Archer: Cowboys have talked to Hatcher, Spencer

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys have talked to Hatcher, Spencer

February, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys must address their defensive line in 2014 and have had talks with the agent for Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer.

"They've indicated they want them both back," Jordan Woy said, "so we'll see how it goes."

The probability they both return to the only team they have known is slim for a number of reasons. The Cowboys must shed salary-cap space and could find it difficult to match any offer Hatcher receives from another team. Spencer played only 34 snaps in 2013 because of a knee injury that required microfracture surgery.

Hatcher, who turns 32 in July, had his best season with a career-high 11 sacks and was added to the Pro Bowl. He had 48 tackles, seven tackles for loss and 33 quarterback pressures in 15 games.

"He'd like to play there," said Woy, who negotiated a seven-year, $22 million deal for kicker Dan Bailey earlier in the offseason, "but hey, it's free agency and it's going to come down to the contract."

Spencer turned 30 in January and has made close to $20 million the last two seasons as the Cowboys' franchise player. But he enters free agency coming off a major surgery. Woy said Spencer just began running this week after undergoing the surgery last fall.

Woy said Spencer was told by the doctors that his rehab is on the right track and they feel confident he will be able to play. The question is when, which will affect his marketability.

"I think some of the OTA-type stuff he could do limited things in," Woy said. "I don't think he'd be out there full speed but by training camp and the preseason games he'll be back full speed out there."
--------------

The laziest and stupidest front office in the NFL strikes again.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So they're lazy and stupid for just talking to them? I'd think it would be lazy and stupid to not even try to find out what kind of contract they're looking for. Talking is free.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So they're lazy and stupid for just talking to them? I'd think it would be lazy and stupid to not even try to find out what kind of contract they're looking for. Talking is free.
It is lazy and stupid for several reasons.

First, they need to break the pattern they have exhibited with veterans. They cannot continue to pay 30 year olds, injured players etc. any longer. It is stupid.

Second, the lazy part comes from the fact that if they actually see promise in these "free talks" that they might convince themselves that it is not necessary to bother to draft at the positions.

These are the kind of talks you have after the draft, not before...especially when you have a guy that can't even walk.

It also does not help when your new DC is leaving signs in the locker room telling your 30 year old one year wonder "Don't Leave Big Daddy". Hatcher is a guy you tell to go play the field and if you want to stay here, come back and see us with your offer if you want.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The attitude of dealing with the "devil you know" is lazy, and pathetic as these "elite" players press on into their 30's.

Where the fuck was Jason Hatcher for, I don't know, his entire career?? Ditto Spencer. Just where the fuck where they? Along with Marcus Spears they were Fat, dumb, happy, and content to play for coaches who never challenged them or had a clue how to get the most from them.

Give me any new, young players with even a decent pedigree who works their asses off and take nothing for granted.

D

Deuce

I don't mind talking to them as long as the conversation ends with a "GTFO", but sadly it won't.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It doesn't need to end with "GTFO" but it does need to end with "Take this minimal salary or GTFO."

Especially Spencer who has stolen money from us the past 2 years.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The attitude of dealing with the "devil you know" is lazy, and pathetic as these "elite" players press on into their 30's.

Where the fuck was Jason Hatcher for, I don't know, his entire career?? Ditto Spencer. Just where the fuck where they? Along with Marcus Spears they were Fat, dumb, happy, and content to play for coaches who never challenged them or had a clue how to get the most from them.

Give me any new, young players with even a decent pedigree who works their asses off and take nothing for granted.
Hatcher spent most of his career buried behind Spears and not getting playing time because Spears was a first round pick. He showed some talent after that but he kept getting dinged up in the 3-4. Playing a one-gap DT was right up his alley all along.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind talking to them as long as the conversation ends with a "GTFO", but sadly it won't.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to say GTFO with Hatcher. The dude was a stud for us last year. Now I know we are all well aware we can't afford the player but until he actually tells us how much he wants I wouldn't say GTFO.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need a whole new front...I don't want either back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We need a whole new front...I don't want either back.
I've never seen an entire front change for the better in one offseason.

It doesn't hurt to determine Spencer and Hatcher's value before they hit FA. Spencer in particular might come cheap enough for Dallas to sign, and getting either shouldn't stop the team from trying to get younger up front.

Top Bottom