MaCMahon: Jerry on Travis Frederick: 'He Will start'

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Jerry on Travis Frederick: 'He will start'

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The company line is that Cowboys first-round pick Travis Frederick will compete for a starting job this season.

The reality is that the coaching staff just needs to figure out whose job Frederick will take.

“I had hoped we could come out of this thing with a legitimate starter, a legitimate starter, and he will start,” owner/general manager Jerry Jones said. “He will start. First-rounder and not starting? I know coach wants there to be competition and should be, and we all know that’s the way it is.”

Jones cited the interior offensive line as the Cowboys’ most glaring weakness. Center Phil Costa struggled in his first season as a starter in 2011 and missed almost all of last season due to injuries. Guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau were disappointments in the first season in Dallas after signing eight-figure deals as free agents.

The Cowboys ranked Frederick as the No. 22 player on their board. They had 19 players with first-round grades but, according to Jones, they determined that there was more value in trading down to No. 31 and adding the No. 74 overall pick.

Jones acknowledged that the Cowboys considered trading up if guards Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack slid. That, however, was off the table with the two guards going in the top 10.

“I don’t know if I would have wanted to give up a 3 to have rather had a player we might have moved up for than to have Frederick and gained a 3,” Jones said. “We’re two 3s better off by having not moved up and picked another guard.”

So does the 6-foot-3 5/8, 320-ish-pound Frederick begin his NFL career at guard or center? That’s something the coaches need to determine as quickly as possible after full-team offseason workouts begin next month.

“We’re going to put a base in there where you don’t have a knock-back issue,” Jones said. “Bill Callahan is a big center guy. After your left tackle, he likes the center position as far as the best players on the offensive line. Well, we’ve got Costa. We’re pretty proud of Costa, frankly. Well, can this guy play guard? You bet he can.”

Added head coach Jason Garrett: “Because he has position flex and has played a full season at either spot, we feel good about maybe plugging him in at either spot and having him compete with the guys on our roster. We haven’t made that determination right now. We like competition, as you guys know, and he’ll certainly be very much in the mix.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cowboys value position flex a little too much I think.

But at least Dallas got another 3rd for their reach unlike New York and Chicago. It's not much to go on, but it's something. NFC East went all OL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Of course he will start.

From Day 1 this is the best interior lineman on the team. Bob tried to say last night "Well, maybe Nate Livings, we should give him a little credit...." But I don't think so.

I think Frederick from Day 1 is our best interior OL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course he will start.

From Day 1 this is the best interior lineman on the team. Bob tried to say last night "Well, maybe Nate Livings, we should give him a little credit...." But I don't think so.

I think Frederick from Day 1 is our best interior OL.
No doubt he's our center for the foreseeable future despite Jerry hinting he's a guard and the team still needs a guard and a tackle. I like that Moore is still out there and of course Winston and Clabo.

D

Deuce

Livings will still start because he was less of a libability than Center and RG were. But Frederick can step into either of those spots and be an instant upgrade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't necessarily just pencil in Frederick at either spot.

I think there will probably be a somewhat open competition with the knowledge that Frederick will start somewhere. It will probably be Costa/Frederick/Bernadeau competing at center with Livings/Frederick/Bernadeau/Leary at OG, and perhaps another draft pick or FA signing like Moore.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess you missed the part where Jerry said he will start.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I guess you missed the part where Jerry said he will start.
Is that directed at me?

Because I quite obviously said that he'd be starting at one spot or the other but I wouldn't pencil him in at either because there would be a somewhat open competition and he could end up at either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is an interesting fit at RG. Watching the tape you can really see the dude has some power. In general your RG is that straight ahead plow a big hole guy. I don't know that he fits that well at LG since that is usually more of your pulling guard. Of course he would be nice to have at center when you face teams that line a NT right up over your center because he can handle guys with size.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think his strength combined with his smarts makes him a better fit for C.

Gurode had the size, but not the smarts, and Costa seems smart enough but just sucks.

Frederick has a chance to be our first center since the 90's to be solid all around.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God, I hope he pans out. If he doesn't Jerry will never go high for OL ever again.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd like to have him suit up and go against NFL talent before proclaiming a rookie the starter. That's just me.

Maybe Jerry means Frederick will get 1st team reps right away. I can understand that.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I think his strength combined with his smarts makes him a better fit for C.

Gurode had the size, but not the smarts, and Costa seems smart enough but just sucks.

Frederick has a chance to be our first center since the 90's to be solid all around.
So the black dude is dumb and the white guys are smart. I see.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd like to have him suit up and go against NFL talent before proclaiming a rookie the starter. That's just me.

Maybe Jerry means Frederick will get 1st team reps right away. I can understand that.
Even if he sucks he can't be worse than Costa and Bernadeau. It's not possible.

Top Bottom