George: Cowboys have serious interest in Chicago Bears free agent DT Henry Melton

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys have serious interest in Chicago Bears free agent DT Henry Melton

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
8:45 am on March 12, 2014

The Dallas Cowboys have serious interest in Chicago Bears unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Henry Melton.

Melton is lining up his free agent visits, and the Cowboys will likely be one of his stops. He won’t have to travel far to Valley Ranch, however. Melton was born in DeSoto and played high school football in Grapevine and college football at Texas.

The Cowboys have to rebuild their entire defensive line after releasing end DeMarcus Ware on Tuesday. Melton seems like a logical choice if the Cowboys can get him at the right price. He could step right in and start at the crucial 3-technique defensive tackle spot in Marinelli’s 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. Melton has the speed that Marinelli and Monte Kiffin desires in a 3-technique defensive tackle. He played some running back at the University of Texas and ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the Longhorns’ pro day.

Melton played his first three seasons in Chicago for Rod Marinelli, now the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator. Melton, 27, reached the Pro Bowl in 2012 under Marinelli, recording 44 tackles and six sacks for the Bears. Melton had seven sacks in 2011 under Marinelli.

Last season, with Marinelli coaching the Cowboys’ defensive line, Melton played in only three games for the Bears before tearing his left anterior cruciate ligament. Melton, who is coming off of left ACL surgery, played last season for Chicago as the Bears’ franchised player at $8.5 million.

Melton was arrested for a DWI before the Longhorns’ 2007 season. And on Dec. 22 of last year, Melton was arrested for public intoxication and assault because of an incident at a downtown Grapevine bar.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
this is my wet dream , but if we get melton and then draft aaron donald..... oh man i wont have clean socks for like a year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems to me the organization would be equally happy with Hatcher or Melton and will simply play them off each other, hoping to get the cheaper one to sign.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
this is my wet dream , but if we get melton and then draft aaron donald..... oh man i wont have clean socks for like a year
Gross.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It seems to me the organization would be equally happy with Hatcher or Melton and will simply play them off each other, hoping to get the cheaper one to sign.
That would be smart.

That doesn't sound like us at all.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Melton would be a great addition, but it would definitely put us out of the race for Donald, but I wouldn't mind signing Melton and drafting Dee Ford.

D

Deuce

I don't even think we're in the race for Donald. Chicago letting Melton walk and signing Ratliff to a small deal is a pretty big indicator that they'll grab him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And we're not pursuing a pass rushing DE in free agency, so maybe I'm not so far off thinking we'll take one in the draft. I just hope we stay way the hell away from Spencer.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't even think we're in the race for Donald. Chicago letting Melton walk and signing Ratliff to a small deal is a pretty big indicator that they'll grab him.
I don't think that's a given, but if it is, I'm perfectly fine with an OT there, or a trade down.

D

Deuce

And we're not pursuing a pass rushing DE in free agency, so maybe I'm not so far off thinking we'll take one in the draft. I just hope we stay way the hell away from Spencer.
My guess is our lack of pursuit in FA is because the market is crazy. There isn't any bargains.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I actually wouldn't mind bringing back Spencer on a 1 year deal, but the problem as so many have pointed out is that we'd likely view that as a hole plugged instead of low-risk, potential reward type of move.

Hatcher is the one I truly want no part of because of he would only come here on a multi year deal and that's not what we should be giving a 32 year old, one year wonder.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys interested in Seattle DT Tony McDaniel

By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
3:18 pm on March 12, 2014 |

The Cowboys are in the market for defensive linemen.

The latest one they have expressed interest in is Seattle tackle Tony McDaniel, according to a league source.

McDaniel, 29, became a full-fledged starter for the first time in his career last season during the Seahawks’ Super Bowl run. He recorded two sacks and 53 tackles, earning plaudits for his work in run defense.

McDaniel signed with Seattle as a free agent in 2013 after spending the previous four seasons in Miami as a reserve.

If McDaniel leaves the Seahawks, they could replace him with Cowboys free agent defensive tackle Jason Hatcher. Hatcher dropped by Seattle’s headquarters on Tuesday and is in Oakland Wednesday visiting with the Raiders, according to a source. For five straight days, he has meetings scheduled with teams, including Tennessee.

As with Hatcher, free agent Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton of Grapevine has been drawing considerable interest. The Cowboys are eyeing him. But the Vikings are actually sitting down with Melton on Wednesday.

Stay tuned as news trickles out of Valley Ranch and beyond.
---------------------

Interesting Melton is going to Minny to visit. Might not even start there with both Floyd and Linval Joseph on board.

dallas0593

Brand New Member
at least it took "4 or more" men to remove him from the bar, sounds like a strong sob. The rest of the stuff, whatever, at this point I really don't care, just give me people who can play football.

Top Bottom