Watkins - Stephen Jones: Dallas open to Michael Sam

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Dallas open to Michael Sam

February, 12, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Count the Dallas Cowboys as another team that wouldn't have a problem having an openly gay player on their roster.

On Wednesday, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said simply "yes" if the franchise would welcome Missouri linebacker Michael Sam, who announced he is gay.

Jones also said the NFL is ready for an openly gay player.

Sam is considered more of an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. The Cowboys run a 4-3 scheme.
----------------

Damn, is Watkins a fricking retard or what?

He was a dismal failure when tried out as a 3-4 OLB at Mobile.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I was thinking that too. I kind of think of Sam (so far, unless he blows up the combine) as a Victor Butler type prospect.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd take a flyer on him, depending on who is available by around our 4th rounder pick. He's undersized as a 4-3 end but he's more of the type we should be targeting in the mid and late rounds - productive at a strong/big school program who regularly played against top competition. I am so tired of the Webbs and Wilcoxes with marginal resumes and/or small school backgrounds with a much higher bust rate.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'd take a flyer on him, depending on who is available by around our 4th rounder pick. He's undersized as a 4-3 end but he's more of the type we should be targeting in the mid and late rounds - productive at a strong/big school program who regularly played against top competition. I am so tired of the Webbs and Wilcoxes with marginal resumes and/or small school backgrounds with a much higher bust rate.
You will get another lower division developmental DB prospect and like it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry is a wildcat. He loves to gamble and Las Vegas loves him gambling.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
"I think we need some uh homersexuals to get in the uh tournament. Relatively, I hope he looks as good in the shower as Troy did"

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also Harrison was undrafted and rode the bench for 4 years before becoming a starter at 29. That's a hell of a projection to make.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Steve's dad is fond of glory holes, so yeah, it makes sense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also Harrison was undrafted and rode the bench for 4 years before becoming a starter at 29. That's a hell of a projection to make.
Obviously it's the roided-up Harrison I'm taking about. Chemicals may have bailed out Harrison's career, but Sam has that same stocky build and tenacity. He's always around the football and isn't afraid to fight through the line to get to it.

It helps when Kony Ealy is eating up double teams and 100% makes the other team pay for leaving him unblocked, but Michael Sam is a natural playmaker.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Obviously it's the roided-up Harrison I'm taking about. Chemicals may have bailed out Harrison's career, but Sam has that same stocky build and tenacity. He's always around the football and isn't afraid to fight through the line to get to it.

It helps when Kony Ealy is eating up double teams and 100% makes the other team pay for leaving him unblocked, but Michael Sam is a natural playmaker.
I think he projects as a 4-3 DE after his struggles in Mobile. I'll be interested in his combine performance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he projects as a 4-3 DE after his struggles in Mobile. I'll be interested in his combine performance.
I agree and honestly in today's NFL is a 260 lb end considered that undersized? Don't you think he could be up close to 270 before it's said and done if needed? I think he should have played purely end at Mobile.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I agree and honestly in today's NFL is a 260 lb end considered that undersized? Don't you think he could be up close to 270 before it's said and done if needed? I think he should have played purely end at Mobile.
at 6'2" he'd be stocky enough at 270, (same Ht/Wt as Charles Johnson) but arm length might be a concern.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Speaking of Harrison, that should have been Ware's DPOY award.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
couldnt have said it any better. We can't take any more Black Wiener on this team

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's more his height that makes him undersized, but on the other hand it's not like he's 5'9. Depending on his arm length he should be able to get by, if he is savvy enough. I feel like his height/weight ratio is fine.

Top Bottom