Mendez: Cowboys stayed away from Sharrif Floyd because he didn't quite fit in new def

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys stayed away from Sharrif Floyd because he didn't quite fit in new defense

The Cowboys opted not to try to wait for defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd in the first round Thursday night because he didn’t fit their new defensive scheme.

“In our system, we probably would put a premium on a quick-twitch potential 3-technique,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday night after the first round. “We view him as not that, but certainly maybe capable of getting there. So that is a case where our system, our switch from the 3-4 where he was obviously a nose tackle – had a lot of promise."

Floyd, mocked as high as No. 3 to the Raiders, went No. 23 to Minnesota after the Cowboys traded out of the 18th pick to the 31st. It could be that his lack of sacks at Florida – only 4 1/2 in his career – hurt Floyd’s stock more than expected.

“He’s an outstanding football player,” Jones said. “But we were sitting there with some real good grades in a couple situations. Again, I think you’ve got to put our decision-making with a real focus on doing something in the interior offensive line.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Floyd is a great fit as a 3-technique but if Kiffin doesn't then I'd have to defer to him obviously, let's hope that was the case and that Jerry isn't just bullshitting.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
yea I just dont believe anything that comes out of that guys mouth. I'll wait until Kiffin says he doesn't believe he was a good fit

gator

Brand New Member
This is bullshit. Floyd isn't quite Ratliff in his prime quick, but he's a well above average athlete compared to most 3 techniques.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
And he was reportedly rated 7th on our board, which would be an odd thing to do if you didn't think he was a fit.
No doubt in my mind that he was high on our board then we went gutless and chickenshitted out when he started to drop.

Mickey must have been in the war room saying, "if he's so good, why's he dropping?"

They second guessed their board, plain and simple.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
No doubt in my mind that he was high on our board then we went gutless and chickenshitted out when he started to drop.

Mickey must have been in the war room saying, "if he's so good, why's he dropping?"

They second guessed their board, plain and simple.
That's exactly what I read earlier today. 4 months of draft prep and the got cold feet and changed the board once their other targets were gone and he was the top 10 player that fell. But to compound it they made a poor trade and then reached when they did pick.

And I never understood or felt Floyd was a top 10 player. But in the mid to late teens he was fine.

D

Deuce

:lol

It's sad that I can see that happening. If they did re-arrange their board or 2nd guess it for whatever reason, I agree that's shitty. But I have no problem them ranking him that high with no plan on taking him cause that should have led to a nice trade down with someone who wanted him. I'm curious if that's why they first trade fell through.

Carl

RIP Brother
That's exactly what I read earlier today. 4 months of draft prep and the got cold feet and changed the board once their other targets were gone and he was the top 10 player that fell. But to compound it they made a poor trade and then reached when they did pick.

And I never understood or felt Floyd was a top 10 player. But in the mid to late teens he was fine.
Not sure where Mike Fisher gets his info; but he just tweeted that the Scouting dept (headed by Garrett) didn't "adjust" the board, which means that the Jones boys did.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Cowboys stayed away from Sharrif Floyd because he didn't quite fit in new defense

The Cowboys opted not to try to wait for defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd in the first round Thursday night because he didn’t fit their new defensive scheme.

“In our system, we probably would put a premium on a quick-twitch potential 3-technique,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday night after the first round. “We view him as not that, but certainly maybe capable of getting there. So that is a case where our system, our switch from the 3-4 where he was obviously a nose tackle – had a lot of promise."

Floyd, mocked as high as No. 3 to the Raiders, went No. 23 to Minnesota after the Cowboys traded out of the 18th pick to the 31st. It could be that his lack of sacks at Florida – only 4 1/2 in his career – hurt Floyd’s stock more than expected.

“He’s an outstanding football player,” Jones said. “But we were sitting there with some real good grades in a couple situations. Again, I think you’ve got to put our decision-making with a real focus on doing something in the interior offensive line.”

-- Carlos Mendez
It still proves how much of a drooling retard Jerry is. Floyd is not a 3-4 NT in any sense of the word. If you want to look at a 3-4 NT, you look at John Jenkins from Georgia, not Sharrif Floyd.

D

Deuce

Not sure where Mike Fisher gets his info; but he just tweeted that the Scouting dept (headed by Garrett) didn't "adjust" the board, which means that the Jones boys did.
Maybe Jerry got pissed when he saw that awesome sign in the crowd asking if they could trade picks for a new GM. Changing the board was his reminder to the fans to F off.

Carl

RIP Brother
Maybe Jerry got pissed when he saw that awesome sign in the crowd asking if they could trade picks for a new GM. Changing the board was his reminder to the fans to F off.
I remain convinced that Jerry had been "partying" with Bill Clinton earlier in the day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is bullshit. Floyd isn't quite Ratliff in his prime quick, but he's a well above average athlete compared to most 3 techniques.
You're right, he is Marcus Spears coming out of LSU quick... Actually Spears was at least able to get some sacks in college.

gator

Brand New Member
He was 3rd team All American with the statistical production you're all hung up on, CRock. He was an impact player in the middle and he's not a finished product. I still think he's a half a step lower than Fletcher Cox was as a prospect, but there's no question he's a solid value where he went in the 20s.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was 3rd team All American with the statistical production you're all hung up on, CRock. He was an impact player in the middle and he's not a finished product. I still think he's a half a step lower than Fletcher Cox was as a prospect, but there's no question he's a solid value where he went in the 20s.
Marcus Spears was a first team All American according to the AP, Walter Camp Foundation and American Football Coaches Association. Not trying to say that Floyd is a total shit prospect but I don't see a first rounder. I see a guy that needs a ton of refinement as a pass rusher and displays a very slow first step on film. I didn't want the Cowboys to take him even in the 20's because I personally don't think he is good value there because I don't think he will turn out to be a great player. I could be wrong but obviously most of the NFL wasn't that in love with him either. They still love him more then I do though.

Top Bottom