JJT: Cowboys offense no juggernaut

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys offense no juggernaut

Jerry Jones can't afford to turn a blind eye to the Dallas unit's lack of killer instinct
Updated: January 24, 2014, 1:31 PM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Sometimes, the numbers lie. Sometimes, the numbers allow an owner such as Jerry Jones to lie to himself.

Sometimes, the numbers make an average offense appear to be good. The 2013 Dallas Cowboys were a perfect example of that.

If the Cowboys' offense had been good, the team would've made the playoffs this season, despite a historically bad defense.

That's the truth.

After all, we're talking about a team that finished 8-8, even though it gifted games to Detroit and Green Bay, and was positioned to beat Philadelphia.

Obviously, this is all a bunch of woulda, coulda, shoulda, but it's important to note -- because the worst thing an organization can do is lie to itself. Unfortunately, Jerry excels at that.

He's the ultimate optimist -- a man who has a warehouse full of rose-colored spectacles for any occasion.

So you know Jerry is going to look at having left tackle Tyron Smith, receiver Dez Bryant, tight end Jason Witten and running back DeMarco Murray in the Pro Bowl from a team that averaged 27.4 points -- fifth in the NFL -- and think everything is OK.

Much of it was a mirage.

Jerry will only see that Tony Romo passed for 3,828 yards with 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, Bryant had 1,233 yards receiving with 13 touchdowns, Murray had 1,124 yards rushing and an offensive line that ProFootballFocus.com considered one of the best in the NFL.

The owner is going to see all those numbers and believe it's all good.

But the game is about more than numbers. Look beyond the gaudy stats and you'll see that the Cowboys' offense often struggled when it mattered most.

Understand, the only positive thing the Cowboys did on defense this season was create turnovers, which often positioned the offense to score points. Too many times, though, the offense didn't take advantage of those opportunities.

Too many times, Dallas kicked field goals instead of scoring touchdowns. That cost the Cowboys victories against Detroit and Green Bay.

The Cowboys' defense scored five touchdowns and gave the offense the ball 21 times in the opponents' side of the field. The Cowboys scored only seven touchdowns in those situations.

Ridiculous.

In the regular-season finale against Philadelphia, the Cowboys trailed 17-13 midway through the third quarter. Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware combined on a strip-sack and fumble recovery that gave the Cowboys the ball at the Philadelphia 20.

A touchdown would've given the Cowboys their first lead and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Maybe the momentum swing would've been enough for the Cowboys to win the game and the NFC East.

Instead, the offense produced only two yards on three plays, and settled for a field goal.

The Cowboys still trailed, 17-16.

Former coach Bill Parcells used to say there's a moment in every game where one team can seize control. The good teams and good players recognize that moment and ratchet up their intensity.

The average teams, and bad teams, let the moment slip past them.

Against Detroit, the defense forced four turnovers and gave the Cowboys the ball at the Lions' 4, 35 and 31. Dallas scored one touchdown and kicked two field goals, allowing Detroit to hang close enough to steal it at the end with an 80-yard drive in the final moments.

We know Calvin Johnson had 329 yards receiving, second-most in NFL history, and the Lions gained 623 yards -- at the time, the most the Cowboys had ever allowed.

Still, if the offense had done more than gain five yards and take only 22 seconds off the clock before settling for a field goal after the defense stopped Detroit on downs with 1 minute 24 seconds left, Dallas still would've won.

Against Green Bay, the Cowboys' defense played one of its best halves of the season, and the team took a 26-3 lead at intermission. Of course, if the offense had scored a touchdown instead of a field goal after Sterling Moore's interception gave Dallas the ball at the Packers' 20, they would've led 30-3 at halftime.

And if head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Bill Callahan had managed the game properly and run the ball, protecting their raggedy defense, the Cowboys still would've won.

Instead, they lost yet another heartbreaker.

The numbers say the Cowboys' offense had a good season. Reality says it was average.

This team still needs much work on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, Jerry removes his rose-colored spectacles and pays attention.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
JJT: "Yeah, you scored the 5th most points in the league without any "padding" (only three games were won by more than 10 points), but if you only scored 4th most in the league you'd have won more games."

No duh, dipshat. Every team that didn't go 16-0 could have won more games by scoring more points.

Half of the offensive problems JJT cites were related to playcalling, but the man is hammering the Cowboys offense for not having scored more than 30 and 36 points vs. Detroit and Green Bay. Seriously? That is too much pressure to put on any one side of the ball, and no wonder Tony Romo gets blistered in the media. The Cowboys have no one else good enough to hammer.

Everyone knows Garrett is a powerless puppet who's out of his depth, the defense sucked worse than any other Cowboys defense in history, and the OC refuses to run the damned football despite their oft-injured RB actually being healthy and their usually terrible OL suddenly a strength. No, blame Romo for scoring only a paltry 31 TDs (tied with himself for 2nd all time Cowboys). We needed teh more!!1!!

Not saying the offense is perfect-- far from it, but the failings offensively were nothing next to the other side of the ball. Those failures are squarely the fault of the personnel dept.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If the Cowboys' offense had been good, the team would've made the playoffs this season, despite a historically bad defense.

That's the truth.

CORRECT!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Everyone knows Garrett is a powerless puppet who's out of his depth
So basically he is blameless? I think Jerry Jones is the Anti-Christ, but until someone proves he actually tells Jason Garrett what plays to call, I fail to see how you can blame every little fricking thing on him.

It is different when you have a 5-11 team.

Bad is bad.

But when you end up 8-8 and a couple of those losses are arguably on the idiotic playcalling when the team was ahead and in control, what then?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ravi accurately stated my position, which is also the only correct position, being that, the offense has it's problems but it's far from the biggest.
The situational issues with the offense and the playcalling have been systemic and not just limited to last year.

If you are denying that, you are just looking for excuses to eliminate any shred of blame from Garrett whatsoever.

Genghis Khan

The situational issues with the offense and the playcalling have been systemic and not just limited to last year.

If you are denying that, you are just looking for excuses to eliminate any shred of blame from Garrett whatsoever.

This is simply true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Who is denying that? I've said the offense has problems, for which Garrett is to blame.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who is denying that? I said the offense has problems, for which Garrett is to blame.
But you refuse to acknowledge the problem outright and you fricking know it.

There is always the "well, it is not the biggest problem". Just like "oh, I think he's an average coach, but....".

Jason Garrett, in practically every season since he became the full time head coach, has had a minimum of two games per season where you can directly pin a loss on his ineffectiveness. Period.

We can bitch about Jerry over and over again, but this is just a simple fact that most people acknowledge.

Except you.

Genghis Khan

Ravi accurately stated my position, which is also the only correct position, being that, the offense has it's problems but it's far from the biggest.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did someone say the offense is the biggest problem?

Not the biggest problem and sharing in the blame are not mutually exclusive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But you refuse to acknowledge the problem outright and you fricking know it.

There is always the "well, it is not the biggest problem". Just like "oh, I think he's an average coach, but....".
The defense was a bigger problem than the offense this year. I don't see how that statement means I'm "refusing to acknowledge" Garrett's offensive problems, which, if you were to claim he didn't run the ball enough, or he mismanaged the clock, or the offense didn't consistently sustain drives, I'd agree with. So I am acknowledging those problems.

Your problem (along with Geng, NoDak, and the rest) is mostly that I don't call for a punitive Garrett firing with the same volume I opposed the Wade hiring.

Genghis Khan

The defense was a bigger problem than the offense this year. I don't see how that statement means I'm "refusing to acknowledge" Garrett's offensive problems, which, if you were to claim he didn't run the ball enough, or he mismanaged the clock, or the offense didn't consistently sustain drives, I'd agree with. So I am acknowledging those problems.

Your problem (along with Geng, NoDak, and the rest) is mostly that I don't call for a punitive Garrett firing with the same volume I opposed the Wade hiring.
Punitive? It's not punitive.

He's not good enough. Time for someone else. This is how the league works.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Punitive? It's not punitive.

He's not good enough. Time for someone else. This is how the league works.
That's basically the definition of punitive. Punishment for faults, his fault being all the things you say make him not good enough like clock mismanagement and lack of dedication to the run.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And why you don't when he has been more responsible for mediocre football from the Dallas Cowboys, I have no idea.

Phillips won more. Had the same handicap working with Jones. Pretty much the same players.

And oh yeah, Garrett was calling the plays then too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Okay, even factoring in that the defense was still more to blame, Garrett is the HC and ultimately responsible for both sides of the ball.

Genghis Khan

I didn't claim anyone said that.

I was only stating my position, by way of piggybacking on what Ravi said.
Then why is it part of your argument?

Even JJT said "if the offense was good." He didn't say "if the offense wasn't the biggest problem."

You are arguing against something nobody said.

I think the point JJT was making was, the offense a problem too, even if the numbers might appear otherwise. And I'd agree with that.

Top Bottom