JJ Wilcox video

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He learned a lot in a year. Kid's a football player first, but slot NFL WR's are going to be problems for him. Tavon Austin would run circles around him, but then again Austin would do that to just about any safety.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is a great athlete who doesn't know what the hell he is doing half the time.

I am more excited about his ST potential than anything else.

Thank goodness we are set at safety we can add a kid with his talent.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He learned a lot in a year. Kid's a football player first, but slot NFL WR's are going to be problems for him. Tavon Austin would run circles around him, but then again Austin would do that to just about any safety.
vaccaro shut him down.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know one thing about him besides thays video being watched in my phone but he's an athlete. If he works out he will most likely struggle for a few years to compete against nfl talent.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im seeing a guy that looks to be a good safety candidate. We've put such crap back there for far too long.

This kid looks talented.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys third-rounder J.J. Wilcox says playing offense for three years helped him at safety, where he really wants to play

Safety J.J. Wilcox, taken with the Cowboys’ second pick in the third round, played offense his first three years at Georgia Southern. He was a slot receiver and also carried the ball, finishing his career with 45 catches for 898 yards and four touchdowns and 138 carries for 968 yards and 13 touchdowns.

But it didn't slow him down when he moved to safety last year. He recorded 88 tackles, three pass breakups and two interceptions.

“It doesn’t make you limited,” he said. “You have to be a good athlete and a good team player at any position. It helps you with ball skills, feet, hips. You understand route recognition, how receivers come out. Playing offense all three years definitely helped me out playing safety in college. Hopefully it will help me out once I’m in the NFL.”

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he was impressed by how smoothly Wilcox adapted to safety last year after not having played the position since high school.

“If you watch him play, he leaps off the screen at you,” Garrett said. “He can run, he can hit. He plays with great explosiveness. For a guy who hadn’t done this since high school, he really seemed to pick up the position well.”

Wilcox said he likes playing safety, anyway.

“You know, back in the days when you were playing Emmitt Smith and John Lynch, playing tiger football in the back yard growing up, I laid a couple guys out,” he said, drawing laughs from reporters. “I got laid out a couple of times, too. But I was usually one of the ones that wound up on top.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I mean, he looks talented. He's a Cowboy now. I'm hoping he's great.

But AOA's video against lower competition looked good too.

I would not say the odds are in this kid's favor. We simply do not have a track record of getting big-measurable, small-school, mid-round developmental players to work out for us.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Matt Johnson / J.J. Wilcox will make us forget Cliff Harris / Charlie Waters.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, he looks talented. He's a Cowboy now. I'm hoping he's great.

But AOA's video against lower competition looked good too.

I would not say the odds are in this kid's favor. We simply do not have a track record of getting big-measurable, small-school, mid-round developmental players to work out for us.
The only glimmer of hope I have is that he looked great at the Senior Bowl. As far as I know guys like AOA and Matt Johnson were never even invited to a game like that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There were a couple of nice plays in there but overall.....very underwhelming highlight video.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really don't know anything about the guy other than the video but he seems to have the athleticism and attitude to play the game. My guess is his biggest challenge will be as a student of the position. Kiffin will need to put on his teaching cap for him.

Top Bottom