MacMahon: 6th-rounder Holloman has one season of OLB experience

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
6th-rounder Holloman has one season of OLB experience

April, 27, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Like third-round safety J.J. Wilcox, sixth-round outside linebacker DeVonte Holloman played his position only one season in college.

The transition for Holloman wasn’t quite as drastic as it was for Wilcox, who was a receiver and slot back his first three seasons at Georgia Southern. Holloman moved from strong safety last offseason, bulking up from 230 to 250 pounds to make the position change.

“It was kind of a rushed process,” said Holloman, who has since slimmed down to 243 pounds. “I did it within an offseason and I learned on the fly as I went. As the season progressed, I feel like I got a lot better. I’m comfortable now. I know what the position expects. I know what I need to do at the position.

“I can’t wait to get on the field and prove a lot of people wrong.”

Holloman, who expected to be picked in the third or fourth round, had 57 tackle (eight for losses), three interceptions, two forced fumbles and two sacks in his lone season playing the "Spur" linebacker position for South Carolina.

Holloman was told by Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin that he’ll play strongside outside linebacker. He could have a chance to compete with free-agent signee Justin Durant for the starting job.

Top Bottom