Watkins: Jerry Jones explains why he's not leaving

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones explains why he's not leaving
February, 27, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Several fans and even media members are tired of Jerry Jones being the general manager of the Dallas Cowboys.

You can't take Jones out as owner because, let's be honest, he's one of the best in professional sports.

As a general manager he's had some issues.

Jones won't change the structure of how the Cowboys are run. In an interview with KRLD-FM Dallas/Fort Worth, Jones said when he purchased the team he wanted to follow the Tex Schramm model of a long-term general manager and a long-term coach. That's the reason why he signed Jimmy Johnson to a 10-year contract in 1989.

We all know what happened with that.

"In the last 25 years, the NFL has averaged 4.5 general managers per club," Jones said. "In the last 25 years. they've averaged seven coaches for 32 teams. Sometimes, it's been 30 [teams] or 28 [teams] when I first got involved. Seven coaches and four and half general managers. We've had six coaches. The facts are there is no secret, and by the way the ones that have had a longer time with a GM or less [time with] coaches have always had a [Tom] Brady or a [Troy] Aikman. They've always had that top quarterback during that time."

Jones has a top quarterback now in Tony Romo and has posted just one playoff victory with him running things. With that in mind, Jones blames himself for the problems with the franchise and not so much Romo.

Jones said one of his biggest regrets is not winning a title with Romo but that could change in the next few years, should the Cowboys stop their regressive state.

If anyone believes, Jones is going to give up the GM duties and hand things off to say, Stephen Jones, who currently is the executive vice president in charge of personnel, you're mistaken.

"This isn’t uncommon in the NFL to realize the individual that ultimately makes the decision in acquiring players, not one day, not a single hour since I've owned the Cowboys have I not made the final decision on any player," Jones said. "If you check with the league, not one day since 1989, has anybody been authorized in the league office to call up there and say, 'we've acquire or we want to trade for this player.' The only one is me. I was real clear about that when I got involved."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That last statement was telling and pretty much a lie.

Johnson once pulled off a draft trade with Belichick and Jones was furious.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
J
"This isn’t uncommon in the NFL to realize the individual that ultimately makes the decision in acquiring players, not one day, not a single hour since I've owned the Cowboys have I not made the final decision on any player," Jones said. "If you check with the league, not one day since 1989, has anybody been authorized in the league office to call up there and say, 'we've acquire or we want to trade for this player.' The only one is me. I was real clear about that when I got involved."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That last statement was telling and pretty much a lie.

Johnson once pulled off a draft trade with Belichick and Jones was furious.
The first two sentences were also lies. "Several fans are tired of Jones as owner." Wrong. "But he's one of the best in sports." Wrong.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I wonder how the 4.5 GM's and 7 coaches Avgs. look if you split it in teams with a winning record and teams with a losing record...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I miss classic Donald. Now he's just sucks.
They still make actual Disney cartoons?

I didn't think real cartoons were made anymore. I used to love the old Disney stuff as a kid.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:confused

:shrug

:tippytoe
Well, you have the modern cartoons like the stuff that comes on cartoon network, and then you have Disney, Warner Bros, Thundercats, Transformers, etc.

I didn't think they made the latter types of cartoons anymore and I don't ever see any on Saturday mornings like I used to see back in the 80's.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Well, you have the modern cartoons like the stuff that comes on cartoon network, and then you have Disney, Warner Bros, Thundercats, Transformers, etc.

I didn't think they made the latter types of cartoons anymore and I don't ever see any on Saturday mornings like I used to see back in the 80's.
No, you just see a very tame Donald trying to teach toddlers shit on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Top Bottom