Hill: Jerry Jones told coaches "don't come in here with same old same old"

D

Deuce

Jerry Jones told coaches "don't come in here with same old same old", demanded they change "O" for Escobar

Even though the Cowboys had a Pro Bowl tight end in Jason Witten, they still drafted San Diego State tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round.

Stop me if you have heard this before.

The Cowboys took Anthony Fasano in the second round in 2006 with Witten on the roster. That didn't work out and he was eventually shipped to the Dolphins where he thrived. They took Martellus Bennett in the second round in 2008. That didn't work either and he left before last season as a free agent.

So when Escobar was on the board in the second round Friday and the talked turned to taking him with the blank overall pick, Jones demanded that his coaches agree that they will change the offense to feature both Witten and Escobar.

"You saw him coming," Jones recalled is conversations in the Cowboys war room. "No are we all resolved to doing it different relative to injecting that influence in this offense? Don't come in here with same old same old."

Jones continued: "I took a roll call and said if we got this route with the tight end we are going to shake it up around here relative to what we are doing. It's going to be different. I joked we are going to pass the paper around and we are all going to sign it. We are going to be different."

Jones partially blamed Bennett for some for some of the failures during his time in Dallas. He said the coaches really tried to make it work and tried to change the offense for him _ all to no avail.

"Some of the things that we tried to do with Martellus but we just couldn’t get it done, we couldn’t get it working," Jones siad. "We had packages we worked on for weeks out here just to get packages in, and he didn’t show. That sounds negative toward him, but he didn’t show. Having said that, we welcome the opportunity to add a tight end, a New England-type emphasis player, and can this quarterback have both of him? He sure can."

Clarence Hill

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Garrett calling the shots again. Lol

More like Jerry telling him, here's another TE, asshole, make it work.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Hey we've got an emerging, dominant young wide receiver so let's build our offense around our second string tight end. Fucking retards. If this was anybody else you would say it's unbelievable but for Jerry it's completely par for the course.

D

Deuce

I don't think he's asking to build the offense around him, just utilize him more than previous second TE's were used. I'm hoping that means a few designed screens for Escobar and running some more seam routes than blocking.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I don't think he's asking to build the offense around him, just utilize him more than previous second TE's were used. I'm hoping that means a few designed screens for Escobar and running some more seam routes than blocking.
That's good because Escobar isn't a blocker.

We could have easily added in more of the same type of plays with the much faster TE we already have in Hanna. Any way you slice it this was a stupid pick and completely unnecessary.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know he is saying we need to be flexible and inventive with a 2 TE set, but he cannot form a coherant thought to express it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=3]Martellus Bennett responds to Jerry Jones' criticism with "LOL" tweet [/h] It didn't take Bears tight end Martellus Bennett long to hear about the criticism of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones regarding his time in Dallas.

Bennett was picked in the second round by the Cowboys in 2008 out of Texas A&M. However, he never found his niche alongside Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten and left via free agency to the Giants in 2012. He responded with the best season of his career in New York, turning that into a free agent contract with the Bears.

Jones was asked about Bennett when he talked about changing the team's offense to feature two tight ends following the drafting of Gavin Escobar in the second round on Friday. Jones said the Cowboys tried to do when Bennett was in Dallas but said it never worked because of the former Aggies ineffectiveness.

"Some of the things that we tried to do with Martellus but we just couldn’t get it done, we couldn’t get it working," Jones said. "We had packages we worked on for weeks out here just to get packages in, and he didn’t show. That sounds negative toward him, but he didn’t show.

Not surprisingly, Bennett sent a twitter message "lol" from his account @joeygryffindor to my account @clarencehilljr Friday night after the draft.
Clarence Hill Jr.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hey we've got an emerging, dominant young wide receiver so let's build our offense around our second string tight end. Fucking retards. If this was anybody else you would say it's unbelievable but for Jerry it's completely par for the course.
True.

New England doesn't have a lead WR. And when they did, they didn't run this two-TE thing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I want to know why we couldn't do this with a much more athletic Hanna?

A TE running a 4.4 would create more mismatches than this slowpoke we just wasted a 2nd rounder on.

D

Deuce

I want to know why we couldn't do this with a much more athletic Hanna?

A TE running a 4.4 would create more mismatches than this slowpoke we just wasted a 2nd rounder on.
That was my question as well. Escobar can't block so it's not like he's taking playing time from Hanna in that regard. It's just a baffling pick to me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That was my question as well. Escobar can't block so it's not like he's taking playing time from Hanna in that regard. It's just a baffling pick to me.
And what makes it worse is that we used a draft pick on Hanna.

We spent a 6th rounder on him and yet after only one season, we're pretty much saying that we don't consider him part of our future after such a short amount of time.

The reason we're in such bad shape right is because we keep wasting or throwing away draft picks, so the last thing we need to be doing is intentionally throwing them away. But that's exactly what we're saying we're going to do when we take Escobar just one year after we took Hanna.

The fact that Hanna actually showed some promise just makes this pick even dumber.

D

Deuce

Throwing away a 6th doesn't bother me cause that happens all the time. Throwing away Hanna would.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Throwing away a 6th doesn't bother me cause that happens all the time. Throwing away Hanna would.
It bothers me when we've been throwing away draft picks for years, including the entire 2009 draft.

D

Deuce

Every team throws away 6th round picks. The expectation of them is minuscule. But Hanna looks like a hit which is why I want him to stay involved.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently you haven't seen Escobar as a jump ball receiver. He will be a beast at the goal line. Oh wait we tried the exact same shit with Bennett. God I remember running fades to that turd and watching him drop the ball. Expect us to do the same shit with Escobar instead of throwing the jump ball to Dez who is one of the best in the NFL.

dallen

Senior Tech
On the one hand Jerry is a used car salesman and you can't trust a darn thing that comes out of his mouth. On the other hand, Martellus is borderline mentally ill and I have no problem believing he couldn't pick up the offense. If we had an intelligent GM it would make me wonder if Witten wasn't starting to break down a little. He's never been a speedy guy and he's put in a lot of hard years.

dallen

Senior Tech
Apparently you haven't seen Escobar as a jump ball receiver. He will be a beast at the goal line. Oh wait we tried the exact same shit with Bennett. God I remember running fades to that turd and watching him drop the ball. Expect us to do the same shit with Escobar instead of throwing the jump ball to Dez who is one of the best in the NFL.
From what I've read, at least Escobar can catch a football. He has that over Bennett

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I've read, at least Escobar can catch a football. He has that over Bennett
In college he was exceptional at jump balls. Probably second only to Eifert in this draft. He has some big mitts from what I have seen. I just don't trust us to use him enough to warrant a second round pick. Witten is a soldier no one will be taking reps away from that dude even if he is hurt.

Top Bottom