Archer: Jones - Cowboys can compete for Super Bowl

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones: Cowboys can compete for Super Bowl

February, 23, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS – With three straight 8-8 finishes, a team that will need to release players or reconfigure contracts to get under the cap and an aging core with Tony Romo coming off back surgery, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones sees only the good.

“Even though we have cap problems this year,” Jones said, “we have chance to compete for a Super Bowl.”

I trust that you have removed you’re hand from your forehead to continue reading. Near the end of the two-hour session inside his bus on Sunday, I asked Jones how he would define competing for a championship. Is it simply making the playoffs? Something else?

He spoke about a story with 60 Minutes a few years ago and how he rolled through some stop signs on a trip through Little Rock. It’s not that he did not see the signs, but he knew the roads so well that he did not need to come to a complete stop.

“You could probably say that if not seeing the stop signs means denial, then I’m in denial,” Jones said. “The facts are that I see them, but I don’t see them. I know why they are there. I’m talking about the 8-8, but I don’t see them.”

The Cowboys fielded the worst defense in the NFL in 2013 and could lose their leading sacker, Jason Hatcher, to free agency. They could be forced to part ways with the franchise’s all-time leading sacker in DeMarcus Ware.

“I think we’ve got work to do on defense, serious work to do on defense,” Jones said. “I think we’ve got the players and the horses to be a heckuva offense, productive, one of the top offensive teams. I think we are there right now. Right now on offense … We’re going to have to really get on the horse to get is a defense. That’s better than (Seattle’s)? I don’t know. I can’t say that.”

“You could probably say that if not seeing the stop signs means denial, then I’m in denial,” Jones said. “The facts are that I see them, but I don’t see them. I know why they are there. I’m talking about the 8-8, but I don’t see them.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds like he is all in for defense, even if he is a delusional retard otherwise with this stop sign nonsense.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
When we're all rotting in the ground Jerry will be spouting off from his fresh new android body how whatever shitty roster he has currently will compete for a super bowl in the next season. This BS will never end.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When we're all rotting in the ground Jerry will be spouting off from his fresh new android body how whatever shitty roster he has currently will compete for a super bowl in the next season. This BS will never end.
:lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I always pictured him as a disembodied head in a jar running things Futurama style

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The sad part is, his words are actually kinda true. The league is so bad on a year to year basis anymore that it's no stretch that an undertalented team could get hot and make a run.

The other sad part is, there still has to be organizational strengths to lean on while making that run and we don't have any.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah, like a decent head coach.
Fuck you, booze. It's a process. They practice hard, they work hard, they try hard. It's tough to win in this league.

Top Bottom