Archer: Josh Brent's playing future uncertain

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Josh Brent's playing future uncertain

February, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The agent for former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent, Peter Schaffer, said he will meet with his client in the next few weeks to discuss whether Brent wants re-start his football career after his 180-day jail sentence ends.

“There’s not been the proper time for those discussions,” Schaffer said. “All of that is premature. The most important thing for him is to make sure that he’s in a good place and Jerry (Brown’s) family is in a good place, and that he has a proper direction for the rest of his life to make sure he’s doing things he wants to do and to make sure this never happens to anybody else.”

Brent was convicted of intoxication manslaughter for his role in the accident that killed practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown, who was Brent’s best friend. In addition to the 180-day jail sentence, he received 10 years’ probation.

Brent retired from the NFL last summer. He would have to apply for reinstatement, and could be subject to more discipline from the league’s personal conduct policy.

Schaffer said Brent wants to begin a program to help people learn from the dangers of drinking and driving when he is out of jail.

“His focus is on his best friend and his best friend’s family, and trying to make sure that something like this never happens to anybody else,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer said Brent has appreciated the support of the Cowboys and the Jones family through the process.

“They’ve supported him emotionally and physically by giving him a job at their warehouse,” Schaffer said. “It’s very easy to take shots at the Cowboys because they’re so public in what they do, but the things they do privately that nobody sees, I don’t think they get credit for that.”

midswat

... soon
He'd get a year suspension and he wasn't that good to begin with. I mean he showed potential but I don't think hell ever amount to anything after not playing for two full years. Sooooo idgaf

Top Bottom