Archer: Cowboys' Twitter mailbag - Part 1

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Twitter mailbag: Part 1
February, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- Part one of the Cowboys’ Twitter mailbag is ready.

While I am at the NFL combine, most of the questions had to do with free agency and getting under the cap. But we do discuss the possibility of drafting a quarterback and I give you a name I like.

Away we go:

DamiaNx88
@DamiaNx88
@toddarcher With the cap now going to be $130m , do you see DC being players for someone like Melton? Or less restructures? #cowboysmail
Feb. 20, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

@toddarcher: Stephen Jones said the Cowboys plan to be efficient in free agency. To me, that means there won’t be any big spending. And I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing. There’s too much risk when paying a big money free agent. If Henry Melton is looking for a big payday, then I would cross him off the list. I would cross just about every player off the list if you are talking big money. As for the restructuring of contracts, I think the reported slight increase in the cap will mean the Cowboys won’t have to re-work many deals. That’s a good thing because it does not adversely affect the 2015 cap.

Todd Cory
@TDC331
@toddarcher Do you believe Dallas can increase the number of defensive turnovers they create compared to last year? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: If there was one thing the Cowboys' defense did well in 2013, it was creating turnovers. The Cowboys had 28 takeaways after getting just 16 in 2012. With Rod Marinelli taking over as defensive coordinator, his history suggests the Cowboys will be able to take the ball away. The Chicago Bears did it as well as any defense in the league when he was their defensive coordinator from 2010-12. The Cowboys’ best playmaker is Sean Lee. Can he stay healthy? If DeMarcus Ware is healthy, then he can create more turnovers with sacks and fumbles. The cornerbacks need to make more plays. Marinelli preaches the mindset and the Cowboys paid more attention to detail on it in practices than at any point since I’ve been covering this team. It paid off. It should pay off again in 2014 but I don’t know if they get more than 28 takeaways.

therealsnctyler
@therealsnctyler
#cowboysmail why are they keeping Kiffin? Contract? A head scratch hire IMO and the D got worse.

@toddarcher: It is something of a mystery. Perhaps they did not want to send a coach with Kiffin’s reputation off to retirement with a firing. It’s a big-boy league, so I hope that is not the case, but you never know. It didn’t work last year for sure. I don’t think it’s the scheme. The scheme is fine. Some of the top defenses in the league use it. The problem was personnel, injury and stubbornness. We’ve talked about the personnel. The Cowboys went through 20 defensive linemen because of ability and injury. As for the stubbornness, Kiffin either could not or would not adjust, especially the coverage, which hurt the secondary because the four-man pressure would not get to the quarterback. It will be interesting to see how different Marinelli is. I looked at some of his work with Chicago and he was fairly basic. Why? He had talent.

finalwordsports
@BostonJRock33
@toddarcher What is your feeling about Dallas drafting a QB, possibly anywhere between the 4th-6th round? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: I would do it and there could be some names available in those rounds because of injuries. The Cowboys have not shied away from taking players with injuries in hopes of payoff later. Tony Romo is their quarterback for at least the next two or three seasons. They need to start the clock and if they like a guy in those rounds, take him. The guy I like is Georgia’s Aaron Murray. He got hurt late last season, but he has a moxie (a Romo description) that I like. With time, I think he could be a good pick.

JamesSchee
@JamesSchee
@toddarcher Are the Dallas Cowboys at their stunning level of mediocrity, closer to the Browns/Jaguars or Seattle/SF/Broncos? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: I might be in the minority here, but I think closer to the better teams than the worst teams. I say that, but I also like the Browns' roster, salary-cap space and upcoming draft picks. Cleveland has a chance to turn it around if they can get the quarterback spot figured out. That’s a big if. Jacksonville closed last season pretty well under Gus Bradley, but the Jaguars don’t have a quarterback, either. Some people believe it is harder to go from 8-8 to elite than from 4-12 to 8-8. I can understand that thinking. But my premise is that the design of the league is for every team to go 8-8. With poor luck, you go 6-10. With good luck, you go 10-6 or better. With some luck – maybe a lot – the Cowboys can get to 10-6 and be a contender in 2014. If not, then they just need to start over.

Top Bottom