Hill - Jones: Cap crunch may be a blessing; force Cowboys to draft well like Seahawks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Cap crunch may be a blessing; force the Cowboys to draft well like Seahawks

Vice-president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys can do what they need to do in free agency but acknowledges salary-cap restraints will force them to be prudent.

The Cowboys are roughly $15-20 million over the projected salary cap of $130 million for 2014.

They will need to make moves to clear room just get under the cap by the start of free agency March 11.

Jones said the limits however may be blessing in disguise for the Cowboys as it may force them to build a winner through the draft like the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

“Free agency isn’t always the answer,” Jones said. “We could go out and hire somebody is we wanted. But I don’t see us going in that direction now. We are not in any rush. But what it may cause you to do is draft young people and play your draft picks which may make us a better football team. A team like Seattle shows that.”

Clarence Hill
--------------

The more Goof Son talks, the more stupid he sounds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
But what it may cause you to do is draft young people and play your draft picks which may make us a better football team. A team like Seattle shows that
That might be the stupidest fucking logic I have ever heard for not going after players in FA. God damn.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So normally we aren't looking for good players in the draft? Makes sense.

dallen

Senior Tech
So normally we aren't looking for good players in the draft? Makes sense.
This shouldn't surprise anyone. How many special teams drafts have we had?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
So you are going to try to draft players that can play?

Mmmkay, Stephen. Thanks.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That might be the stupidest fucking logic I have ever heard for not going after players in FA. God damn.
Hey, that's Dallas Cowboys logic for you.

I mean, WTF is he trying to say? That we haven't been using the draft to get better? That they didn't view the draft as a means to get better and draft young players who eventually become key contributors on your team?

Unbelievable.

Cotton

Staff member
Stephen Jones: Cap space not huge issue for Dallas Cowboys; ‘being a big player in free agency is overrated’
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
10:44 am on February 24, 2014 | Permalink

It’s not a secret that the Dallas Cowboys won’t be much of a player in free agency. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones has a lot of work to do in the upcoming months to get the franchise’s cap in order.

Jones was in Indianapolis for the scouting combine along with several other Cowboys staff members this weekend, looking over prospects that will likely be Dallas’ best option for improving the talent level on the roster.

“At the end of the day, all 32 teams are figuring out that this is how you build a football team, through the draft,” Jones said Sunday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “It’s obviously well documented of our cap issues. In our mind, they’re not huge issues. They’re ones that we’ll deal with and we’ll certainly digest and get through at the end of the day.”

The Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks are one of the league’s best examples of how to build a team predominately through the draft. Jones is hoping the Cowboys can do the same.

Jones noted that the team’s scouting department and coaching staff were not only focused on players they can draft in May but also ones that will go undrafted and can be signed as free agents.

“There’s always some really good players left after the draft is said and done, and we’re really focusing on that,” Jones said.

He added: “The only thing the cap issues do with us is we can’t be big players in free agency, and I think history will tell you that being a big player in free agency is overrated and usually detrimental to the growth of a franchise, because a lot of these guys are leaving their other team for a reason.

“It’s usually because [those teams] don’t want to pay them and usually that’s for a reason.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So I guess we know now where Spags got his "if they're so good why are they available" line

Cotton

Staff member
Top Bottom