Cowboys could be a wild-card for Jared Allen...Signs With Bears

Carp

DCC 4Life
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT

Free-agent Jared Allen is looking for a “fair contract” and a “chance to win.”

And yet he still could be interested in the Cowboys.

As Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported earlier on Sunday, Allen did indeed visit the Seahawks on Sunday. Rapoport also pointed out that Allen could make another visit this week.

A source with knowledge of Allen’s visit to Seattle suggests that the next team Allen visits could be the Cowboys.

Dallas definitely has a need. With DeMarcus Ware gone and Anthony Spencer a free agent, the Cowboys have added Jeremy Mincey from the Broncos.

The Bears previously have been identified as a team with interest in Allen. Chicago has cut Julius Peppers, but has signed LaMarr Houston.

Allen, who made $73 million in six years with the Vikings, could be in no rush to sign. Last year, John Abraham joined the Cardinals in July.

During two seasons playing with Brett Favre, Allen may have learned the value of showing up in the middle of August.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd like it a lot, but I can't see it.

He's got a high price tag in mind and we're not in a position to afford that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure...you see the money he has made and might not be looking for dollars. He seems like a guy Jerry could sell the Cowboys on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not sure...you see the money he has made and might not be looking for dollars. He seems like a guy Jerry could sell the Cowboys on.
If he isn't looking for money, then wouldn't he sign with the defending SB champions?

Regardless, this reporter out of Minnesota is saying he's got a visit lined up with us:

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just click on the Twitter thing right next to the spoiler tag.

Thanks Admin Guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just click on the Twitter thing right next to the spoiler tag.

Thanks Admin Guy.
:lol

I knew that much, but I had to figure out which part of the embed went between the tags. Just quoted someone else's post with a tweet in it and figured it out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd really love it if we could afford it but I can't really see how we can sign both him and Melton.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT

Free-agent Jared Allen is looking for a “fair contract” and a “chance to win."
So why would he want to play here? We can't offer him either of those. Unless he wants to win as many games as he loses.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Watkins: Jared Allen scheduled to meet the Cowboys

Watkins: Jared Allen scheduled to meet the Cowboys

Jared Allen scheduled to meet the Cowboys

March, 16, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is reporting free agent defensive end Jared Allen has completed a visit with the Seattle Seahawks and is scheduled to meet with Dallas Cowboyscoaches on Tuesday with the hope of deciding his future at some point this week according to league sources.

Allen, 31, has a charity event for his foundation in Minnesota on Monday and is scheduled to fly to Dallas later that evening.

The Cowboys' interest in Allen was heightened when DeMarcus Ware signed with the Denver Broncos the day after being released. Until Ware became a free agent, it seemed the Broncos would pursue Allen to play opposite pass-rusher Von Miller.

Now the Cowboys view him as a potential replacement for Ware.

The Cowboys have lost two starters from their 2013 defensive line in Ware and Jason Hatcher, who signed a four-year deal with the rival Washington Redskins last week.

After the Cowboys lost Ware and Hatcher the interest increased not only in Allen but Julius Peppers as well. Peppers signed a three-year deal with the Green Bay Packers on Friday without visiting the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are trying to upgrade a defense that finished last in total defense in 2013 in allowing 6,645 yards.

Last season, Allen led the Minnesota Vikings with 11.5 sacks and was second on the team with six tackles for loss and he also picked up six pass breakups.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd really love it if we could afford it but I can't really see how we can sign both him and Melton.
Melton and Allen would give me wood, but I don't think it's possible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I haven't kept up with Allen the last couple of years. Is he still an effective pass rusher?

Rayman

Brand New Member
About as effective as Ware.

My question is how is he any cheaper?
I think he had 11.5 sacks last year. Still pretty good and hasn't had the injury bug that Ware has.

As for the money I'm sure we would have kept Ware if we could have had him for 3 years at 30 with only 20 guaranteed. Wasn't his cap figure over 16 mil for us?

It wouldn't shock me if I'm way off though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
About as effective as Ware.

My question is how is he any cheaper?
He actually has been a more effective pass rusher the last two years, is a proven NFL DE and is stronger against the run. If he is within our price range he is an upgrade over Ware in this defense.

Price is going to be a huge deciding factor on that one. Not sure we have enough to get Allen and Melton.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He actually has been a more effective pass rusher the last two years, is a proven NFL DE and is stronger against the run. If he is within our price range he is an upgrade over Ware in this defense.
And healthier.

I'd view Allen as an upgrade over Ware at this point.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Allen is a dream player for Marinelli...high motor and productive. As an aside...if Marinelli wanted Ware here he would be here. I just don't think he was his kind of player. He just did not seem like a guy who wanted a in your face DC.

Top Bottom