Machota: Cowboys haven't heard back from Free about pay cut

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys haven't heard back from Free about pay cut

JON MACHOTA |

Published: Saturday, April 27, 2013

IRVING, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys have asked right tackle Doug Free to take a pay cut. But since making that request, the team’s front office hasn’t heard back from Free or his agent.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday night that Free’s status with the club is “to be determined.”

After starting every game over the last three seasons, there’s a chance that the 29-year-old could be playing for a different team during the 2013 season.

“I have no idea,” Jones said. “We want him. We’d love to have him here. I think he’d love to be here. The question is it’s got to work for him and it’s got to work for us. I have all the respect in the world for Doug. He’s a guy that works his [butt] off. I think he wants to play better than he played. I think he’d be the first to tell you that. I think he played better toward the end [of the season].”

Jones said the Cowboys aren’t concerned at the present time but added that “it’s got to be resolved at some point.” The Cowboys didn’t use one of their first four draft choices on a tackle so it’s likely that if Free isn’t willing to restructure, the franchise could sign a free agent like Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo.

“We’ve got a little bit of money to figure out what to do with Free,” Jones said, “and you don’t have to worry about us in free agency.”
Free, who had a disappointing 2012 season, leading the team in penalties with eight false starts and seven offensive holdings, is among the highest-paid tackles in the league. He’s due $7 million in 2013 and $8 million in each of the next three seasons.

Although it seems unlikely, if Free remains in Dallas, he could be moved to one of the guard positions.

“It’s not totally out of the question,” Jones said. “It’s been talked about.”

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Perfect time to say "We'll take that as a no" and cut his ass. Sounds like they're legitimately interested in Clabo and Winston but moreso Clabo. I think signing him is almost imminent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Perfect time to say "We'll take that as a no" and cut his ass. Sounds like they're legitimately interested in Clabo and Winston but moreso Clabo. I think signing him is almost imminent.
Yep. Management needs to pull the trigger if for no other reason than settling the team before training camp.

p1_

DCC 4Life
send him his locker contents and call it a day...

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Yep, I agree. Fuck him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We should have already called Tyson Clabo. Don't know what the issue is besides lunacy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We should have already called Tyson Clabo. Don't know what the issue is besides lunacy.
The issue is we can't cut him and simply sign Clabo. The bad contract he signed has basically screwed us.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought we could.
Well, we have to sign our draftees. And, the money from Free wouldn't be available until after June 1. It would be dumb to cut him now and lose even more money against the cap.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, we have to sign our draftees. And, the money from Free wouldn't be available until after June 1. It would be dumb to cut him now and lose even more money against the cap.
You just peed on my post toasties.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It was my understanding we have something like $5m now, and the Free money would kick in after June 1 freeing up another $5 m, or something.

Obviously we need $5m for the rookies, but since we won't be signing them till after June 1 (usually on the eve of training camp), we could sign Clabo with the 5m we have now, cut Free, and then once his funds become available use them to sign the rookies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Correct. Plus we get Spears' money after June 1, which should be enough money or close to it to sign the draft picks.

I don't think there's a cap-related reason we can't sign Clabo or Winston.

Honestly I think Jerry doesn't want to cut Free because he doesn't want to be wrong about him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Correct. Plus we get Spears' money after June 1, which should be enough money or close to it to sign the draft picks.

I don't think there's a cap-related reason we can't sign Clabo or Winston.

Honestly I think Jerry doesn't want to cut Free because he doesn't want to be wrong about him.
Why do you think we avoided drafting an OT? Free isn't getting cut. And neither Winston nor Clabo are going to be signed. We're going to be stuck with Free and his dogshit play for at least another season unless Romo ends up on IR due to a season ending injury caused by Free making a mistake.

Top Bottom