Archer: Kyle Wilber switching positions

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kyle Wilber switching positions
April, 26, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys’ move to the 4-3 scheme will bring a position switch for Kyle Wilber.

Wilber, a fourth-round pick last year, will play defensive end after indications earlier in the offseason were that he would compete for one of the outside linebacker spots.

“Kyle Wilber is going to start out as a defensive end for us, and one of the things we liked about him coming out as an outside linebacker and what his best trait was as a pass rusher,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We feel like the easiest transition for him will be to put his hand on the ground and be that pass rusher as opposed to the off the ball linebacker. We’ll see how he adjusts to it and once we get on the field we’ll make that determination going forward.”

Wilber played a hybrid role at Wake Forest and had 13.5 sacks in his career. He played sparingly last season and was slowed by finger and hand injuries. At 246 pounds, he will need to add bulk.

“The traits you want in the defensive line in this defense is quickness and speed,” Garrett said. “Kyle needs to be bigger, but you’ve got to be careful to get too big because we want him to have some juice off the ball.”​

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We do need a backup to Ware, I guess you can cross DE off the list of positions to draft this year. Probably looking at Crawford and Wilber as your two backup DEs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We do need a backup to Ware, I guess you can cross DE off the list of positions to draft this year. Probably looking at Crawford and Wilber as your two backup DEs.
Yep, hopefully we get another LB in the draft because we're still missing an OLB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not really feeling it with Wilber in a 4-3. I think he'll get blown off the ball in the running game. I'd try to see if somebody would be interested in him for a late pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
PS, moving Wilber all over the world trying to find a spot for him is the beginning of the end for that wasted pick.

Man, last year, what a shitty draft. We had four picks fairly close to the beginning of the rounds, and we basically got 1 keeper out of it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would address other concerns before strongside LBer, which is not crucial in Kiffin's scheme.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
If we get Khas Greene in the third round I will go into full out homer mode. This guy has some serious potential and has only played OLB for 2 years. not to mention hes an RU guy so you know he's an all around swell guy

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, hopefully we get another LB in the draft because we're still missing an OLB.
We have 3 very strong starting LBers already. Depth is where the concerns lie because we know how fragile Lee and Carter can be. Right now you have Ernie Sims, Albright, and McSurdy. I can't even think of anyone else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'd like to. But if it's Khasim Greene or Benny Logan.... uh.... Greene please.
I don't want a LBer but if we draft one in the second I'm keeping my mouth shut. Besides I do like Khasim Greene. I think he could be a stud.

Top Bottom