Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys are still the most popular TV show

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones: No playoffs in several years, but the Dallas Cowboys are still the most popular TV show
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
10:45 am on April 9, 2014

During a Sunday press conference, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones helped announce that AT&T Stadium will be hosting the 50th annual Academy of Country Music awards next April.

Being the remarkable salesman that Jones is, he used the Cowboys as an example of the TV success the NFL has had.

That included mentioning the Cowboys’ incredible TV popularity despite any postseason success on the field.

“As you know, the Cowboys have not gone to the playoffs in several years,” Jones said. “We have not gone, yet we’re the most popular TV show there is on television. We lead all teams in TV ratings. We lead, 24 of the last top 25 shows were NFL games, and any time your Cowboys play they’re up there at the top and leading. Now, what causes that? What causes that is creating some aura, creating some excitement. We want to use that as best we can to make this award show the greatest ever.”

Here’s a 12-minute clip of Jones speaking with the media. Jones’ comment about TV ratings comes around the 9:30 mark.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/jerry-jones-no-playoffs-in-several-years-but-the-dallas-cowboys-are-still-the-most-popular-tv-show.html/

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I really fucking hate that man.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:lol

I have a feeling that gif will end up in our smileys collection.
Might as well get it easy to access, I have a feeling it's gonna be used alot come draft day

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I honestly have never heard an Owner of a professional sports to brag about his team's TV ratings as if ratings make up for the fact that the on field/court product is sub standard.

"Our team is not very good but we lead the league in ratings" ~sticks out chest~

Really?

I mean, I guess I can understand why he's fine with it. Obviously it means his team is popular which obviously leads to more revenue for him. But jeez, as a competitor no way in hell would I rest my laurels on my team's TV ratings.

I have no doubt that Jerry wants to win. Problem is he doesn't need to win and that's what will continue to hold the Cowboys back.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
After the "would you get embarrassed if you were standing in this stadium" comment is anyone truly surprised by this?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
After the "would you get embarrassed if you were standing in this stadium" comment is anyone truly surprised by this?
No surprise on my part. Only the true homers still have their heads in the sand at this point.

Cotton

Staff member
I honestly have never heard an Owner of a professional sports to brag about his team's TV ratings as if ratings make up for the fact that the on field/court product is sub standard.

"Our team is not very good but we lead the league in ratings" ~sticks out chest~

Really?

I mean, I guess I can understand why he's fine with it. Obviously it means his team is popular which obviously leads to more revenue for him. But jeez, as a competitor no way in hell would I rest my laurels on my team's TV ratings.

I have no doubt that Jerry wants to win. Problem is he doesn't need to win and that's what will continue to hold the Cowboys back.
Yep.

That's why it imperative to not buy the product. Because the only way to affect real change is for it to be important to Jerry to win to remain relevant. There is no other way. As long as Jerry entertains and is relevant and is the "best show on TV" he feels like he is doing it right regardless of his team's record.

Cotton

Staff member
That was the one comment that I thought would push the ones still buying the product over the fence. Doesn't seem to have happened yet. I guess it will take another 3 year stretch of 5-11 records to exact that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Douche. Why not just say "Here in Dallas, we promote flash over substance!"? He's actually admitting that creating "excitement" is a huge annual priority and any actual winning is secondary.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That was the one comment that I thought would push the ones still buying the product over the fence. Doesn't seem to have happened yet. I guess it will take another 3 year stretch of 5-11 records to exact that.
Now that he has his deathstar I'm not sure even that would get him to change

Cotton

Staff member
Now that he has his deathstar I'm not sure even that would get him to change
Granted he gains a lot of his revenue from non-Cowboys events, but he also gets a ton of his money from Cowboys games and Cowboys merhcandise. If people stopped showing up and buying shit it would hurt, and he would either change how he is doing things (even if it is just rolling over the coaching staff) or he would make way less money than he did just "entertaining". Now, what has beaten me down from "preaching the message" is the countless fans that will fill the seats, regardless. I have seen a slight shift in that paradigm, but the stands are still full every game, so that shift obviously isn't as great as would be believed.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
A Perfect 10 From Jerrah
April 10, 2014 10:20 AM

The NFL is better with Jerry Jones in it. But when he eventually leaves this world, we have the perfect epitaph for his tombstone. Take it away, Mr. Jones. “The Cowboys have not gone to the playoffs in several years… Yet we’re the most popular TV show there is on television.”
That’s a perfect 10. That’s a 19-0 season. Or better yet, Jer… That’s a 30 point TV rating.
And it’s also an answer for Cowboys fans who want to know why Jerrah won’t fix this team. Because it’s not broken. What’s to fix? Did you not hear the man? He said he has the most popular show on television. If anything needs fixing it’s the fans’ attitudes.
This man has given you a billion dollar stadium, the world’s largest flat screen, a Victoria’s Secret Store and a flaming carnival every single year. What do you want from him… 9 wins? That would mean Mr. Jones would have to change something. Sure Philadelphia went 10-6 and won the division last year. But how’d they do in the 18-49 demos? Scoreboard.
Mr. Jones says the secret to his success isn’t putting a winning product on the field; it’s putting on a show. “What causes that is creating some aura, creating some excitement.”
And nothing’s more exciting than the annual tragedy that is America’s team and their 71 year old Carnival Barker crowing about it. America’s Team isn’t competing with the Redskins and Eagles… They’re battling with The Walking Dead and NCIS.
HOW ‘BOUT THEM NIELSEN RATINGS!! WOOO!!!!

http://jimrome.com/2014/04/10/a-perfect-10-from-jerrah/

Damnit I thought Jerry was older than 71 for some reason. My Grandmother just turned 89, we could be in for another 20 years of Jerry :budd

Top Bottom