Machota: ‘Energized’ Jason Witten talks about looking for playoff success in 2014

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
‘Energized’ Jason Witten talks about looking for playoff success in 2014
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:22 am on March 4, 2014 | Permalink

Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten spoke to a large group of students Tuesday morning, wearing bunny slippers as he promoted healthy eating habits.

Witten wasn’t thrilled about the footwear choice. He was being a team player, discussing the importance of starting your day with a healthy breakfast.

After the assembly ended, Witten chatted with reporters for a few minutes, giving his thoughts on what will be his 12th NFL season this fall.

Coming off his ninth Pro Bowl appearance, it’s obvious what motivates the 31-year-old at this stage of his career.

The last four seasons have not included a trip to the playoffs, the previous three ending with losses in the final week with a postseason berth on the line.

Achieving playoff success is what drives the former third-round pick out of Tennessee.

“I feel like you gain something just because there’s such a desire to overcome it,” said Witten, standing on a stage at Blair Elementary in Farmers Branch. “Now it’s to the point where we’ve been there three times in a row and we’ve come up short. It’s so much bigger than that. You don’t just want to make the playoffs, you want to compete in the playoffs.

“I think there’s a core group of guys that literally put it on their shoulders and say, ‘We have to do more.’ I feel like there’s an energy. I’ve been energized. There’s a group of us that have been energized and understand what we have to do. Now you can’t just talk about it, you got to go do it. I understand that urgency and respect that.”

Witten hasn’t missed a game since 2006. He has four 1,000-yard seasons and he caught 110 passes in 2012, a single-season record for tight ends. Only 16 players in NFL history have caught more passes than Witten’s 879.

But turning 32 in May, Witten understands that his opportunities to win a Super Bowl are decreasing. Over the last 11 seasons, the Cowboys have reached the playoffs four times, winning one of five games.

Witten is hoping the Cowboys can add a few more wins to that total this year.

“I am realistic with where I am in my career.” Witten said. “I think that’s what motivates me now more than ever. At this point, literally every day it’s about, ‘How can you do your part to be part of a championship team?’ That’s the legacy I want to have and one I want to be a part of. This franchise has had a lot of it, but for us, we haven’t experienced that.

“It’s been a tough 3-4 years here in the way that we came up short, but it’s got to motivate you to come out on the other end.”

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Witten the reliable hack strikes again. Good times are always right around the corner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Witten: Tony Romo will return better than ever; ‘He understands the urgency’ to win now

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
12:06 pm on March 4, 2014 |

A veteran like Jason Witten has been around the game for over a decade, so he has a pretty good grasp on the business side of football.

The Dallas Cowboys tight end is aware that three consecutive seasons of .500 finishes is not satisfactory around Valley Ranch.

Another season of coming up short of the playoffs has forced Witten to prepare for another new offensive play-caller.

Scott Linehan was hired in January. The former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator is taking over that responsibility, one that was held by Bill Callahan last year and head coach Jason Garrett in 2012.

Witten is also getting a new position coach. Former New York Giants tight end coach Mike Pope was also hired in January, replacing Wes Phillips, who is now with the Washington Redskins.

But Witten didn’t seem to mind the changes when asked about them Tuesday morning. In fact, Witten said he was excited.

“I think any time you bring new people in there’s a buzz that they bring,” Witten said after speaking to students at Blair Elementary in Farmers Branch. “Obviously I’m excited about Pope, a guy that’s just been a tight end guru for a long time.

“Obviously Scott will have some wrinkles for our offense and it will give us a chance to be better. That’s what it’s all about. Jason’s doing all the things he can. We got to do it on Sundays.”

Other changes could include Witten losing a couple of longtime teammates. Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin is likely to be released and defensive end DeMarcus Ware could be cut if the two sides can’t agree on contract adjustments.

“It’s hard obviously because you know what that person’s makeup is all about, what they do and just the success that they’ve had at a high level,” Witten said. “There’s a respect there as a teammate, a brotherhood, but also you understand the business side of it. That’s why you want to cash in on these opportunities because that shared commitment is really what it’s all about. If that opportunity passes you by, you never get another chance at it.”

Witten’s close friend, Tony Romo, restructured his contract on Tuesday, a move that significantly helps the Cowboys get under the $133 million salary cap this season, but also gives Romo a higher cap number in the future.

“It’s all about competing for a championship,” Witten said. “He’s going to do everything that he can. Obviously that’s part of the situation we’re in with the cap, that we have to get under. Hopefully add a couple pieces to our roster that can give us a chance to make that run.”

Making a run without Romo seems unlikely, so his recovery from back surgery will be critical. Romo had a procedure in December to repair a herniated disk. He is expected to be healthy for the start of organized team activities this spring.

“He’s going to come back better than ever,” Witten said. “He understands the urgency [to win now]. Most importantly, he’s working his tail off to give us the best chance to do that. That’s all we can ask at this point, get healthy and come back stronger, so we have a better football team.”
-----------------

Oh look...talking again for his BFF too.

And that line about Romo doing what he can to win by cooperating with the cap...it's total shit. Romo did nothing, our idiot braintrust just offered to pay him salary as a bonus. He did absolutely nothing noble.

Sick of it.

Top Bottom