Good riddance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys now under salary cap with release of center Phil Costa

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
2:42 pm on March 7, 2014 |

The Dallas Cowboys agreed to release backup center Phil Costa on Friday, according to a source.

The release of Costa saves the Cowboys $1.5 million and will officially get the Cowboys below the league’s 2014 salary cap of $133 million.

Costa refused to take a pay cut and was set to be released a week ago before the Cowboys began to “re-think” the release once the league announced that the salary cap would be $10 million more this year than in 2013. Ultimately, the Cowboys agreed it was better to part ways with Costa.

More later …
---------------

Why the eff were we "re-thinking" this?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Holy crap, that was spooky. I posted that article at the exact same time Booze did.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Bout damn time

Newt

DCC 4Life
I thought this day would never come.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
WTF was Costa thinking???? That he's going to make more money pushing burgers???

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The worst culprit on that 2011-12 train wreck line finally gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just concerned that this means Dallas isn't going to do shit with Ware before free agency starts.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm just concerned that this means Dallas isn't going to do shit with Ware before free agency starts.
They won't force the issue with him until June sunset. If they do it sooner I will be surprised.

hstour

Brand New Member
Let's be realistic. Costa wasn't a starter level player, but he was ok as a backup. Particularly because he could play both center and guard.

There needs to be a plan to replace that piece. Hopefully through the draft for someone that needs a year to acclimate to the NFL. You'll miss him if Frederick goes down.

That being said, I'm ok with it as long as a replacement backup is found.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Let's be realistic. Costa wasn't a starter level player, but he was ok as a backup. Particularly because he could play both center and guard.

There needs to be a plan to replace that piece. Hopefully through the draft for someone that needs a year to acclimate to the NFL. You'll miss him if Frederick goes down.

That is all nice, but he is not worth $1.5 million and he apparently thinks he is better than he is since turned down any decrease thinking he can "start elsewhere".

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Remember the kick ass game Costa had against the Ravens and made people think he could play?

Good times.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They are under, and thanks to the $10M hike, they could afford not to.

All in all, I don't give a shit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Umm...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Costa was center only, they had a couple options they were looking at in a emergency situation- either move Fred to guard and Costa takes center or Free moves to guard and Parnell takes RT.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Costa was center only, they had a couple options they were looking at in a emergency situation- either move Fred to guard and Costa takes center or Free moves to guard and Parnell takes RT.
And, it's hard to even call him a center. He sucked that bad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly.

He was so incapable of playing guard that we honestly thought about pulling Free inside.

That is not the guy you want getting a million plus as a reserve.

Top Bottom