Archer: Sean Lee now the face of Cowboys D

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sean Lee now the face of Cowboys D

March, 12, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Two weeks ago Sean Lee was cleared by team doctors for full offseason football activities following the neck injury that knocked him out of most of the final four games in 2013.

That’s a good thing because with the release of DeMarcus Ware on Tuesday, Lee will have to bear the weight of being the face of the Cowboys defense.

From just about the day Ware arrived in 2005 as a first-round pick through 2012, he was the Cowboys' best player on offense or defense. He could do -- and probably will show people this year he still can do -- anything he wanted.

His 117 career sacks are a franchise record. He came up a half-sack short in 2011 of becoming the first player in NFL history with two 20-sack seasons. If anything the Cowboys are choosing to cut ties with a player a year too early as opposed to a year too late with Ware.

It is their right and their salary-cap woes made the decision even easier.

But now Lee will be the face of the defense.

The Cowboys signed him to a six-year extension worth $42 million last summer that could accelerate to $51 million if he can stay healthy.

Those five words shadow Lee the way Ware shadowed quarterbacks. He missed five games in 2013 with hamstring and neck injuries. He missed 10 games in 2012 with a serious toe injury. He missed one game in 2011 with a dislocated wrist but played the bulk of the season with it wrapped up like a club. He missed two games as a rookie in 2010.

Lee is everything Jason Garrett wants in a player. He is tough, accountable, unselfish and talented. He knows the score. He knows he has to stay on the field for the Cowboys to have a chance to make the playoffs.

He can change games like Ware can, just in different ways. He has 11 interceptions in his career, two returned for touchdowns. He is a tackling machine. He is the brains of a defense. He can make sure other defenders are lined up in the correct spot. He can cover up their mistakes, too.

Ware could (can?) change games with his burst off the line of scrimmage and by pressuring the quarterback. He could (can?) do things athletically men his size should not be able to do. He was (is?) the perfect combination of speed and power.

For nine seasons with the Cowboys, nobody did it better than Ware. He helped Greg Ellis,Anthony Spencer, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher reach the Pro Bowl because he drew so much attention from offenses.

Tuesday marked the end of an era with the release of Ware and the beginning of another in a way with Lee.

D

Deuce

Who's going to be the face during the 10 games he misses with injury every year?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Whether anyone likes it or not, Tony Romo is the face of the Dallas Cowboys. Other than Jones, Romo is by far the subject matter of the majority of the media stories.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Whether anyone likes it or not, Tony Romo is the face of the Dallas Cowboys. Other than Jones, Romo is by far the subject matter of the majority of the media stories.
Sean Lee now the face of Cowboys D

D. As in defense.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The face of the Cowboys D is the kid from The Sixth Sense.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I thought last year that Lee should play OLB in this defense and I still think so. The one-gap nature of the line doesn't protect the MLB as much as 4-3 defenses that take the 2-fat-guys-in-the-middle approach, and I think Carter would be a better MLB than OLB.

D

Deuce

I thought last year that Lee should play OLB in this defense and I still think so. The one-gap nature of the line doesn't protect the MLB as much as 4-3 defenses that take the 2-fat-guys-in-the-middle approach, and I think Carter would be a better MLB than OLB.
Carter was completely exposed in pass defense last year. I can't imagine him being asked to cover the deep middle.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Carter was completely exposed in pass defense last year. I can't imagine him being asked to cover the deep middle.
Dropping into a zone and man coverage on a back are totally different things. In my opinion the former is a lot simpler, even Bobby Carpenter could do that.

Top Bottom