans

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)

HT: 6-4

WT: 231

Analysis: The Bucs brought in a new QB and addressed some needs on defense in free agency, but I still see wide receiver as a pretty significant need, with Vincent Jackson 31 and entering what could be his final season in Tampa, and no depth behind him. And if you just want to be able to say you're drafting the best player available on the board at this slot, if you take Evans, you can do that too. Evans makes up for a lack of short-area burst (and thus the ability to separate underneath) by dominating at the catch point, particularly up high. The combination of him and Jackson will be a matchup nightmare, particularly in the red zone.

PLAYER CARD

Blake Bortles

Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)

COLLEGE: UCF

WT: 232

Analysis: The combination of Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder will provide a bridge to Bortles, a player I believe would benefit from not starting early as he develops a familiarity with an offense that requires more downfield reads. I don't have Bortles rated as high as I do Bridgewater, but again, this is a projection of where players will be chosen, not my prospect rankings. What I will say is that I do believe Bortles has a high ceiling because he's a pretty special athlete with some really good instincts for the position; his pocket movement in particular is really impressive. When you consider his development trajectory, there's a lot to be excited about.

PLAYER CARD

Jake Matthews

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

WT: 308

Analysis: I just really like this fit both in scheme and need, and Matthews is the best player left on the board at this point anyway. Despite my early belief that Cordy Glenn would be better on the right side, he's been a good player at left tackle, which means Matthews likely comes in as the needed solution on the right side. The transition from left tackle to right and vice versa tends to get tossed about as something that's no big deal, but it can be a tough one for players, which makes Matthews that much more valuable, because he's demonstrated an ability to, frankly, dominate on either side.

PLAYER CARD

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Detroit Lions (7-9)

COLLEGE: Alabama

HT: 6-1

WT: 208

POS: S

Analysis: The addition of James Ihedigbo in free agency doesn't diminish Detroit's need for more help at safety. Getting the top free safety in the draft, a guy who will distinguish himself with his ability to cover with great range, fills a pretty big personnel void for Detroit, and this isn't much of a leap in terms of where Clinton-Dix's name is stacked on most draft boards. I do think Detroit could consider a corner here, I just see Clinton-Dix as a better player and a likelier early impact maker for a team that should feel like it can be in the playoff picture if it can be better in coverage. The depth at CB in this draft means the Lions can add one later.

PLAYER CARD

Justin Gilbert

Tennessee Titans (7-9)

COLLEGE: Oklahoma State

Class: Sr

WT: 202

POS: CB

Analysis: If I'm Tennessee I'm taking a hard look at drafting Teddy Bridgewater right here, but this is a mock draft and not "Mel's draft." The Titans took a hit at cornerback with the departure of Alterraun Verner and Gilbert will come in as an experienced player -- he was great as a sophomore and added two more years on top of that -- who also offers some spark in the return game. Gilbert was exceptional in workouts, and offers good size to match up against the growing list of big NFL wide receivers.

PLAYER CARD

Eric Ebron

New York Giants (7-9)

COLLEGE: North Carolina

WT: 250

POS: TE

Analysis: Here's a case where you can accuse me of projecting a team to take the same player I would if it was my decision. Ebron is a potential difference-maker for the next stage of Eli Manning's career, a big target in the passing game who can create constant matchup problems with his size and quickness underneath, and down the field with his speed and catch radius (again, size). The Giants have had four different tight ends catch the most passes at that position over the past four years. They could use a really good one.

PLAYER CARD

Darqueze Dennard

St. Louis Rams (7-9)

COLLEGE: Michigan State

HT: 5-10

WT: 199

Analysis: I'll get pilloried here for not making this a wide receiver, but do remember this is a very deep draft at that position, and getting the cornerback with the most diverse skill set in the draft would also really help this team. Dennard is ready to help an NFL team at a position where rookies tend to get beat up pretty bad early on as they adjust to the speed and talent level of NFL wide receivers. But Dennard can play on or off, attacks the backfield as a run defender, and can mirror routes as well as any CB in the draft. Yes, I think this could be Odell Beckham, too. We'll see.

PLAYER CARD

Aaron Donald

Chicago Bears (8-8)

COLLEGE: Pittsburgh

WT: 285

POS: DT

Analysis: The Bears added Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen in free agency, a big help to the defensive line. But by the end of last season -- with injuries to blame -- no defensive line was in worse shape than Chicago's, and the team still needs to stack some more sandbags up front or the Bears are going to be in trouble against any team with a decent run game. Donald is the most disruptive interior defender in this draft, and precisely with the Bears need, a play wrecker from the 3-technique role.

PLAYER CARD

Odell Beckham Jr.

Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)

COLLEGE: LSU

WT: 198

Analysis: Markus Wheaton, whom the Steelers got in last year's draft, can develop into a good player, but he's also the No. 2 wide receiver on this team as of today, and that can change if the Steelers grab Beckham. An explosive mover, Beckham can run by defenders, but also does a great job of creating space underneath. He's also the kind of player who becomes extremely dangerous and hard to cover when Ben Roethlisberger extends plays.

PLAYER CARD

Zack Martin

Dallas Cowboys (8-8)

COLLEGE: Notre Dame

WT: 308

Analysis: Dallas fans might find this quizzical given the need along the defensive line, but consider what's available: Donald is out of the picture, I think Dallas should see this slot as too rich for a player like Anthony Barr, who is a questionable system fit anyway, and the top safety is also off the board. Martin makes sense as a player who can shore up the right tackle position, which is a problem area. I also think this is a place where the Cowboys could look to move if they don't see the value here at those bigger need positions. It's what they did last year.

PLAYER CARD

Calvin Pryor

Baltimore Ravens (8-8)

COLLEGE: Louisville

WT: 207

POS: S

Analysis: The Ravens have a pretty sizable void at safety, with no real starter-worthy player on the roster to pair with Matt Elam. Pryor represents a good solution, a player who can cover, and will come downhill and deliver hits with authority. Pryor isn't quite the ace in coverage that Clinton-Dix is, and if Clinton-Dix is available at this slot he could become the pick, but Pryor is hardly a consolation prize given his range and playmaking abilities, something the Ravens' defense needs.

PLAYER CARD

Brandin Cooks

New York Jets (8-8)

COLLEGE: Oregon State

HT: 5-9

WT: 189

Analysis: No player was a tougher cover in college football last year, and we learned why once we got to see Cooks run at the combine. This is a player who is every bit the athlete last year's top wide receiver selection Tavon Austin is, and Cooks is also a little bit bigger. He's just the type of player the Jets need, a tough cover both underneath and running intermediate routes. The Jets need more than one pass-catcher out of this draft, but I also said that last year and they went defense with the first two picks.

PLAYER CARD

C.J. Mosley

Miami Dolphins (8-8)

COLLEGE: Alabama

WT: 234

POS: ILB

Analysis: I don't consider this Miami's No. 1 need, but this is when "best player on the board" really comes into play. Mosley could be passed up until this range due to some injury concerns and positional value, but this is a big-time playmaker who can lead your defense and is worthy of going higher. The thing people need to remember about Mosley is he doesn't need to come off the field. The guy is a gifted player in coverage from his position.

PLAYER CARD

Derek Carr

Arizona Cardinals (10-6)

COLLEGE: Fresno State

WT: 214

Analysis: My friend Todd McShay will cringe when he sees this -- he's been consistent in saying Carr is not worthy of being drafted remotely this high -- but this is a mock, not a player ranking. The Cardinals have a pretty good roster in place, will be getting an extra first-round pick when you consider that last year's first-rounder, Jonathan Cooper, will return from injury in 2014, and they don't have a worthy No. 2 behind Carson Palmer, who will turn 35 during the 2014 season. Carr is my fourth-ranked QB, and I can certainly see some other options here, including wide receiver, or right tackle.

PLAYER CARD

Ryan Shazier

Green Bay Packers (8-7-1)

COLLEGE: Ohio State

HT: 6-1

WT: 237

Analysis: While Mosley would also be a good fit here, with him off the board the Packers nab a similarly special linebacker in Shazier. This is a player with great instincts and range, an ability to attack the backfield and chase down plays across the field. He's also going to cover underneath and stay on the field. Watch Ohio State tape over the past two seasons, and you'll see Shazier consistently playing faster than everyone else. He'll line up next to A.J. Hawk and solidify a need spot for the Packers.

PLAYER CARD

Kelvin Benjamin

Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)

COLLEGE: Florida State

WT: 240

Analysis: I consider Benjamin a bit of a project, with his route running and consistency in need of development, but I can think of worse ideas than giving Chip Kelly the developmental keys to a player who stands a full 6-5 and at 240 pounds runs like guys 30 pounds lighter. The Eagles have Jeremy Maclin coming off a serious knee injury, and Riley Cooper remains, but minus DeSean Jackson they could use another matchup threat, and where it was speed for Jackson, it's size for Benjamin. Sometimes, there's not much you can do with him.

PLAYER CARD

Marqise Lee

Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)

COLLEGE: USC

WT: 192

Analysis: The Chiefs are a team I could see moving down, particularly since wide receiver is a need area. The Chiefs don't have their second-round pick due to the Alex Smith trade, and it's a deep draft at receiver. However, in this case I think they'd be walking away with a pretty nice fit in Lee, a player with the route-running and run-after-catch ability that could make him a great fit in this offense.

PLAYER CARD

Bradley Roby

Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)

COLLEGE: Ohio State

WT: 194

Analysis: We mentioned this on the First Draft podcast this week in breaking down the Bengals, but they're quietly pretty old in the secondary, with Terence Newman and Adam Jones both north of 30, and Leon Hall also close and coming off another injury-riddled season. In other words, corner could be a problem in a hurry in Cincy, and certainly the decision-makers there can see it and may not be content with just one cornerback from this draft. Roby can be a special player, with elite speed and change-of-direction quickness, he'll just need to clean up his fundamentals and avoid playing too physical.

PLAYER CARD

Anthony Barr

San Diego Chargers (9-7)

COLLEGE: UCLA

WT: 255

Analysis: I also see cornerback as a possibility here, but the Chargers need another pass-rusher and Barr fits the scheme and offers the upside of a guy I once saw as a likely top-10 pick. Barr has dropped on my board and others because his senior tape didn't live up to the production, and I think he can often be too tentative in his reads and reactions. But we're still talking about a player who has shown the ability to disrupt in the passing game and his workouts didn't really disappoint, either. He's a good value here.

PLAYER CARD

Kyle Fuller

Cleveland Browns (4-12)

COLLEGE: Virginia Tech

WT: 190

Analysis: Depending on which game you're watching, you could walk away thinking Fuller is as good as or better than any cornerback in this draft, and the Browns can take him expecting a player who will contribute early at a position where they lack enough depth behind Joe Haden. Fuller has good size at 6 feet tall, and not only plays fast, but gets off the ground well to challenge high-point throws against taller pass-catchers. If Cleveland goes another route at No. 4, this is obviously a slot where the Browns could go with a QB.

PLAYER CARD

Cody Latimer

New Orleans Saints (11-5)

COLLEGE: Indiana

WT: 215

Analysis: No player has risen faster on my board recently, and I'm not alone. I'll give McShay credit -- he was raving about Latimer after he got to take a closer look at Indiana tape. Latimer was a player I saw as a likelier second-day pick based on my earlier work on him, but he's always looked good in the size/speed equation, it's just that a closer look shows you a player who was extremely reliable as a pass-catcher. The Saints need depth at wide receiver after losing one of Drew Brees' favorite targets in Lance Moore, not to mention the departure of Darren Sproles in a pass-catching sense.

PLAYER CARD

Morgan Moses

Carolina Panthers (12-4)

COLLEGE: Virginia

HT: 6-6

WT: 314

Analysis: The additions of Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant aren't tantamount to a "fix" at wide receiver, and I could certainly see the Panthers going that direction. But if there's a run at the position as you have here, this may be a better place to take a possible starter at tackle, which is a pretty big deal considering they need a pair of them. Cam Newton's ability to run shouldn't be confused with a lack of need to even create a decent pocket, and I think that's a question mark. Carolina could also look at cornerback here, so the Panthers may just look for the best player available among a few positions where the need is pressing.

PLAYER CARD

Ra'Shede Hageman

New England Patriots (12-4)

COLLEGE: Minnesota

WT: 310

POS: DT

Analysis: The Patriots know their personnel and developmental plans better than I do, I have no doubts, but we both know the age of their best interior linemen is a concern, with Vince Wilfork 32 years old and Tommy Kelly 33. Hageman is the kind of player this coaching staff could turn into something special, and working in rotation this season he could provide some immediate impact as well. He has surprising athletic ability for a player of his size, with great initial quickness which can jolt blockers and disrupt plays from the inside. He also has a long frame and an impressive vertical and will disrupt passing lanes.

PLAYER CARD

Jordan Matthews

San Francisco 49ers (12-4)

COLLEGE: Vanderbilt

HT: 6-3

WT: 212

Analysis: The return of Anquan Boldin isn't enough for me to consider the wide receiver depth chart in San Francisco complete, and an experienced, projectable, reliable pass-catcher with underrated explosiveness both before and after the catch could provide some early impact for the 49ers. Matthews had been maligned for his lack of top-end speed, but his senior tape combined with a 4.46 40-time in Indy tells a different story, and it's hard to get past the fact that everyone knew Vandy wanted to get Matthews the ball, and nobody could keep him covered -- even in the SEC.

PLAYER CARD

Jason Verrett

Denver Broncos (13-3)

COLLEGE: TCU

HT: 5-9

WT: 189

Analysis: Even with the addition of Aqib Talib, Denver needs to add depth in the secondary, and while you like to simply take the best player on the board with a sense of a reasonably early role when looking in Round 1, I think this fits both a need and Denver's timeline. The Broncos know the Peyton Manning window, and targeting clear needs should be a little more of a conversation. Verrett is a capable corner who can make it look easy in coverage, and will also look for the big hit. He gives Denver needed depth. (You can't have enough corners, especially when you expect to play with the lead often.)

PLAYER CARD

Stephon Tuitt

Seattle Seahawks (13-3)

COLLEGE: Notre Dame

WT: 304

POS: DE

Analysis: Seattle lost a little depth on the defensive interior, and I like the idea of Tuitt landing here not just because I think Pete Carroll and staff can maximize what I consider a significant level of talent, but because this is a team that can maximize players that aren't exactly a round peg in the traditional round holes we associate with classic schemes. Tuitt's the kind of defensive lineman who could work inside, or be a big body at defensive end, drive a tackle backward with a bull rush or help to create a formidable run-stopping front that frees up the linebackers to make plays. Seattle tends to surprise me, but this pick makes sense.

PLAYER CARD

Round 2

33. Houston Texans | *Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Let me be clear: This is the top-rated quarterback on my Big Board, a player I have rated higher than Bortles, Manziel or Carr. (It's very close on the top three, however.) But my reading of the tea leaves in speaking with many evaluators around the league is that Bridgewater could drop if he slides past a couple of points early on. If I could project trades, I'd have someone taking him later in Round 1 having moved up. Obviously, he's a steal at this point.

34. Washington Redskins | Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
Tackling was a huge problem for the Redskins last year, and adding one of the most consistent tacklers in the draft at a position of need makes sense here. I could see Borland in Round 1, too. He's currently among my top 25 players in the draft.

35. Cleveland Browns | *Davante Adams, WR, Fresno St.
At this stage the Browns have already drafted a QB and a CB, both positions of need, and here they take advantage of the great depth at wide receiver and get a player like Adams who could become a very good No. 2 behind Josh Gordon.

36. Oakland Raiders | *Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.
If Jernigan had a better reaction time off the snap he'd go higher, and in terms of his ceiling he's a really good value at this stage. The Raiders have needs everywhere, and a strong interior lineman here fills one.

37. Atlanta Falcons | Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
The Falcons lack a pass-rusher defenses fear, and while Ford is merely adequate against the run, he's a major menace as a speed rusher, and gives Atlanta a needed new look there.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi St.
When he's healthy, the Bucs have one really good guard in Carl Nicks. But they don't have another good one, and Nicks' health can't be assumed. Jackson is a good one.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars | Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
The Jags don't reach for a QB at No. 3 and then get a potential starter at this point. Garoppolo isn't an immediate starter for a team that wants to take the step the Jags do, but he can get there and be the answer.

40. Minnesota Vikings | Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
One of my favorite players in the draft, the instinctive and explosive linebacker goes to a team that needs to add at least one in the draft.

41. Buffalo Bills | *Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise St.
The pass rush is a sneaky need for the Bills, because while they have Mario Williams, they're thin on the edge if he's out. Lawrence gives them a much-needed piece to build a deeper rotation. He can have impact.

42. Tennessee Titans | Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
Jake Locker is not only going into the final year of his rookie deal, he does so under a new head coach. Ken Whisenhunt may want to have a QB of his own choosing to develop, and Mettenberger's limited mobility is balanced by the best arm strength in the draft, and a quick recovery from his torn ACL has pushed him back into this range. If you saw Mettenberger at his best in 2013, you'd never assume this was too high for him to go in the 2014 NFL draft.

43. New York Giants | *Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
That Justin Pugh played well down the stretch and worked out at tackle is good, but there's still a need for more talent at guard, and Su'a-Filo is as good as any in the draft on most days.

44. St. Louis Rams | Jimmie Ward, S, No. Illinois
Ward can be special in coverage and fills a need for the Rams, as he can pair with the now healthy T.J. McDonald to shore up the back end of that defense.

45. Detroit Lions | Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
The Lions get the top safety in the draft in Round 1 and then get the needed addition at corner in Round 2. Jean-Baptiste has safety size.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers | *Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
Nix is more talented than his 2013 tape showed, and working with Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh's system could turn him into a steal at this point. He has rare size and just needs to learn how to utilize his strengths more consistently.

47. Dallas Cowboys | Deone Bucannon, S, Washington St.
The Cowboys' current depth chart has J.J. Wilcox and Barry Church as starters at safety, and the experienced Bucannon, one of the biggest hitters in the draft, is a player who can get on the field early.

48. Baltimore Ravens | *Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
I had Ellington rated too low for much of the season. After taking a closer look I've moved him up, and my sense is many teams feel the same way. Steve Smith's arrival doesn't mean the Ravens don't consider this a depth chart need.

49. New York Jets | *Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
The Jets get the wide receiver they need in Round 1, and double down with pass-catchers in Round 2 in adding ASJ. He's something of an unrealized talent (at least for me) and could allow the Jets to utilize some new looks. He's a big target.

50. Miami Dolphins | Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada
Bitonio can play either guard or tackle, and could end up at right tackle or be moved inside, where the Dolphins could really use the help. He'll play right away.

51. Chicago Bears | Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida St.
Both Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman are over 30, and Joyner has added value for the Bears because he can also play safety. The Bears need help everywhere you look on the back end of the defense, and Joyner is a playmaker.

52. Arizona Cardinals | Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
They get a QB to put behind Palmer in Round 1, and add some needed help and depth at outside linebacker in Round 2. Attaochu can really close when he gets the edge as a pass-rusher.

53. Green Bay Packers | *Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
The Packers have seen the departures of James Jones, Jermichael Finley and Greg Jennings over the past 14 months, and could use another pass-catching weapon lest they try too hard to prove Aaron Rodgers can make anyone look good. This upgrades the talent level at tight end, though Amaro will typically be split out.

54. Philadelphia Eagles | Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
If Attaochu was available here, I could see that fit, but the pass-rushing help beyond him sees a value drop-off at this slot and Philly instead adds some length and depth at corner with the intriguing small-college star.

55. Cincinnati Bengals | *Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Health questions and consistency issues during his junior season caused Kouandjio's stock to take a hit, and in some ways it's hard for me to fathom him this low knowing what he can be if it all comes together, but Cincinnati once bet big on another Bama tackle and Andre Smith has worked out. Kouandjio in this range is a total value play and is worth a shot.

56. San Francisco 49ers (from KC) | Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
If the fit is there, I could see the 49ers going with a corner in Round 1, but athletes at Gaines' level qualify as a good value at this stage. At this point the 49ers have needed help at WR and CB.

57. San Diego Chargers | *Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
With the measurables of a player typically drafted much higher, Moncrief is one of the best size/speed equations in the draft, but he was inconsistent in 2013 and lands here. San Diego isn't set at WR just because Keenan Allen had a good year. The Chargers are thin behind him.

58. New Orleans Saints | Keith McGill, CB, Utah
After getting a WR in Round 1, the Saints add depth and size at cornerback, where they're currently set to ask a lot of Keenan Lewis and the soon-to-be 36-year-old Champ Bailey.

59. Indianapolis Colts | *Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
Landry isn't a burner, but he has some of the best hands in the draft and will make plays in traffic. The Colts gave away their first-rounder and need this pick to work out.

60. Carolina Panthers | Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
They got the tackle they needed in Round 1 and now take advantage of the WR depth in Round 2. Huff doesn't blow you away in workouts, but when it's time to compete in pads he consistently makes plays and competes for catches.

61. San Francisco 49ers | *Marcus Martin, C, USC
The 49ers have a clear need at center, and Martin should capably fill the hole. He's an impressive athlete among peers even at a position where some athleticism is assumed.

62. New England Patriots | Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio St.
New England isn't devoid of explosiveness at running back, and it's never really considered a "need" position in the draft, but getting the best one in the entire draft at the end of Round 2 isn't much of a stretch, just as it wasn't last year when Giovani Bernard and Eddie Lacy were among the good values. If either of the two tight ends taken earlier is available here, I can see it.

63. Denver Broncos | *David Yankey, OG, Stanford
Yankey moves really well and fills a need for the Broncos after the departure of Zane Beadles. Again, you're more inclined to hit needs when the window is smaller.

64. Seattle Seahawks | Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
Michael Bowie actually wasn't too bad for the Seahawks at right tackle last season, but could end up inside, and I think James can play the position reliably early in his career.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Disgusting. Barr is going to fall to 25?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
lol wtf

D

Deuce

It's not even that I hate our two picks...but Bridgewater to the 2nd round? lawl

Carp

DCC 4Life
If we pass on Barr for Martin it would be a huge miss. I'd rather have Jernigan, Pryor, Bridgewater...Kiper saying the 16 is too rich for Barr is ridiculous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not even that I hate our two picks...but Bridgewater to the 2nd round? lawl
He is not the only source that claims Bridgewater could go in the late 1st/early 2nd.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He is not the only source that claims Bridgewater could go in the late 1st/early 2nd.
I don't understand the way this league views QBs on any given year. Bridgewater, who actually does have some talent and upside is now being looked at as a 2nd round talent? But teams will take guys like Christian Ponder high in the first, or even TRADE UP in the first to take Tebow.

Cats and dogs are living together.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Bridgewater has been having poor workouts reportedly...not sure what the deal is. I do like Carr though and can certainly see him leapfrog Bridgewater.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bridgewater has been having poor workouts reportedly...not sure what the deal is. I do like Carr though and can certainly see him leapfrog Bridgewater.
I think it is all part of teams getting stupid. No games have been played and now he just sucks and some dork like Tom Savage is almost as good? It is crazy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't understand the way this league views QBs on any given year. Bridgewater, who actually does have some talent and upside is now being looked at as a 2nd round talent? But teams will take guys like Christian Ponder high in the first, or even TRADE UP in the first to take Tebow.

Cats and dogs are living together.
Brandon Weeden went in the first for chrissakes.

Top Bottom